Lionel Messi

Guest Its Me Bitches

I didn't rate his decision to retire, so I'm glad he reversed it...

I'm intrigued to see what mentality Messi plays with during the next 2 years and essentially how determined he is to succeed with Argentina. The adversity, scrutiny and devastating failure of recent events and tournaments should propel such a legend to even greater things and instigate an emphatic response to his critics.

Messi is an extraordinary player with sublime natural ability and bewildering consistency. It's been a privilege to witness his career, despite struggling to reproduce the levels and influence of his club performances on the international stage when it mattered most. We live in a world where people are guilty of taking many things for granted, an inspirational Lionel Messi is certainly one of those, unfortunately.

Hopefully Argentina can discover their very own Eder and Messi can complete his legacy to end any debate about his status among the greatest of all time.

• Upvote 1

You mean, they can find 100 Eders but as long as Higuain is missing 1v1s as per usual, there is no chance of winning. :lmao:

In all seriousness, you have a point about Messi's lack of charisma being a deficiency as captain - he's quiet, shy and introverted. Don't overlook the fact Tata was the manager, he's an atrocious coach who compounded the problems as opposed to alleviating them and providing solutions for the team. Sabella was a joke too.

I see what you did there, haha. The irony is that while Cristiano managed to have that impact from the touch line and various intervals during the final, whenever he was on the pitch in the Euros, he primarily stifled, intimidated and discouraged his teammates. Portugal grew in stature as a team from the moment they reorganised when Cristiano was substituted and they elevated their game...

I actually don't think Messi is a conventional natural leader, he relies on his performance to lead, inspire and rally the team. When that fails him (nobody will always play well or even contribute), he doesn't appear to have much to fall back on... An ideal captain would possess more than that - typical leadership and motivational skills and a greater ability to influence players socially/psychologically. The only time I recall that his mere presence made such a noticeable difference was when he came off the bench against PSG at the Camp Nou in the CL Quarter-finals 2nd leg in 2013.

It's arguably too much pressure for Messi to captain his country and replicate the type of performances he delivers for Barcelona, at this stage of his career - Maradona was built for it, but very few are. I feel playing with Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Abidal, Alves, Busquests, Mascherano, Pique, Suarez, Neymar, etc., afforded Messi the type of support on the pitch and in the dressing room, that runs deeper than footballing ability and quality - these guys are different characters, personalities or leaders who unite contingents within a team, if not the entire collective.

Anyway, wearing the armband has been tainted in some respects, to me it's awarded as if it signifies less and less these days - merely a show of who is recognised as the best player, as opposed to the best candidate - Hazard (Belgium), Messi (Argentina), Ronaldo (Portugal) come to mind. 

• Upvote 4

Sho

Club level and International level are two different types of pressure.

So Messi going missing in three finals is now Sabella y Tata's fault but when he was mocking in the group stages the coach didn't get credit at all.

If Higuain and Kun are missing chances(same guys at club level score 30+ a season while Eder scores 3 a season) you encourage and tell them they are going to score but you need leadership and motivational skills for that.

You can't give him all the praise only to defend him and excuse him from blame when he doesn't deliver when it really matters.

Cristiano Ronaldo played a big part in that final the way he motaviated and kept on encouraging his team mates.

I have seen new age International captains with zero leadership do nothing when things are not going their way.

Examples 

Thiago Silva bottled it refused to take a pen against Chile in the 2nd round, the guy was so shook he was in tears.

Neymar(one of the worst captains in modern times) left Chile 2015 to go Disneyland because he didn't want to support his team mates if he isn't playing due to his suspension.

The fuckbwai said something what's the point of training when you can't play so he left the camp.

As for Messi see Brazil 2014 during extra time instead of motivating his team mates he was walking around with his head down(looking at the floor like he was gettin screwed by some next mans)

Cristiano Ronaldo they say he was cheerleading(look at the last seven words "leading")

Cristiano Ronaldo played from the start wasn't wearing a suit 

He got injured by PL flavour of the moment.

Without his goal and an assist they wouldn't be playing that final 

Instead of him hiding on the bench or looking at floor he was leading his country from the bench and the whole team responded 

Captain Charisma right there

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, O Fenomeno said:

Cristiano Ronaldo played from the start wasn't wearing a suit 

He got injured by PL flavour of the moment.

Without his goal and an assist they wouldn't be playing that final 

Instead of him hiding on the bench or looking at floor he was leading his country from the bench and the whole team responded 

Captain Charisma right there

he defo watched king james in game 7 in June like

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Knew the milner meg would be the finale :lol:

• Upvote 3