Will machines eventually turn on us?

Badman

7 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

How would you even go about this, would our alive be what a computer means to be alive. Who’s to know if consciousness in a computer is the same feeling that it is to us. And if a computers version is different to ours, is it not actually conscious . It’s way to philosophical to be bound to parameters imo.

Society can’t even agree if a person in a coma in a vegetative state is ‘alive’. 

The parameters don't have to be absolute. They could be anything

An the machine will then evaluate if it meets those parameters

15 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

I think you’re over simplifying it, especially the ethical dilemmas it will raise.

I understand the ethical dilemas

But u wondered how it could be done an i offered an explanation. Not reasonin on how humanity would cope or how or whether we will reach global consensus on the parameters for life

Possibly due to how youre perceiving the entire subject

We get out what we put in when it comes to computers.

Even with AI I don't find it helpful to imagine computers to have feelings , if its goin to have feelings it will be because we have set some parameters on what feelings are an given those parameters to the machine

Vague on details yes

6 hours ago, Grafter said:

Possibly due to how youre perceiving the entire subject

We get out what we put in when it comes to computers.

Even with AI I don't find it helpful to imagine computers to have feelings , if its goin to have feelings it will be because we have set some parameters on what feelings are an given those parameters to the machine

Vague on details yes

The more complex AI gets the more unpredictable outcomes will become common place. Like the issue of the two chat bots creating their own language etc. We’re about to enter quantum computing which will unleash real AI capability. AI creating better AI than itself etc. Things that we may not entirely understand. I don’t think that a self aware computer would be down to our own creation entirely. Probably an outcome of the technological singularity. 

If this 'We get out what we put in when it comes to computers'  were really true, there wouldn't have people like Elon Musk, and Steven Hawking warning about the dangers of AI becoming a danger to humanity, heralding a potential mass extinction event etc.

4 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

The more complex AI gets the more unpredictable outcomes will become common place. Like the issue of the two chat bots creating their own language etc. We’re about to enter quantum computing which will unleash real AI capability. AI creating better AI than itself etc. Things that we may not entirely understand. I don’t think that a self aware computer would be down to our own creation entirely. Probably an outcome of the technological singularity. 

If this 'We get out what we put in when it comes to computers'  were really true, there wouldn't have people like Elon Musk, and Steven Hawking warning about the dangers of AI becoming a danger to humanity, heralding a potential mass extinction event etc.

Fair play

I think we assume too much of robots and AI. While they are created by us, why would they think like we do? Science Fiction tells us they would immediately gain intelligence and eliminate any threats to its existence but we as humans are romantically attached to ourselves. If a robot has a nihilistic view of existence maybe it wouldn't care if it lived or died but would analyse our own dependence on living and naturally aid us.

What does a robot have to live for?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mizchif said:

I think we assume too much of robots and AI. While they are created by us, why would they think like we do? Science Fiction tells us they would immediately gain intelligence and eliminate any threats to its existence but we as humans are romantically attached to ourselves. If a robot has a nihilistic view of existence maybe it wouldn't care if it lived or died but would analyse our own dependence on living and naturally aid us.

What does a robot have to live for?

Like any sentient being....Survival

• Like 4