Learning To Code

Supermalt

11 hours ago, Drift said:

If you can, jump on SQL.

I use it as part of my job, it's a gateway to a lot of niche hidden fields you can move into.

I can't c/s this enough, currently employed as a sql database developer for a company that makes scouting software. Such a long way from where I started.

The  demand for sql professionals right now is so healthy. Way may demand than supply imo.

21 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

I can't c/s this enough, currently employed as a sql database developer for a company that makes scouting software. Such a long way from where I started.

The  demand for sql professionals right now is so healthy. Way may demand than supply imo.

Without baiting anything personal you dont want to...what sort of coin can you rake in??

When ive finished this part time degree im looking to either learn spanish properly or do something computer based

22 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

I done Sql and data warehouse as a degree, so I know the basics but I don't have work experience in it, so I'm doing my Oracle and Microsoft certification in summer.... But your right Sql is so healthy right now even as a entry level position... Your looking at 30k to 45k calm doing simple querys... Once your in the database industry you should be looking at data warehousing that's when u get the serious bucks 60k upwards..

Don't sleep on Sql trust me.. But it will be hard understand the diagrams ERD etc

This time next year I should be doing databases 

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2017 at 9:50 AM, Drift said:

If you can, jump on SQL.

I use it as part of my job, it's a gateway to a lot of niche hidden fields you can move into.

i'm sold, where do i start?

off for the next two weeks & looking to be productive as fuck

1 minute ago, Guest28 said:

I done Sql and data warehouse as a degree, so I know the basics but I don't have work experience in it, so I'm doing my Oracle and Microsoft certification in summer.... But your right Sql is so healthy right now even as a entry level position... Your looking at 30k to 45k calm doing simple querys... Once your in the database industry you should be looking at data warehousing that's when u get the serious bucks 60k upwards..

Don't sleep on Sql trust me.. But it will be hard understand the diagrams ERD etc

i'm sold, where do i start?

off for the next two weeks & looking to be productive as fuck

Been learning C# since last summer on and off and Javascript solidly for the past 3 months, started messing around with node + react and all that stuff recently.. When you learn one language, learning another is not even long, the fundamentals are all the same.  

When you think you got the basics down just start jumping in at the deep end trying to make stuff thats a bit beyond your skill level. 

Trying to get my foot stuck in this year

• Upvote 4

yes, please guys, just try to make something

i hear too many people who talk about how they started learning then just stopped

actually make something, it doesn't have to be something amazing, but if you're just learning and not actually using it you'll stop caring

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, QPR Dee said:

i thought SQL was being superseded by NoSQL databases for big data etc?

NoSQL is good for storing large data but doesn't hold up to sql for complicated powerful queries. Also SQL is much better dealing with heavy duty transactions. Like operations updating hundreds of thousands to millions of rows of data at a time etc.

14 hours ago, Anderson said:

Without baiting anything personal you dont want to...what sort of coin can you rake in??

When ive finished this part time degree im looking to either learn spanish properly or do something computer based

Not sure what London rates are but for me in Brum 30-35k is average and 60k is top end.  If you move into business intelligence and data warehousing then you can hit 70k top end.

14 hours ago, Guest28 said:

This is what i'm doing now. My company has a DW in place but it's shit and will need redesigning in the near future. I should be a massive part of that which is going to give me invaluable experience, and  It's literally the only part of my lacking on my CV.

Diagrams as a concept are difficult, but once you start relating them to the design of your database schema it becomes piss easy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

NoSQL is good for storing large data but doesn't hold up to sql for complicated powerful queries. Also SQL is much better dealing with heavy duty transactions. Like operations updating hundreds of thousands to millions of rows of data at a time etc.

Not sure what London rates are but for me in Brum 30-35k is average and 60k is top end.  If you move into business intelligence and data warehousing then you can hit 70k top end.

This is what i'm doing now. My company has a DW in place but it's shit and will need redesigning in the near future. I should be a massive part of that which is going to give me invaluable experience, and  It's literally the only part of my lacking on my CV.

Diagrams as a concept are difficult, but once you start relating them to the design of your database schema it becomes piss easy.

Very interesting

On 18/03/2017 at 1:39 PM, Incumbent said:

googled it but it's a mind field

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/mcsa-sql-certification.aspx

this is where im starting with SQL, look at the learning materials and the content that is tested for each exam

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/sql-database-fundamentals-16944

https://mva.microsoft.com/training-topics/database-development#!jobf=Developer&lang=1033

start with these handy videos and complete the free courses on MVA. get the training book for the exam and see if you need to complete a paid course or if you reckon you can learn from these other resources.

For Oracle, there is MySQL certification and ordinary Oracle certification. At this time I will leave out Oracle because the exam definitely requires classroom time. Looking at job ads, lots ask for you to know about MySQL as a part of a list of other things concerning web development. For SQL/database development jobs I found that they wanted experience in either Oracle or SQL Server (microsoft one). 

https://www.mysql.com/certification/

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=786#

apparently mysql has a different syntax to sql server

• Upvote 1