Idris Elba is shooting a screen adaptation of Victor Headley's book 'Yardie'

Elementalism

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Feel like he flopped this.

Should have been set in the late 80s into the early 90s, the book signalled that heavily. The early 80s is some different scene, completely. The biggest immigration from JA usually took place directly after elections - I figured around the 1989 election myself.

That was a period when PNP affiliated posses, Black Roses, Spanglers, Renkers, Junglist etc. were running hot. Why do you think the term 'junglist' was ubiquitous enough to have been sampled and flung into every other jungle tune from that portion of history?

Having flopped the era, he inevitably flopped the fashion. The book features clear references to 'raggamuffin' fashion, shocking colours, Spandex and more - all of which is a feature of the era I mentioned and not before. Idris essentially reproduced the shebeen era, but there was so little cocaine around in those early days. Guys like Rankin Dread were some of the first 'Yardies' to touch the UK and bring knowledge of cooking crack with them. I feel like he got caught up on a Hackney-centric, early '80s narrative that actually missed the wider picture.

This should have been done by a Jamaican, I don't feel Idris understands the cultural nuances here. 

I thought the accents were bad also.

My guy fully flopped it when you really check it out...

Almost all of the streetwear available at the time is out on retro issue now or floating around on eBay.

MCM, Bally, Nike, heavy Cuban link gold, Click Suits, diamond socks, Raiders jackets, Malcolm X caps, leather Africa badges, hi-top Jordans/British Knights/Ewings/Reeboks....

COME ON.

Image result for click suits

Would be like doing a film on the grime era and filming everyone wearing garage-era designer garms.