A study in the US has found that having four or more tattoos is linked to high self-esteem and confidence...

Don Crack

Women with four or more tattoos were found to have higher self-esteem than those with less or no tatts.  The researchers behind the study think this might be down to the fact that body art plays a part in identifying with oneself. It's all about self-expression, after all. 

Jerome Koch, who lead the research, told Science Daily what he was hoping to achieve through his findings: 'We wanted to find out, to what extent does the acquisition of body art correlate to a sense of well-being or a greater sense of self?'

He hinted that he wanted to explore the assumptions that can still surround tattoos, saying: 'instead of talking about deviance, it’s about wellness.'

Unfortunately, whilst the level of self-confidence went up along with the number of tattoos, so did reported levels of depression.
The study suggests that inkings may bring meaning after a life-changing event: 'Just as breast cancer survivors and abuse victims acquire tattoos and piercings to restore physical losses... we think the women in our study may be trying to restore emotional losses with more tattoos.'

It's worth pointing out that the women were not questioned on why they got their tattoos. And, of course, women choose to work ink for a variety of different reasons, whether it's a meaningful quote or a funny cartoon character just for LOLs. 

• Downvote 1

People have tattoos = want to show off tattoos = wear less clothing in tattoo areas = have to be quite confident to expose more flesh

Logical argument

and maybe the higher levels of depression are a result of the self esteem only being linked to vanity.

Once the shallow bubble burst's they maybe realise they haven't got much else to be happy about.

every time I've been with a girl with a tat i feel like I've blocked it out till i forget it exists. Would hate to know I'm growing old with a tatted up woman. most women i get with have 1-3... once i see a sleeve coming, think i would lose interest if it wasn't serious yet

why do fire lighties always have the worst tats :(