HERMIONE GRANGER GONE BLACK

underwriter

The Black Actress Playing Hermione Has the Best Comeback to Racist Critics

landscape-1452520702-hermione-granger-ca

The beloved characters of the Harry Potter world are hitting the stage this summer in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but with two major differences. First of all, the Hogwarts BFFs are now adults with children of their own. And second of all, as opposed to the film's casting, the actress playing Hermione Granger is black.

British actress Noma Dumezweni has been cast as the brave and studious heroine, and both J.K. Rowling and Emma Watson have given her their enthusiastic approvals. But despite the fact that Hermione's race is never mentioned in Rowling's books (just her brown eyes and frizzy hair), some fans were not cool with changing their own visions of Hermione.

Dumezweni has no patience for people like that. In an interview with the Evening Standard, she said she has dealt with "unconscious" racism throughout her career, so it's sadly nothing new. "It stems from ignorance," she said. "They don't want to be a part of the creative act.

To say it's not as it was intended is so unimaginative. I don't think they understand how theater works. We're here to heal you, make you smile and whisk you away."

Glad I don't give a shit about Harry Potter movies lol. Why does it have to be Unconscious Racism though because people don't want to change the vision they were given of the character. I remember when they did Knight Rider 2000 and changed K.I.T.T into some Red Sports car, I wasn't having it at all. Glad Cars don't catch feelings.

Glad I don't give a shit about Harry Potter movies lol. Why does it have to be Unconscious Racism though because people don't want to change the vision they were given of the character. I remember when they did Knight Rider 2000 and changed K.I.T.T into some Red Sports car, I wasn't having it at all. Glad Cars don't catch feelings.

:rofl:

trust me don

It's Harry Potter though lol. I'm guessing their target audiance is Harry Potter Fans, those same Harry Potter Fans who rushed out to watch the movies and made it some multi billion dollar success and have already had a vision imprinted into their minds of what the character looks like. I can see why they would be pulling their faces at the change. Might as well get a chick to play Harry as well like they do with Peter Pan.

I don't like that personally. But that's just my own preference. The idea of a grown woman playing Peter Pan to me is stupid. I understand why it happened in the past but not this generation. Would only make sense if there were no young dudes left on the planet with the ability to play his character.