Learning To Code

Supermalt

39 minutes ago, Grafter said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/mcsa-sql-certification.aspx

this is where im starting with SQL, look at the learning materials and the content that is tested for each exam

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/sql-database-fundamentals-16944

https://mva.microsoft.com/training-topics/database-development#!jobf=Developer&lang=1033

start with these handy videos and complete the free courses on MVA. get the training book for the exam and see if you need to complete a paid course or if you reckon you can learn from these other resources.

For Oracle, there is MySQL certification and ordinary Oracle certification. At this time I will leave out Oracle because the exam definitely requires classroom time. Looking at job ads, lots ask for you to know about MySQL as a part of a list of other things concerning web development. For SQL/database development jobs I found that they wanted experience in either Oracle or SQL Server (microsoft one). 

https://www.mysql.com/certification/

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=786#

apparently mysql has a different syntax to sql server

pos and thanks

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017

This is quite good to look at. Survey of developers who use stackoverflow an career based questions

Developer Survey Results

Overview

This year, over 64,000 developers told us how they learn and level up, which tools they’re using, and what they want.

Each year since 2011, Stack Overflow has asked developers about their favorite technologies, coding habits, and work preferences, as well as how they learn, share, and level up. This year represents the largest group of respondents in our history: 64,000 developers took our annual survey in January.

• A common misconception about developers is that they've all been programming since childhood. In fact, we see a wide range of experience levels. Among professional developers, 11.3% got their first coding jobs within a year of first learning how to program. A further 36.9% learned to program between one and four years before beginning their careers as developers.
  • Only 13.1% of developers are actively looking for a job. But 75.2% of developers are interested in hearing about new job opportunities.
  • When we asked respondents what they valued most when considering a new job, 53.3% said remote options were a top priority. A majority of developers, 63.9%, reported working remotely at least one day a month, and 11.1% say they’re full-time remote or almost all the time.
  • A majority of developers said they were underpaid. Developers who work in government and non-profits feel the most underpaid, while those who work in finance feel the most overpaid.
  • Upvote 3

On 22/03/2017 at 10:50 PM, Funkyskanker said:

about to start a django blog will see how advanced i can make it

Pick up something more employable than Django 

If you can't pick just go for Ruby. The community for it is probably the best for people just stepping into the world 

1 hour ago, dub said:

Pick up something more employable than Django 

If you can't pick just go for Ruby. The community for it is probably the best for people just stepping into the world 

Swear from the research I've done Python/django is poppin why is it not that employable?

what kind of Dev do you do?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Funkyskanker said:

Swear from the research I've done Python/django is poppin why is it not that employable?

It is based on the job boards i have looked at.

An flask

/

Has everyone got github an stackoverflow accounts?

10 hours ago, Funkyskanker said:

ok I'm maybe overreaching with that statement, its employable, but...

Django sounds like you're pidgeon-holing yourself - I've never met someone who's working on a cool project that says "I'm using Django"

I'm an Android dev (which is mainly Java - but if you talk to other people on here they said Java put them off programming when they tried at school)

3 hours ago, dub said:

ok I'm maybe overreaching with that statement, its employable, but...

Django sounds like you're pidgeon-holing yourself - I've never met someone who's working on a cool project that says "I'm using Django"

I'm an Android dev (which is mainly Java - but if you talk to other people on here they said Java put them off programming when they tried at school)

Just starting out with django/python as its easy to learn compared to java and C++/c whilst still not being too niche. I will be learning proper programming as well dont want to end up doing front end web dev forever just using this as a stepping stone. 

Django is pretty cool loads of videos/tutorials on it seems to be used a lot in fintech from what im seeing in london at least and for data mining.

How is that compared to doing web apps?  give us 017 plates your top 3 tips as a dev

Obviously I'm biased but you rarely see a front end developer start to learn Java, C# , Ruby etc wanting to move to backend. 

But there's a big trend for backend devs to make the switch to JavaScript and pursue FE roles these days. 

My advice to newbies without a computer science degree would be to either learn JavaScript or learn swift/Java and become a mobile dev. 

Having said that learning Python is only ever going to make you a better developer.  

• Upvote 2

Started on the coding wave a couple of years ago (codeacademy), was looking for intensive courses and colleges and then I decided to pursue cars, I often wonder if I will regret that and in an ideal world I would do them side by side, but tbh cars eat up so much of my time.

@Funkyskanker You deploy it anywhere? Hook it up to a database?  

why don't you try to make a Twitter/GitHub/YouTube clone?

Could suggest you a bunch of stuff to try but it would be front end specific. 

For example, try to make a GitHub clone using react and redux. Work with the GitHub API and OAuth to login and carry out simple tasks.  Make it look nice using material design. Put it all together and optimise it using Webpack. Write tests for some of your components. 

Or you could try to recreate your blog with just JavaScript.

make the front end using angular/Vue/react. Use Node, express for the back saving to mongo db. JavaScript everywhere. Awesome shit. This is usually called the MEAN stack. Mongo. Express. Angular. Node. But you can and probably should replace the angular with other framework for example react or Vue. 

23 hours ago, Mr. Martinez said:

@Funkyskanker You deploy it anywhere? Hook it up to a database?  

why don't you try to make a Twitter/GitHub/YouTube clone?

Could suggest you a bunch of stuff to try but it would be front end specific. 

For example, try to make a GitHub clone using react and redux. Work with the GitHub API and OAuth to login and carry out simple tasks.  Make it look nice using material design. Put it all together and optimise it using Webpack. Write tests for some of your components. 

that seems like an incredibly huge task making a github clone