Learning To Code

Supermalt

4 hours ago, Grafter said:

Hows everyone gettin on?

I ordered a refurbished laptop because ive been using a toshiba click mini to do all this an its fallin over now

Got the refurbish laptop an have had to send it back

Anyone joined cloud foundry? It took them maybe a month to accept me

slacking like mad, learners block, motivation and discipline on 0 atm as i have shit i need to do before i get back to this.

why did you need to join cloud foundry? its open source, I use it on IBM bluemix https://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/bluemix/runtimes 

I jus went straight to their website an signed up. Thought it would be easy like pythonanywhere but it took ages for them to reply.

This ibm thing i only heard of it from you an i havn looked into it enough 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a load of tutorials on the go

My portfolio site is deployed but no projects apart from itself 

skillset is goin up. Feel very comfortable with django now and python anywhere. Finally understand the meaning and purpose of API development. 

Doin a couple free projects to build my portfolio. Doin some django/angularjs tutorial

By the end of the tutorials hope to be comfortable with flask, heroku, ionic

Also signed up for a python data analysis free course on edx but there arent enough hours in the day

Oh an im usin the atom code editor which is a massive massive game changer for me after usin notepad ++ and python idle

How about yourself @Funkyskanker ?

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2017 at 8:39 AM, Mr. Martinez said:

Loving the programming wave.

Python's always a good place to start but as you progress, you want to make sure you're learning a stack which is popular and has lots of jobs in the city you want to work in. 

Smaddy is right also. You need to dive into the deep end and push yourself. Once you have the basics down, start applying. 

A lot of people also don't realise that in the tech industry there are a lot of jobs, most of which pay very well but not all are programming jobs. QA, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters, etc all command a fairly decent wage. The easiest one to get into is QA. Technically, QA's commanding the big wages have to code, doing automation, etc. But I know lots of people, who can't code to save their lives but earn close to six figures doing this job contracting.

/

I've always wanted to give horticulture a go, and will do at some point. Not necessarily a trade but I've been learning to snowboard over the last couple of months. That's been awesome.  Winter holidays are mad  

Have ylubworked in that field Martinez? QA /Tester.

Been looking at some part time courses recommended by a colleagues at work.

Opinion

On 2017-6-4 at 9:30 AM, dub said:

for example?

I inherited some vba code which became redundant somehow due to excel being upgraded i think.

/

Took a week off work an spent everyday an night (got stuck deployin to heroku an pluggin my api to ionic) on this development thing - made great progress...on track

1 hour ago, Grafter said:

I inherited some vba code which became redundant somehow due to excel being upgraded i think.

/

Took a week off work an spent everyday an night (got stuck deployin to heroku an pluggin my api to ionic) on this development thing - made great progress...on track

real talk how do you manage this? my discipline is so so shit, especially with something difficult 

8 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

real talk how do you manage this? my discipline is so so shit, especially with something difficult 

My motivation is two fold:

Desire for career change an the fact it is imperative my next life steps

I can't let these problems defeat me. I literally cant accept it if something doesn't work but I kno it must work. I cant let it go.

An i hold myself to account by keepin a daily log

Bit sad cos no one around me is really as interested as me

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Grafter said:

My motivation is two fold:

Desire for career change an the fact it is imperative my next life steps

I can't let these problems defeat me. I literally cant accept it if something doesn't work but I kno it must work. I cant let it go.

An i hold myself to account by keepin a daily log

Bit sad cos no one around me is really as interested as me

daily log sounds like a good idea, will try implement this.

pretty much same for me as well, i generally chat to people on reddit about it

2 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

daily log sounds like a good idea, will try implement this.

pretty much same for me as well, i generally chat to people on reddit about it

I force it on people who glaze over.  But then if i can explain something simply it means i understand it.

another part of my motivation is that i jus love the reward of achievement. An this thing jus gives so many small wins.

With the daily log i make sure i write 'nothing' for the days i did nothing so i can see how many days that went on. I also log when in havin issues or stuck it when ive just been reading

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Grafter said:

I force it on people who glaze over.  But then if i can explain something simply it means i understand it.

another part of my motivation is that i jus love the reward of achievement. An this thing jus gives so many small wins.

With the daily log i make sure i write 'nothing' for the days i did nothing so i can see how many days that went on. I also log when in havin issues or stuck it when ive just been reading

reward of achievement is a big thing for me. always always loved learning from a kid ive loved learning and how things work, but my attention and short term memory slowly started dying in my teens and im only just getting it back. with the reward for achievement it feels real good to get something done but overly frustrating when i cant figure something out and end up in some anxiety loop where i ignore it or just think I cant do it then chase small achievements i can get instant rewards from rather than focusing on the big one im failing at, and it just continues like that. no idea how to even change it so im just doing stuff instead of chasing rewards, i know i can be doing 3-4 hours a day even if its just writing the shittest code in the world, but even finding a project to start on is long and anxiety inducing

15 minutes ago, QPR Dee said:

reward of achievement is a big thing for me. always always loved learning from a kid ive loved learning and how things work, but my attention and short term memory slowly started dying in my teens and im only just getting it back. with the reward for achievement it feels real good to get something done but overly frustrating when i cant figure something out and end up in some anxiety loop where i ignore it or just think I cant do it then chase small achievements i can get instant rewards from rather than focusing on the big one im failing at, and it just continues like that. no idea how to even change it so im just doing stuff instead of chasing rewards, i know i can be doing 3-4 hours a day even if its just writing the shittest code in the world, but even finding a project to start on is long and anxiety inducing

When i get really stuck i have to leave it for a couple days. But i have a list of things i wanna be comfortable with i have to go back to the problem to be able to tick off my list

I think you should start a small list of things u want to learn based on what you want overall from this. Then find tutorials. Tutorials is like a classroom, aims structure an a workin example. 

And remember sometimes u av to ask. If its been days an u cant get it,  stick it on stack overflow. Ive asked a couple questions on there an the response rate is fast plus the solutions i never would have found by myself. One was simply changin from lowercase to capital or the other way round for one small word in a mountain of code 

Never be afraid to ask

There is no such word as 'can't'

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Grafter said:

When i get really stuck i have to leave it for a couple days. But i have a list of things i wanna be comfortable with i have to go back to the problem to be able to tick off my list

I think you should start a small list of things u want to learn based on what you want overall from this. Then find tutorials. Tutorials is like a classroom, aims structure an a workin example. 

And remember sometimes u av to ask. If its been days an u cant get it,  stick it on stack overflow. Ive asked a couple questions on there an the response rate is fast plus the solutions i never would have found by myself. One was simply changin from lowercase to capital or the other way round for one small word in a mountain of code 

Never be afraid to ask

you're right, i keep tryna find reasons to fail by just avoiding things.

gona start on it now with a log and list of things i need to achieve

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Grafter said:

Never be afraid to ask

your going in