The thin line between Mates Rate, Bring-ins & Friendship

Afroman

When is ok to ask your friend for a hook up? or is it ever ok to do so? I just feel like sometimes people think they have a pass to a discount or first dibs just because they are friends. I have seen friends fall out over this issue in the past. 

personally, If I have a family or friend running a business and its a start up, I am going to pay the rate he/she is asking for and I wouldn't bring the discount issue up, until I have repeated business a few times. 

I also find it strange how people are happy to pay someone they don't know a higher rate than a discount rate they have been offered by a friend. Simply because they are just not happy with the discount the friend offered. 

If you're gonna mix friends and business have clearly defined boundaries.

Me personally would try to avoid it.

Too many obstacles and pitfalls even with best intentions on both sides.

Dunno why anyone would be offended by being asked... especially if they're the type to ask you for free promotion over fb or other social media outlets

15 hours ago, Afroman said:

I also find it strange how people are happy to pay someone they don't know a higher rate than a discount rate they have been offered by a friend. Simply because they are just not happy with the discount the friend offered. 

Also.... I don't care if I know you....  Buying from Philip Green gives me certain assurances.... If my mate can match those, and at a more convenient price, then coool, you'll have my monies...

People shouldn't just expect you to buy from them because you know them though 

I came to this realisation 4 years ago.

2 of my friends are in a band and they were playing in Manchester when I'd recently moved and I'd never been to a concert/gig so hit them up but clocked how much work they actually put into it I copped a ticket so I could get them to sign it as my first concert, they sold merch after and I copped a few and also a vinyl, Ive never owned a vinyl player before or since but literally at that moment I clocked supporting my people is more than sharing fb posts or whatever and that means supporting what they do not giving them extra costs to show your face.

So since then if anyone I know is doing something I pay full price and chat to them about how it's going what they to overcome etc. They love them chats.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Afroman said:

Don't take it personally bro.

You will always be seen as the friend before they see you as a professional ...

You might even be better than the professional but it's a flaw in their perspective.

Anybody who can't find value is the loser in the long run.

Worse when man talk about they do this they do that or say they can bring guys in or have brought guys in but when you need one they start umming and ahhing