Young Bape

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/03/2018 at 3:47 PM, WhiteB said:

Come in last night and the water pipe for the washing machine is frozen

Wake up this morning to no hot water

Now my clothes get stuck in the launderette washing machine for 2 hours as the pipe froze mid cycle 

Similar thing happened to me yday. 

My boiler stopped working.

Called home insurance, no one picking up.

Googled the likely problem. Turns out one of the pressure pipes outside had frozen.  Poured hot water from the kettle on to it, reset. All working again. Happy days. Was not looking forward to showering in ice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Afroman said:

Similar thing happened to me yday. 

My boiler stopped working.

Called home insurance, no one picking up.

Googled the likely problem. Turns out one of the pressure pipes outside had frozen.  Poured hot water from the kettle on to it, reset. All working again. Happy days. Was not looking forward to showering in ice.

Same thing happening to me, frozen over 3 times now.

So basically with your boiler you have a pipe (normally on the far right at the bottom if you have a combi boiler) called the condensate pipe

This pipe dispenses water from the boiler as waste so it will go out the back of the wall to outside. If you look at the wall outside of your boiler you will see it normally as a white PVC pipe or a small 15mm copper pipe

If it's long enough you should go wickes or whatever, buy some pipe lagging and make sure that it's insulated as much as possible

If the water in there freezes it will lock off your boiler and you will have no heating/hot water. If it happens to you all you have to do is boil the kettle and pour boiling water on the pipe 2/3 times until it melts and you should be okay after that like Afro said

You should lag all outside water pipes even for hoses etc, when water freezes it expands causing leaks etc.

• Like 4

• User unpinned this topic