Learning To Code

Supermalt

@Grafter - It would be financially good to go straight into contracting but it might be less stressful and easier to get a permenant role. End of the day contractors are 'experts' in their field. If I was you I'd bang out a few personal projects and then tell recruiters you're looking for a mid level role.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

slow, still tryna find a direction I want to head in, I know it's python I want to master but theres so many aspects, data science, robotics, AI, web development. i get stuck in the hundreds of different technologies i can use and learn, docker, cloud services, databases then things like django, pyramid etc. I before need to carry on with just python and a level + maths but i dont really have a project or basic idea where I'm taking it and that keeps stalling it. but I'm closer to where I want to be than when I started so thats something

Yh at least youve made progress.  Machine learnin an AI keep comin up in python job searches. It's exciting too. P

Just now, Mr. Martinez said:

@Grafter - It would be financially good to go straight into contracting but it might be less stressful and easier to get a permenant role. End of the day contractors are 'experts' in their field. If I was you I'd bang out a few personal projects and then tell recruiters you're looking for a mid level role.

Thanks

I have two projects up at the moment. One is a appointment bookin site an the other a blog site which you can upload pics with.

Mid level permanent role?

I've been applyin for both an recognise what ur sayin. 

6 minutes ago, Grafter said:

Are you stuck? 

What u gna switch to? 

/

Been readin about jupyter. Perfect for what im doin now. Good shout @QPR Dee

yeah, just feels like im going nowhere, and the frustration is affecting my focus and discipline so i end up doing fuck all when im trying to set out a plan or learn something.

need a change of scenery

gonna either look at investing in stock as i finished a book on that in the past year or post GCSE maths. Need to lay off the tech stuff for a while I think

Motivation could be hard.

I took the approach my mentor gave me. He said 'you have to  hate the current position/Job you are in to really have the full focus'

That was what I had to do to recalibrate.

I love my job, but I spent a couple months convincing my self it's to move on.

It also helps when to have a friend or 2 on the same goal. I'll probably say set your self weekly or monthly goals.

Also use every platform you can to study. YouTube videos, convert video classes into audio and play it in the whip. Read other forums (Reddit)as well and see how people have got on.

I purchased some courses off udemy. They are bit size and easy to digest.

It's gradual. Take it one step at a time.

19 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

yeah, just feels like im going nowhere, and the frustration is affecting my focus and discipline so i end up doing fuck all when im trying to set out a plan or learn something.

need a change of scenery

gonna either look at investing in stock as i finished a book on that in the past year or post GCSE maths. Need to lay off the tech stuff for a while I think

Sometimes im stuck for days

Are you postin ur issues on stackoverflow? Never be afraid to ask seriously. Sometimes im googlin for an answer an its pages deep. Or i have to slightly change my search terms.

Why not have a couple projects going even 3 or 4. Then when u get stuck on one do somethin kind of know how to do on another one. Keep ur confidence up.  

Agree with afros point about motivation an not bein happy where u are

14 minutes ago, Afroman said:

Motivation could be hard.

I took the approach my mentor gave me. He said 'you have to  hate the current position/Job you are in to really have the full focus'

That was what I had to do to recalibrate.

I love my job, but I spent a couple months convincing my self it's to move on.

It also helps when to have a friend or 2 on the same goal. I'll probably say set your self weekly or monthly goals.

Also use every platform you can to study. YouTube videos, convert video classes into audio and play it in the whip. Read other forums (Reddit)as well and see how people have got on.

I purchased some courses off udemy. They are bit size and easy to digest.

It's gradual. Take it one step at a time.

tbf that first bit is right, i need to focus more on where I want to be and get out of where I am. I use youtube, reddit, khan academy, edX. the sheer amount of info though was daunting at the beginning though. deffo need to take it step by step and see it as a 5-10 year thing rather than I need to learn everything ASAP. May be easier to go library as well when I have time.

4 minutes ago, Grafter said:

Sometimes im stuck for days

Are you postin ur issues on stackoverflow? Never be afraid to ask seriously. Sometimes im googlin for an answer an its pages deep. Or i have to slightly change my search terms.

Why not have a couple projects going even 3 or 4. Then when u get stuck on one do somethin kind of know how to do on another one. Keep ur confidence up.  

Agree with afros point about motivation an not bein happy where u are

mainly just reddit, but a lot of the time i give up for like 30 minutes before I even start looking so i waste a lot of time. I think I need a reset. will get rid of everything Im stuck on and just start new things after the break and get back to studying, rather than focus on the amount of time Ive not been stuck and getting nowhere. But ill keep like 2 or 3 projects once i start 

• 2 weeks later...

My course as been going great so far. Its mad how much I have learnt in the space of a month and a half (fundamentals of SDLC, manual testing and practicing  testing techniques via group projects and what not.

I am on the automation side of things now. using QTP & Visual basic studio/Selenium. Its hard I aint gonna lie. My mentor reckons once I know the fundamentals and practice building frameworks, I should be fine. The rest will be thought at work.. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Incumbent said:

so you gonna ignore the question i asked you @Afroman?

On 26/06/2017 at 11:51 AM, Incumbent said:

big up!!!

who you doing the course with?

Sorry my bad  

I was recommended to me through an ex  colleague

This is the site 

http://www.testingelearn.co.uk

Its run by an AF uncor , so it might not be your cup of tea. But he is a top test lead manager, he knows the industry inside out and he as the PLUG.

They teach from a practical point, rather than theoretical angle. So it still needs a bit of self learning.

It is what you make it. For me, I made use of the contact list for ex students and colleagues from their private google group. Built a good relationship, met up with some and now use them as a source of info. 

The classes are not much important

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Grafter said:

Hows everyone goin?

Right now im tryin to do/complete some projects that i am happy to have in my public github

Just got to pattern Redux (nearly done)  and I'll speed learn Mocha for testing & I've got everything most of the react jobs on indeed ask for.

I've got quite a few mess around projects and stuff I done for myself and people, will change them up a bit before I throw them on github.

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel >>>

When I master it, im gonna do a learning site for react & redux as a side hustle. Most of the teaching stuff is monotone and boring, there is a gap in the market for enthusiastic and fun teaching styles

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Platinum50 said:

Just got to pattern Redux (nearly done)  and I'll speed learn Mocha for testing & I've got everything most of the react jobs on indeed ask for.

I've got quite a few mess around projects and stuff I done for myself and people, will change them up a bit before I throw them on github.

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel >>>

When I master it, im gonna do a learning site for react & redux as a side hustle. Most of the teaching stuff is monotone and boring, there is a gap in the market for enthusiastic and fun teaching styles

Sounds good...have u made any job applications yet?

19 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

back in the flow now after a little break, got some ideas of what I wanna do but Im moving more towards hardware and shit, just writing scripts and shit or dealing with servers is pissing me off

Care to share? Hardware ideas?

I understand the frustration u need to see the production otherwise it gets borin