Learning To Code

Supermalt

1 hour ago, dayomesaydayo said:

Always interested in learning new things.

Especially if it could help me financially.

Heres the thing. im a really busy guy.

My schedule is RAM.

Is there any point of me learning this when i would probably only have like 20 minutes study time a day?

Reckon u can answer that for yourself mate

• 6 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 1:48 PM, Platinum50 said:

Keep at it g! Assessment for promotion at end of February so I'm just studying for that. Gonna try leave by 2020 so I can eat from this age of inflated developer wages.

Bagged this & it caused some workplace envy too 😂.

Recruiters & contractors I work with are saying I can start contracting with 1.5(if I am a chancer) to 2 years+ Portfolio +  can answer senior front-end & JS interview questions.

Is this true?  feels bare close, literally one more year for me.

One of my friends start doing that after 2 years exp. too I'm thinking rah, hella bands..

Hows it going for you guys?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, macz said:

@Mr. Martinez and the rest in the know, I did try learning code by basically teaching myself but I found I wernt putting enough effort an concentration in.

I feel like I'd learn better if I was on a course of some sort (online preferably as I'm working too)

Any recommnedations? Doesn't necessarily have to be free

Do an evening course,  fuck this online shit unless you living it.

20 hours ago, Da Luv Doc said:

Do an evening course,  fuck this online shit unless you living it.

I do shift work, so have to work evenings sometimes otherwise I would've done this bro

19 hours ago, DRC said:

You can find decent courses and content on Udemy, they tend to do a sale at the end of each month

Udemy good yeah?

You can sign up to a bootcamp. There are many in London. 

Most have 2 models:

Pay 5 to 15k and that's that (they usually have finance and split payment options)

Do it for free but they get 20% of your pay for a year or something 

If you want to do it the free way you usually have to be interviewed to get enrolled and have to demonstrate some sort of initial commitment to wanting to become a dev

/

Another way to get into the industry is by joining a company as a QA. If you're remotely computer savvy and really interested in the industry you could learn everything you need to in less than a month. Fake 1.5 years experience as a QA somewhere else and walk into a 30-45k a year job and learn to code once you're in. You may decide to stay a QA and learn automation. Or move on to the many other jobs that exist within development teams. 

Shout me if you need any help with any of the above @macz - always happy to help an OG 

5 hours ago, macz said:

I do shift work, so have to work evenings sometimes otherwise I would've done this bro

Udemy good yeah?

Ok I hear ya. I do evening classes, have done for the last nearly 4 years, learning one skill. Compared to others who don't, it's more of a reason to continue doing it without stopping 

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, Mr. Martinez said:

You can sign up to a bootcamp. There are many in London. 

Most have 2 models:

Pay 5 to 15k and that's that (they usually have finance and split payment options)

Do it for free but they get 20% of your pay for a year or something 

If you want to do it the free way you usually have to be interviewed to get enrolled and have to demonstrate some sort of initial commitment to wanting to become a dev

/

Another way to get into the industry is by joining a company as a QA. If you're remotely computer savvy and really interested in the industry you could learn everything you need to in less than a month. Fake 1.5 years experience as a QA somewhere else and walk into a 30-45k a year job and learn to code once you're in. You may decide to stay a QA and learn automation. Or move on to the many other jobs that exist within development teams. 

Shout me if you need any help with any of the above @macz - always happy to help an OG 

sorry for the late reply bro hardly come on here anymore, thanks for the info. I'll look into it deeper and hit you up