Learning To Code

Supermalt

Just now, Grafter said:

Care to share? Hardware ideas?

I understand the frustration u need to see the production otherwise it gets borin

building things with raspberry pi's/micro controllers and shit. robots/drones, object detection using cameras etc, really interested in the self driving car tech and AI in general but thats a next thing. got an idea to put a camera in a bird house in my garden with a small camera inside and take pics of any bird that comes in. I been trying to learn scripting or whatever but i keep coming back to this, Im just not into web development and scripting stuff like i thought I was. luckily python handles all I want to do so dont need to learn anymore javascript than the basics I know

26 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

building things with raspberry pi's/micro controllers and shit. robots/drones, object detection using cameras etc, really interested in the self driving car tech and AI in general but thats a next thing. got an idea to put a camera in a bird house in my garden with a small camera inside and take pics of any bird that comes in. I been trying to learn scripting or whatever but i keep coming back to this, Im just not into web development and scripting stuff like i thought I was. luckily python handles all I want to do so dont need to learn anymore javascript than the basics I know

Fair play. Gta love what ur doing to be able to carry on

Look forward to seeing this bird camera take shape. I can never get my camera out quickly an quietly enough to capture a bird

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grafter said:

Fair play. Gta love what ur doing to be able to carry on

Look forward to seeing this bird camera take shape. I can never get my camera out quickly an quietly enough to capture a bird

i get ideas like this from time to time, its just finding the time and effort to spend hours debugging something and googling why it wont turn on lol. gonna set time limits per day as well so im not spending 4 hour aimlessly googling one thing I cant work out

1 minute ago, QPR Dee said:

i get ideas like this from time to time, its just finding the time and effort to spend hours debugging something and googling why it wont turn on lol. gonna set time limits per day as well so im not spending 4 hour aimlessly googling one thing I cant work out

Do you plan out the project on paper first?

Draw it out. Section it off an do bits. Each bit should be something u can see the result for like a tangible outcome

When u have a big idea it's easy to get overwhelmed. But if u plan it in chunks now when u get stuck u can still progress ur project by completing another separate chunk

Just now, Grafter said:

Do you plan out the project on paper first?

Draw it out. Section it off an do bits. Each bit should be something u can see the result for like a tangible outcome

When u have a big idea it's easy to get overwhelmed. But if u plan it in chunks now when u get stuck u can still progress ur project by completing another separate chunk

yeah started doing that last year, walk around with a notepad now to write down ideas. i tried apps and stuff but paper and pen seems to work better because i just dont look back on the apps.

although i dont plan it out as well as I could. and im not consistent in what I do. just need to find the best way i can work

Loving the progress guys. I would say when it comes to github, don't be scared to have everything on there. The greener your activity graph is, the better you look. Also devs and people that hire devs are usually understanding. No one expects you to write perfect, beautiful code from the start. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Loving the progress guys. I would say when it comes to github, don't be scared to have everything on there. The greener your activity graph is, the better you look. Also devs and people that hire devs are usually understanding. No one expects you to write perfect, beautiful code from the start. 

Ah wish I knew before lol. I keep keep the majority of stuff I make on my PC unless I know I want this on github

2 hours ago, Grafter said:

Sounds good...have u made any job applications yet?

Not yet, I like to do stuff linearly. Will start real soon

4 minutes ago, Rippy said:

Sorry I've not read this thread but anyone know what are the stepping stones to working with APIs?

Currently assigned to API work from business side and feeling to do some side courses to support technical grasp, but no idea where to begin.

I found this topic very very difficult when i first tried to understand what an API even is.

You might find it helpful to try out the twilio api. It allows u to integrate sms messagin to ur app. So if u have a website u can "plug twilio in"

I say try twilio because i think theres quite a few examples in different programming languages

In brief u sign up to twilio get ur user credentials an code those into ur app. Then u follow the instructions that twilio provides in terms of where to put what bits of code.

https://www.twilio.com/docs/api/rest/sending-messages

Another type if api could jus be something that exposes the raw data of a website like http://www.legislation.gov.uk/developer/searching

In python u would use the requests library and a web scraper to access the information in the way that the API prescribes (which is just search parameters after the web address).

The legislation website is actually not very helpful because it doesn't provide any examples

All APIs i think will be slightly different in terms of the code you have to include in your own app to make it work

/

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/02/beginners-guide-jquery-based-json-api-clients/

I skimmed this but looks like a good explanation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rippy said:

Sorry I've not read this thread but anyone know what are the stepping stones to working with APIs?

Currently assigned to API work from business side and feeling to do some side courses to support ongoing technical grasp, but no idea where to begin.

In what sort of context are you having to work with APIs?

It can be confusing to understand what an API is/does because it can serve a different purpose depending on the context.

When you make a post on this forum you're making a request to VIP2's server using an API which is expecting the request, and then handled by the browser.

An API can also be provided by a third party company like Smaddy's example which allows you to give external functionality to your users without having to leave your own website. For example, using Spotify's API to allow people to search for music.

In the examples above, API's are basically just URL's which allow you to perform some action on a server.

In a different context, Javascript frameworks such as React provide an API to allow users to use the framework. These are just public objects/methods, that allow users to carry out some action. 

• Like 2

Thanks for resources, will dig in this eve. 

In the context of banking - so yeah exposure of data and also read/write APIs like payment initiation.

If I read through basic specifications of those that expose data, I broadly get it but am tasked with how to improve them, for example by building in filtering/search functionality to avoid speed issues in returning bulk data, or say adding nearby search requests for locator APIs. I'm having to read existing proved APIs like Mastercard to pull out what they've got but not quite fully understanding it.

I'll check out Stripe though and compare across providers as think that's the faster route then attending courses/starting from scratch in learning languages, at least for time being. Might watch some tutorials.

hard to know without the full picture

but figuring out how to to improve an API should be pretty easy once you understand how it works

e.g.  

• If I'm making 3 API calls to complete 1 task and just passing back the results to the next API call - why can't it be 1 call
  • If I'm having to parse data and modify it, make calculations on the client side - can't the server handling the API do these calculations so there's less room for error?

REST will be the likely API type you're using, but something new in the game is GraphQL, what I'm currently working with and developing at my company. Its created by Facebook people, and is pretty revolutionary terms of producing a flexible API. The tooling is good, and Apollo, a GraphQL client tools project has quite a few big names helping with the development too. Its also built to integrate well with React.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love this thread. Not coding but more OS.

Secured the Microsoft 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server + 70-462 Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases.

Need to do the last 70-411 to complete the Microsoft MCSA then I'll do a cloud cert in Azure or AWS.

Then I'm 100% jumping on the coding wave, looks interesting.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2017 at 6:55 AM, dub said:

hard to know without the full picture

but figuring out how to to improve an API should be pretty easy once you understand how it works

e.g.  

• If I'm making 3 API calls to complete 1 task and just passing back the results to the next API call - why can't it be 1 call
  • If I'm having to parse data and modify it, make calculations on the client side - can't the server handling the API do these calculations so there's less room for error?

REST will be the likely API type you're using, but something new in the game is GraphQL, what I'm currently working with and developing at my company. Its created by Facebook people, and is pretty revolutionary terms of producing a flexible API. The tooling is good, and Apollo, a GraphQL client tools project has quite a few big names helping with the development too. Its also built to integrate well with React.

overlooked this post. GraphQL is something I wanted to check out soonish too, starting to see it pop up in jobs aswell.