Jump to content

Learning To Code


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Started reading about programming in early 2017 since I had a lot of time on my hands & wanted to do something legitimate. Messed around with C#, moved on to Javascript, just making stuff and prac

Starting my ISTQB QA course this week.  I hope to sit the exam by the end of next month. Currently getting some mentoring by my uncle who works as QA I'll be attending some meet ups and

Update!! So got my first Job offer as QA analyst contractor today. 3 stage interview. Phone call last week, Face to Face on Monday, Met with the HR today, Got called late afternoon. I w

I did an upholstery course in the evenings...I enjoy it but at the moment I don't av the space to do it. When I do have the space I sew an upholster, varnish, re paint

 

What kinda trade are you thinkin of?

Also jumped on the programming wave...learning Python and doing a Django project...I'm also enjoying this very much

 

Which languages

@Funkyskanker @Supermalt

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Funkyskanker said:

Im on Python these dev salaries are a madness guys clearing 80k+ calm doing what first year comp sci student are doing lol. hopefully a year from now i'll be making the full transition  

This is what I'm sayin. How long have you been doin it?

@time_bomb i use online tutorials. I used the djangogirls tutorial to get started with django and I use the stackexchange forum a lot

I started off with Code Academy ages ago doin html an css. On my phone I used the sololearn app to start learning python on the way to work.

Also princeton and MIT have a lot of their course tutorials online. Princeton definitely has an introduction to python with loads of example code

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grafter said:

This is what I'm sayin. How long have you been doin it?

@time_bomb i use online tutorials. I used the djangogirls tutorial to get started with django and I use the stackexchange forum a lot

I started off with Code Academy ages ago doin html an css. On my phone I used the sololearn app to start learning python on the way to work.

Also princeton and MIT have a lot of their course tutorials online. Princeton definitely has an introduction to python with loads of example code

 

been on it seriously for about 3 months but on and off longer than that ngl certain days it feels long. It's only right more people jump on it to £at right from what i've been reading most spend programmers spend their day copy/pasting code all  from google and stack overflow they and they are still caked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yh i agree some days it is definitely long but when i make a break through the feeling is immense.

I also agree a lot of it is copy pasting adapting. You still have to know how things work, the principles so you kno the right questions to ask. There is soo much to learn it would be impossible to do it all before tryin to get paid

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grafter said:

Yh i agree some days it is definitely long but when i make a break through the feeling is immense.

I also agree a lot of it is copy pasting adapting. You still have to know how things work, the principles so you kno the right questions to ask. There is soo much to learn it would be impossible to do it all before tryin to get paid

 

truuu but still might try though nothing to loose. how long have you been on it?

went from cooking crack to cracking code #reallife

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Funkyskanker said:

truuu but still might try though nothing to loose. how long have you been on it?

went from cooking crack to cracking code #reallife

Couple months seriously

Hopin to have confidence to apply in about 6 months

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Coding looks interesting. It seems to be the fastest growing Universal language, that people going into the IT sector must understand to be considered in the future. 

I found it rather boring when I looked into it a few years back. But, I have had to learn the basics recently. We are launching this Cloudproffessor (Software/Hardware solution) at work, that is designed for Schools and 'Coding for dummies' basically. They gave me a pre production unit back in january to get familiar with and learn and its a lot easier to understand and grasp the basics at least. Its quite and all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the programming wave.

Python's always a good place to start but as you progress, you want to make sure you're learning a stack which is popular and has lots of jobs in the city you want to work in. 

Smaddy is right also. You need to dive into the deep end and push yourself. Once you have the basics down, start applying. 

A lot of people also don't realise that in the tech industry there are a lot of jobs, most of which pay very well but not all are programming jobs. QA, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters, etc all command a fairly decent wage. The easiest one to get into is QA. Technically, QA's commanding the big wages have to code, doing automation, etc. But I know lots of people, who can't code to save their lives but earn close to six figures doing this job contracting.

/

I've always wanted to give horticulture a go, and will do at some point. Not necessarily a trade but I've been learning to snowboard over the last couple of months. That's been awesome.  Winter holidays are mad  

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been keepin my eye on the job boards and there currently quite  a lot of python jobs but I think java is more popular for app development 

I also read tho that python is leadin when it comes to machine learnin which is the future.

 

What languanges do u do @Mr. Martinez

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Drift said:

If you can, jump on SQL.

I use it as part of my job, it's a gateway to a lot of niche hidden fields you can move into.

This this this. Missed on big bucks not having this skill down but everything else. 

10 hours ago, Grafter said:

I did an upholstery course in the evenings...I enjoy it but at the moment I don't av the space to do it. When I do have the space I sew an upholster, varnish, re paint

 

What kinda trade are you thinkin of?

Also jumped on the programming wave...learning Python and doing a Django project...I'm also enjoying this very much

 

Which languages

@Funkyskanker @Supermalt

Making my way through JS atm

Link to post
Share on other sites

I work on the front end so most of my time is spent using Javascript. 

That sounds like a good avenue actually. Python is used by top companies and good developers are hard to come by. If you're just starting out and can show promise, a lot of companies would rather get you in and show you what's what, then get someone else in, who's already prescribed in their ways, and already has an idea of what's what. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, time_bomb said:

So are you lot learning this then applying for jobs or learning it to get a qualification to go into a job?

You don't need any qualifications for a job as a developer. It's true, some silly companies only hire students out of certain universities or with certain type of degrees. On the whole though, no particular qualification is required and people are hired on the merits of what they can show they know during interview stages. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Money into IT space is stupid 

 

Business intelligence specialists 

Machine learning scientists 

Data Analyst

Optimization specialists 

 

All so short of good, competent people 

 

Data isn't about just the tech side anymore, they need people that are creative, can tell a story and make business recommendations with it too. So great time for everyone who is interested in these types of "big data" roles, it programming isn't just what you want to move into 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drift said:

If you can, jump on SQL.

I use it as part of my job, it's a gateway to a lot of niche hidden fields you can move into.

Yes this is on my list. I had a chat with some team who use it at work. I wanna do back end

Recommend microsoft virtual academy. Lots of free courses including a business intelligence section

 

/

 

vip codin club?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...