#MeToo Movement

O Fenomeno

Revealed: why Michael Fallon was forced to quit as defence secretary

Journalist’s accusation of sexual harassment was final straw for Theresa May after series of allegations

The dramatic circumstances of Sir Michael Fallon’s sudden resignation as defence secretary last week can be revealed by the Observer.

The cabinet heavyweight’s shock departure on Wednesday followed a phone call from the journalist, Jane Merrick, who informed Downing Street that he had lunged at her and attempted to kiss her on the lips in 2003 after they had lunched together.

The revelation was the tipping point for No 10, which the Observer understands had been compiling a list of alleged incidents involving Fallon since claims against him were first made.

After Fallon’s attempt to kiss her, Merrick, then a 29-year-old junior political reporter at the Daily Mail, said she “shrank away in horror and ran off to my office in the Press Gallery”. Writing in the Observer, she said: “I felt humiliated, ashamed. Was I even guilty that maybe I had led him on in some way by drinking with him? After years of having a drink with so many other MPs who have not acted inappropriately towards me, I now know I was not.”

A friend of Fallon confirmed the incident took place. “Michael realises this kind of incident was unacceptable which is why he had to resign,” they said.

Merrick said she decided to contact Downing Street after becoming aware of other, more recent allegations against Fallon. She has written about the incident before, choosing not to identify Fallon, but his behaviour after further allegations last week convinced her to name him. She writes that Fallon “has denied some allegations, and minimised others as somehow acceptable because they date from another time. His lack of contrition has made me change my mind.”

On Tuesday, the Sun revealed that Fallon had admitted to repeatedly touching the journalist Julia Hartley-Brewer’s knee at a conference dinner 15 years ago.

Merrick writes: “The impression was being left that this was a one-off incident that could now be laughed off. I knew that by failing to act I was letting down not only my 29-year-old self, but also any other women who may have been subjected to the same behaviour since. More importantly, I would be failing to protect other women in future.”

On Thursday evening, it emerged that the Commons leader, Andrea Leadsom, had informed Downing Street earlier in the week about lewd remarks Fallon had made to her, a claim he denied.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/04/michael-fallon-defence-secretary-sexual-harassment

24 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

So he lost his job because he tried to kiss her :/

Mate.

Theres harassment and then there's misplaced advances. She herself said "Maybe I led him on some way in drinking with him". Yes love as stupid as that sounds he probably thought drinks = pwussy. 

Smh. Unlk Fallon.

5 hours ago, Trap God said:

Man don't even know what the claims are and are screaming bun him :rofl:

What kinda nonsense logic is that

11 minutes ago, Da Luv Doc said:

Could be a shoulder stroke FFS LOL

Ye I'm sure

Shoulder stroke, invitation to play kiss chase, was probably suttin light right, right?

You man are funny stil

So is this what zero game type of man do... just focus on gaining power and accolades in their career so they can molester and harass women when they get there ? Like a deviant deferred gratification scenario?

And Was that the motivation to begin with or does it become corrupted a la wearing the one ring being under the influence of saruman etc? 

Looks like there's gona be a lot of job vacancies coming up from these man jumping out the window tbh