no black middle class neighborhood in uk

Supermalt

1 hour ago, Brem said:

Where is there a black middle class area anywhere in the western world?

I was wondering this too. I mean I imagine there's areas in the US where there's many middle class black people, but I wouldn't expect there to be a low amount of white people too.

But there's worth a discussion of "why are there middle class Indian areas in the UK but not middle class black areas?"

5 hours ago, dub said:

I was wondering this too. I mean I imagine there's areas in the US where there's many middle class black people, but I wouldn't expect there to be a low amount of white people too.

But there's worth a discussion of "why are there middle class Indian areas in the UK but not middle class black areas?"

In Atlanta, DC & Cali there are. I'm sure other states with good economies and sizeable black populations or HCBU's have their fair share too.

/

Despite some of the shared values, If you see black people in the UK as one big black monolith, you ain't gonna get down to the reasons why

• Upvote 1

:lol:

but really, how am I a "beg"?

I'm contributing to the discussion, perhaps putting negative observations and assumptions of the lives/status of black people, but that gives others who may have more knowledge the opportunity to refute it and educate the rest of the forum too

11 hours ago, Platinum50 said:

Too much media consumption lol

Nail on the head

But dub is a classic example of what repeated messages and images pushed into ur brain day in day out gets u

If dub is part black an submits to prejudice unaware of his own ignorance is  it any wonder y non blacks view blacks or even how blacks view themselves 

This all has knock on effects

A man could live his whole life thinkin black people in the west are doomed to failure  an inadvertently teach this to his children. He could make many life decisions which somehow result from his prejudice

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Grafter said:

Nail on the head

But dub is a classic example of what repeated messages and images pushed into ur brain day in day out gets u

If dub is part black an submits to prejudice unaware of his own ignorance is  it any wonder y non blacks view blacks or even how blacks view themselves 

This all has knock on effects

A man could live his whole life thinkin black people in the west are doomed to failure  an inadvertently teach this to his children. He could make many life decisions which somehow result from his prejudice

Definitely not the only person with that assumption. Vast majority of the western public probably can't even imagine it, specifically for black people. 

As been said before it makes more sense the US has them compared to here, but at the same time doesn't as we're also generations deep. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supermalt said:

Definitely not the only person with that assumption. Vast majority of the western public probably can't even imagine it, specifically for black people. 

As been said before it makes more sense the US has them compared to here, but at the same time doesn't as we're also generations deep. 

Who is we?

Didnt the majority of affs come here in 80s/90s? That is 20/30 years max to set a foundation for yourself and your youtsdem. And really the large majority of those, as the stats will back up, came mainly post-blair, which is 96 onwards. 

• Upvote 2

Regarrs caribbeans. Majority came in the 60s an everyone knows the type of jobs etc

But i would bet that most Caribbeans that came at that time own their properties. The next generation the children of the first wave went through a hell of alot which has put everyone on the back foot from there

Yes institutionalised racism is real as we all know. The effects of it are not to be dismissed.

I asked my aunty why we didnt buy up Brixton and at first she put us down then she thought about it. She told me that whilst houses were relatively cheap an it was relatively easy to get a mortgage u had to have a stable job which a lot of our men largely  jus didn't have. They had jobs but not ur regular stable got me a pension type work. 

This is not because they wern smart enough or capable. The playinf field has never been level so drawin comparisojs with asians for example is redundant

Oh but we could have had corner shops or something similar. No that wasnt the path we were on for sooo many reasons

Ive said it before but before we put ourselves down an write ourselves off...think holistically about events. Think about what has been achieved both here and back home

• Upvote 3

you think its an issue of too much media consumption, but how hard is it not to be able to imagine it if I've never witnessed it though? this is a topic about there being no black middle class neighbourhoods in the UK, which most people seem to agree on that there isn't - why should I know about it in the US?

the common observation is when black people get to middle-class level career-wise they move out into what would have been middle-class white areas, what is supposed to lead people to think otherwise?

Youve never witnessed Latino middle class areas in the UK with your own eyes because there are none but you said you had no issue believing they had them in the USA though lol. 

So its defo not an issue with whether you have witnessed something or not making it hard for you to imagine .

Think about it black people have been in america for over 400 years and are basically  20% of the whole US population... & you can't imagine black middle class areas lol.

• Upvote 3

I've witnessed middle class Latino areas in San Francisco

My belief was where there are middle class black people, there generally are also either working class black people or middle class white people.

also the issue could be that I have a distorted view of what middle class is