Aziz Ansari accused of sexual misconduct

Hold on

The feminist writer and speaker Jessica Valenti tweeted, “A lot of men will read that post about Aziz Ansari and see an everyday, reasonable sexual interaction. But part of what women are saying right now is that what the culture considers ‘normal’ sexual encounters are not working for us, and oftentimes harmful.”

i agree with that statement

i dont agree with aziz behaviour but also can't understand hers

and i said i couldn't understand why she went public

regards the magazines the author refers to. In my readings of j17 an cosmo i don't recall the same type of cautionary tales so as I say young girls are not really equipped

and as i already said had she valued herself she would have left sooner, value seems to be something those cautionary tales indirectly instilled

On 15/01/2018 at 10:38 AM, Thizz said:

“After he bent me over is when I stood up and said no, I don’t think I’m ready to do this, I really don’t think I’m going to do this. And he said, ‘How about we just chill, but this time with our clothes on?’”

While the TV played in the background, he kissed her again, stuck his fingers down her throat again, and moved to undo her pants.

That's sexual harassment no?

6 hours ago, Grafter said:

She's right

Just by some responses in here, this story tarnishes the movement

Jus like the woman who was wondering if she should report her boss who she chose to sleep with after her divorce

how do you feel about this reflection on it?

The poorly reported Aziz Ansari exposé was a missed opportunity

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/16/aziz-ansari-story-missed-opportunity?CMP=fb_gu

What we haven’t touched on nearly as thoroughly is heterosexual sex for women in a society that still sees sex as primarily about male pleasure; that continues to position women’s bodies as sexual objects, receptacles and stand-ins for sex itself; and that encourages sexual aggressiveness in men and congeniality and passivity in women (perhaps the best – and one of the few – pieces written on the sexist power dynamics within consensual sex was by Rebecca Traister in New York magazine, back in 2015).

When we haven’t yet agreed that female pleasure and clear enthusiasm are prerequisites for a sexual encounter, we lack the ability to peel back the layers of sexual experience, and we end up with two bad options: accept sexual inequity as just how sex is (or just how men are) or wedge truly bad sexual experiences into the category of sexual assault.

Too much of the discussion is black and white. Not much in the middle. TBH I think it will be like this for a long time until society (at least western) is seen as "equal". But the reality is there is a messy grey area where we more often operate in.

Read the whole article and I agree with this commentary also and glad someone put it into words.

Girls are raised with a contradictory set of expectations: be kind and acquiescent, but also be the brakes on male sexual desire. We are taught to reflexively say yes except for when we’re supposed to definitively say no, but we don’t learn how to know when we want to say either.

this is true except I think it's more we dont learn how to safely say no and as the article indicates its an unequal playing field in the first place - should we even have to be in these positions. You know how you feel in a given situation imo

On 16/01/2018 at 5:27 PM, QPR Dee said:

pmsl, the journalist is getting slaughtered now

Can't be bothered to engage in a debate of her ideas or stance, so just result to thinly veiled  insults, appeal to age fallacy to try to discredit Ashleigh's opinion etc.

Typical response of someone from this neo 'liberal' millennial generation.

I'm happy a lot of the media are seeing through this Ansari story, new york times did a great piece on it too. It always irks me when these social movements get hijacked by a bunch of self entitled idiots.

On 16/01/2018 at 11:43 PM, dub said:

"What we haven’t touched on nearly as thoroughly is heterosexual sex for women in a society that still sees sex as primarily about male pleasure; that continues to position women’s bodies as sexual objects, receptacles and stand-ins for sex itself; and that encourages sexual aggressiveness in men and congeniality and passivity in women" 

Too much of the discussion is black and white. Not much in the middle. TBH I think it will be like this for a long time until society (at least western) is seen as "equal". But the reality is there is a messy grey area where we more often operate in.

Agreed.

I think this example has brought about useful discussion and a lot of needed reflection from both genders.

Imo the Ansari's career is finished talk is hyperbole, but only time will tell.