Life vs Death - who should decide?

Heero Yuy

I’m not sure if everyone has been following the story of Charlie Gard.

Charlie Gard (born 4 August 2016) is a British boy with a rare and incurable genetic condition known as mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome (MDDS).[1][2] While receiving treatment at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children decisions about his care were taken to the law courts, where a ruling that the hospital could lawfully withdraw all treatment save for palliative care went against the parents' hopes.[3] His parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates from Bedfont, London, campaigned to keep him alive on life support and travel to the United States for experimental treatment despite doctors and judges saying it would cause him "significant harm".[4] A further full-day hearing at the High Court is scheduled for Thursday 13 July.

Doctors in the UK have argued that there is nothing more than can be done for him and he should be allowed to die with dignity. His parents, doctors from other countries and even Trump has weighed in, and want to keep him alive to try experimental treatment on him in the states

This kid is deaf, blind, has severe brain damage and breathing only with the help of a ventilator.

Who at this point should decide the fate of the child, the parents or the doctor\law? and with such a poor quality of life ahead is it even right to do so?

After being able to live such a free life and experience so much I personally wouldn't want to bring my child into the world, if they didn't have the freedoms I had/have at my feet. I've al

I had to make a decision last summer and it was tough but ultimately the right decision, to let nature takes its course...

I think it will be very wrong and would lead to a world much worse then we currently have if people were not allowed to die due to nature, machines and medicine should be used as an aid to help people recover not to have people rely on them solely to survive, especially if they are unable to live a productive life.

I am a hypocrite and want my family and friends to live forever but realistically everyone must die and the sooner humans accept that death is as important as life then the better.

Personally I think people who do this(current case) are just selfish and very naive to the world, obviously when you are in the situation it is different but that is why you have people like doctors etc... advising you and not making the decision for you and if you dont trust the doctors there are others who can and have(in this case) stepped in. (actually in my situation i felt doctors were trying to force our hand and i can see why they would and when we made a decision it was because in the grand scheme of things what is an extra few weeks, months maybe tops a year, if they are suffering).

In short, letting someone live in pain so you dont have to deal with loss is selfish.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Admin. said:

In short, letting someone live in pain so you dont have to deal with loss is selfish.

:!:

The kid is in constant pain and is set for a life of suffering. "He still enjoys his tickles" does not excuse this fact and is not justification for using a machine to keep him alive.

Parents are being emotionally selfish imo and are just prolonging the mourning process. The baby is basically locked in without being able to communicate in any way and never will whilst being in pain.

From what I understand the experimental treatment only has a 10% chance of success and that will only bring a tiny change in his condition. The money they raised will do more good donated for further research to help others in the future.

2 hours ago, Admin. said:

I had to make a decision last summer and it was tough but ultimately the right decision, to let nature takes its course...

I think it will be very wrong and would lead to a world much worse then we currently have if people were not allowed to die due to nature, machines and medicine should be used as an aid to help people recover not to have people rely on them solely to survive, especially if they are unable to live a productive life.

This is also a massive issue for elderly people too. I was watching a program recently where this woman had given up to care for her mother. Severe dementia, literally just sits there in a chair all day, starring into space, no idea what's going on, can't even dress or feed herself. I mean what kinda of life is that, even her daughter was like from when you can't find any little piece of enjoyment in your life, is it even a life worth living anymore.

Shit's sad,

7 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

I’m not sure if everyone has been following the story of Charlie Gard.

Doctors in the UK have argued that there is nothing more than can be done for him and he should be allowed to die with dignity. His parents, doctors from other countries and even Trump has weighed in, and want to keep him alive to try experimental treatment on him in the states

This kid is deaf, blind, has severe brain damage and breathing only with the help of a ventilator.

Who at this point should decide the fate of the child, the parents or the doctor\law? and with such a poor quality of life ahead is it even right to do so?

After being able to live such a free life and experience so much I personally wouldn't want to bring my child into the world, if they didn't have the freedoms I had/have at my feet. I've al

see, this goes even deeper. what is life? is life being fed and kept alive by a tube for the next 30 years? shuttled from country to country to find a new treatment? I mean it would be OK for a paraplegic, right? but where's the cut off? at which point are they just showing vital signs on a machine?

Personally, I have no fuckin idea, but I'm sad that it's become politicised in a way that is doctors/state vs life. this is probably one of the worst things the doctors are having to go through, and I cant imagine having to accept your child has to die

13 hours ago, Admin. said:

I am a hypocrite and want my family and friends to live forever but realistically everyone must die and the sooner humans accept that death is as important as life then the better.

Personally I think people who do this(current case) are just selfish and very naive to the world, obviously when you are in the situation it is different but that is why you have people like doctors etc... advising you and not making the decision for you and if you dont trust the doctors there are others who can and have(in this case) stepped in. (actually in my situation i felt doctors were trying to force our hand and i can see why they would and when we made a decision it was because in the grand scheme of things what is an extra few weeks, months maybe tops a year, if they are suffering).

Sorry to hear about your situation still

Hit the nail right on the head with this tbh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...