Learning To Code

Supermalt

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, Funkyskanker said:

i seriously fell off who on here still programs in python/django @Grafter i know you did. I need some new material i can use to practise from any recommendations 

actually decided to switch from python to javascript been watching few youtube videos to get familar with it but havent done anything with it so far. will dedicate this weekend to setting up a portfolio website using javascript and react

lets get it!

• Like 2

Just accepted my job offer & I start in September!

Working with Javascript, React, Node, GraphQL etc. All up my alley. Also free to switch into other departments if I get bored, or want to switch to more back-end stuff.

Been a mad journey  & I'm so glad I stuck it through. There are some sick opportunities out there if you look for them.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Platinum50 said:

Just accepted my job offer & I start in September!

Working with Javascript, React, Node, GraphQL etc. All up my alley. Also free to switch into other departments if I get bored, or want to switch to more back-end stuff.

Been a mad journey  & I'm so glad I stuck it through. There are some sick opportunities out there if you look for them.

Props bro. 

Would be cool if you posted how you got to this point to inspire/help others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Props bro. 

Would be cool if you posted how you got to this point to inspire/help others. 

Started reading about programming in early 2017 since I had a lot of time on my hands & wanted to do something legitimate. Messed around with C#, moved on to Javascript, just making stuff and practicing.

Saw a tweet around Nov/Dec 2017 from a London Bootcamp doing free places for underrepresented people in tech, so I applied, had to pass a test and an interview and I got through.

They were experimenting with race & class diversity and wanted to see if they can get the 15 people they selected to mid-level developers in a year+ time. We also got paid for up to 3 months for every month we didn't get employed afterward.

I was a bit skeptical because I only had A-levels and no real work experience meanwhile the cohort was filled with people with a lot of corporate experience, some Oxbridge grads or mostly top 20 uni people.

Breezed through the course (started in Feb this year), they taught me about all that agile malarkey, TDD, OOP, Functional Programming, all the soft skills etc.

I think one of most important thing is building a good portfolio of work and learning about TDD and testing software. Most people who are learning at home are not teaching themselves Test-driven development so if you are self-taught it is important to learn this. A lot of companies are actually hiring juniors who know how to TDD, to help develop that culture in these places to learn all that, it's important and will give you a competitive edge. It's defo a big selling point.

Getting regular feedback on your code is the MOST important thing. Code with people, look up at online programming communities on slack or real-life meetups, get friendly with some people who will help you out.
You need that regular feedback to level up as quick as possible. That's how they do it at the boot-camps, you have your code, the way you work and communicate reviewed by your peers and coaches multiple times a day sometimes(informally, everybody is taught to be open to constructive criticism after you work with them) so you are used to someone picking up on something and then you can correct it.
The more of these feedback loops you go through, the quicker you will get better. (Applies to other stuff too). So imagine how many times you go through this to get people to a work-ready level after 4+ months.

If you are self-taught and can incorporate those things into how you are learning, it will make your pathway to getting hired much more quickly than if you didn't. That's the sauce they use.

If somebody is trying to set out a junior or entry level learning path or not sure what they should learn moving forward (concept wise) I can write a quick list of things to have covered

• Upvote 1
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

Yeah bro i’m a sql / database developer.

What sort of company/industry do you work for??

Im 3 years proficient in  SAS/SQL, banking industry, interested in finding out how far these skills spread out other than banking/pharmaceutical.

2 hours ago, Flex said:

What sort of company/industry do you work for??

Im 3 years proficient in  SAS/SQL, banking industry, interested in finding out how far these skills spread out other than banking/pharmaceutical.

I work in the sports industry for OptaPro. Previously worked in the a water industry, and a distributor before then. This is by far the best environment i've been in, as it's a software team so it's more technical, application based product, and the subject matter 8 times out of 10 is football (the rest being cricket, rugby).

It's actually a sick industry, a lot of clubs are really getting serious with football analysis and data, so there's lot of opportunity. 

It's crazy because before I even got this job I never even considered there being a need for my skills in sports. I think there's a lot of interesting places to take your role, but the job sites are so full with finance, banking and service sql roles it's easy to think that's basically what the market is for us. 

6 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

I work in the sports industry for OptaPro. Previously worked in the a water industry, and a distributor before then. This is by far the best environment i've been in, as it's a software team so it's more technical, application based product, and the subject matter 8 times out of 10 is football (the rest being cricket, rugby).

It's actually a sick industry, a lot of clubs are really getting serious with football analysis and data, so there's lot of opportunity. 

It's crazy because before I even got this job I never even considered there being a need for my skills in sports. I think there's a lot of interesting places to take your role, but the job sites are so full with finance, banking and service sql roles it's easy to think that's basically what the market is for us. 

Yeah thats sick, i always thought sport analytics would be mad interesting. Wasnt sure if it was in house only or external companies. I saw an arsenal data analytics job posted once and thats it. What are the leading companies/consultancies??

Only thing that keeps me in banking is either working towards getting high up or contracting - some of the contractors i work with are on INSANE day rates.

11 hours ago, Flex said:

Yeah thats sick, i always thought sport analytics would be mad interesting. Wasnt sure if it was in house only or external companies. I saw an arsenal data analytics job posted once and thats it. What are the leading companies/consultancies??

Only thing that keeps me in banking is either working towards getting high up or contracting - some of the contractors i work with are on INSANE day rates.

Yeah some clubs do their stuff in House, Arsenal did under wenger, but that may change under Sven. United are another in house, but Barca and Real are clients of ours so it's really mixed.

They big external companies are:

http://instatsport.com/en/

https://wyscout.com/

https://www.hudl.com/elite/sportscode

https://www.optasportspro.com/

https://www.secondspectrum.com/ (american based, mainly active in basketball but starting to get into football so things may start to open up here, they're backed by Steve Balmer).

But yeah contract rates are mad, looking at 300-500 a day, I'd definitely consider it in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've been interviewing, ok so far

Have also been followin this course which is really good. gets me thinking in the right kind of way

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-s095-programming-for-the-puzzled-january-iap-2018/

Hows it all with you @Platinum@Platinum50

Cant delete the wrong@

On 12/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, Grafter said:

Have also been followin this course which is really good. gets me thinking in the right kind of way

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-s095-programming-for-the-puzzled-january-iap-2018/

Cant delete the wrong@

I think you tagged me by accident. But coincidentally I am a programmer lol, you can ask me any questions if you have any

• Like 2

50% of the devs at my new workplace are from this school in Paris called 42 which is basically a free coding school where everyone learns by themselves, without tutors, having to figure out solutions with each other, but are given all the resources to do so - they're all pretty decent

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, Grafter said:

Cant delete the wrong@

Keep at it g! Assessment for promotion at end of February so I'm just studying for that. Gonna try leave by 2020 so I can eat from this age of inflated developer wages.

• Upvote 1

Finished at Sky sports last month. Best Job I ever had to be fair. Working with the broadcast infrastructure and seeing all these sport pundits,  stars and what not.

The project was relatively stable, so it was time to seek a new challenge. 

Working with an advert start-up now. Exciting, but I haven't got a clue on what's going on. The framework is in house, so alot of tools to learn and the environment is a lil bit all over the place.

Gonna hang on here for a year. Learn as much as I can. They are very automation heavy so it's the write space to be right now 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2018 at 10:14 AM, dub said:

50% of the devs at my new workplace are from this school in Paris called 42 which is basically a free coding school where everyone learns by themselves, without tutors, having to figure out solutions with each other, but are given all the resources to do so - they're all pretty decent

see progressive ideas for learning, i wonder if such a school exists in the uk?