Will machines eventually turn on us?

Badman

Humans as it is are hardly functioning on a level of preservation and balance.

Society (specifically western modelled version) is about living beyond means of what is provided by the earth/nature.

Machines... created in image of their creator (humans) will surely follow suit. So high chance yes.. AI modelled on the human template is sure fire doom.

EX Machina is a good film on this

I think about this with how much info google and Facebook have. It's getting to big brother levels now. Random ad suggestions that make u think u never even fucking searched for something u just thought of it now it's in your instagram recommends ?

2 hours ago, Vtec said:

Humans as it is are hardly functioning on a level of preservation and balance.

Society (specifically western modelled version) is about living beyond means of what is provided by the earth/nature.

Machines... created in image of their creator (humans) will surely follow suit. So high chance yes.. AI modelled on the human template is sure fire doom.

EX Machina is a good film on this

Ex Machina >>

Robot saw man was moist and plotted from the start.

• Like 1

Negged by accident soz.

This neural network stuff is already giving machines the ability to make human like choices.

The problem I think will be with morality.

So we see us as superior to all the other species on earth, computers probably won't even if programmed to do so initially.

I can imagine a scenario of an abattoir for humans, with humans attached to hooks going round the processing plant.

p21-nicol-gibier-no-sato-a-20151101.jpg

Once computers figure out we are essentially meat it's a wrap.

I’m not sure about machines being able to become conscious in the way films have projected that idea to us.

people still can’t describe/ or agree what is it to be human, what makes up the human mind, the existence of soul, morality etc.

like what is it to be alive, how will a machine know it’s alive.

1 hour ago, Seydou said:

Will be dead and gone by then

Let my offspring deal with that shit

worse you will be 60 and unable to fight back

1 hour ago, Heero Yuy said:

I’m not sure about machines being able to become conscious in the way films have projected that idea to us.

people still can’t describe/ or agree what is it to be human, what makes up the human mind, the existence of soul, morality etc.

lol you will be surprised

1 hour ago, Toney Barton said:

Negged by accident soz.

This neural network stuff is already giving machines the ability to make human like choices.

The problem I think will be with morality.

So we see us as superior to all the other species on earth, computers probably won't even if programmed to do so initially.

I can imagine a scenario of an abattoir for humans, with humans attached to hooks going round the processing plant.

p21-nicol-gibier-no-sato-a-20151101.jpg

Once computers figure out we are essentially meat it's a wrap.

not just morality, prejudice

there are programs in the US that monitor and predict crimes and guess who they target. if these programs are expanded theyll focus mainly on low income communities and oppressed groups in certain countries (eg middle east) and itll basically be stop and search but with real time data surveillance.

think of dissidents as well, not even radical, just people who are against a certain policies, they'll be tracked and traced and monitored just like protesters are now. posting something slightly negative about your dear leader might lead to some shit or be put on a list and movements/contacts tracked

the way china links everything to your ID and soon theyll link social media posts to your credit report so you may not be able to rent a house/get a credit card if you post negative stuff criticising the government (like that one black mirror episode where everyone rates each other), i can see a form of this being introduced  in western nations especially the way things are going with cashless transactions, the US has e passports for local travel, so I could see an EU based e-passport like apple pay where you tap your phone at the airport gate, it scans your face and checks the phones fingerprint reader etc for local EU flights instead of taking your passport, and obviously all that can be linked to social media/email etc, they can prob request access to your contacts and pctures (terrorism/think of the children) so everything can be tracked and aggregated again linking back to monitoring what you do. that one single device could be used for everything and of course can be tracked everywhere with GPS/WIFI/phone signal.

fucking tired so Ive lost track of where Im going with this, but theres major potential for these AI systems to pick up or deliberately be setup with our inherent prejudices and easily target or restrict people, and who knows where they'll end up once theyve collected years of data on specific people

3 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

We can agree a set of parameters for what it means to be alive

With machine learning i think its a real possibility

24 minutes ago, Grafter said:

We can agree a set of parameters for what it means to be alive

With machine learning i think its a real possibility

How would you even go about this, would our alive be what a computer means to be alive. Who’s to know if consciousness in a computer is the same feeling that it is to us. And if a computers version is different to ours, is it not actually conscious . It’s way to philosophical to be bound to parameters imo.

Society can’t even agree if a person in a coma in a vegetative state is ‘alive’.