Learning To Code

Supermalt

On 26/06/2017 at 11:46 AM, Afroman said:

Starting my ISTQB QA course this week. 

I hope to sit the exam by the end of next month.

Currently getting some mentoring by my uncle who works as QA

I'll be attending some meet ups and workshops over the next couple weeks while working on some test projects (manual and automation)with a network my friend runs.

Aiming to be a contractor QA by the end of September. Realisitc? Let's see.

suspended any holidays for summer.

Let's GERRIT!

Update!!

So got my first Job offer as QA analyst contractor today.

3 stage interview.

Phone call last week, Face to Face on Monday, Met with the HR today, Got called late afternoon. I was offered the Job.

Its mad. 

I have got another interview for a perm role with a major trading firm on monday second stage interview and all.

Last few weeks have been stressful. Interview preparation and jumping into the a new sector?

Exciting times. Next phase is to really seize the opportunity and develop my automation Skills while working.

The potential to work overseas looking more realistic by the day.

Hard work paid off. Just getting started.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

7 hours ago, QPR Dee said:

Sick man, major props

Respect bro 

8 hours ago, The King said:

I’ve just started on the ruby wave

looking to implement chef

Ruby is proper nice to code in, not too many annoying rules and there's shortcut methods for everything. 

Makes me look at JavaScript in disgust sometimes lol

• 6 months later...
On 17/11/2017 at 11:03 PM, Platinum50 said:

Won a free place on some £8k bootcamp & a promised job contract for 12 months afterwards .

Hardwork finally paying off. 

Gotta plot my next moves

Finished the course a few weeks ago, good stuff, if I had the sort of P laying around, I would pay for it lol. I breezed through the coding since I been doing it for a lil while but learning how to work in a team, pairs and learning all the software dev principles and TDD, CI etc. has been super useful, would have never learnt that on my own.

Half my cohort got job offers already which is sick, they weren't gassing about how quick people snap up jobs afterwards( everyone apart from me and a few others have extensive corporate job history so maybe thats part of it)

I've been sick the past month so missed out on this cycles job hires (which is minor since part of their promise is to pay me monthly until I get into work lol) but they start again the jobs hiring again next week. Got companies like Softwire, Deloitte, FT, Telegraph , Thoughtbout etc etc. hiring so hopefully I get my interview technique right & snap one up. 

Hows everything going for you guys?

• Like 4

That's a good look .

There are shit loads of jobs in this sector.You can bounce from test > dev if you wanted to. The turn over is quite common because people just run to here the money is at :lol:

I have been testing since October after I finished my training. Month 5 into my second Job as a contractor

Currently getting familiar with JSON and selenium on my current project. I have a lot of downtime at work now, so I use that to learn some me stuff. 

• Like 1

Sick, the Deloitte roles they had up for us last month were testing dev roles, not my thing though lol. Im hoping I can get somewhere I can use Node/React extensively as that$ the route what I wanna follow. Doing that at work will save me time. Same time I'm limited to applying to roles offered by the hiring partners but they have a decent selection so its likely I'l get to work in the area I wanted.

Are you on day rates? Im hearing people on them 500 a day rates after 1.5-2 years experience in certain technologies 

48 minutes ago, Platinum50 said:

Sick, the Deloitte roles they had up for us last month were testing dev roles, not my thing though lol. Im hoping I can get somewhere I can use Node/React extensively as that$ the route what I wanna follow. Doing that at work will save me time. Same time I'm limited to applying to roles offered by the hiring partners but they have a decent selection so its likely I'l get to work in the area I wanted.

Are you on day rates? Im hearing people on them 500 a day rates after 1.5-2 years experience in certain technologies 

Yea I am contracting at the Mo 

Rumous have it that they want to turn some of our positions to perm.

:lmao:Currently none of the contractors are on it.

1 hour ago, Funkyskanker said:

i seriously fell off who on here still programs in python/django @Grafter i know you did. I need some new material i can use to practise from any recommendations 

Tutorials?

http://engineroom.trackmaven.com/blog/getting-started-drf-angularjs-part-1/

Not sure where you have got up to but this is good if you haven't used Django rest framework before. Its a bit out dated but still good an you can check documentation etc

1 hour ago, Grafter said:

Tutorials?

http://engineroom.trackmaven.com/blog/getting-started-drf-angularjs-part-1/

Not sure where you have got up to but this is good if you haven't used Django rest framework before. Its a bit out dated but still good an you can check documentation etc

im already familiar with django but i fell off and havent touched python in a long time