Sugar tax: anti-obesity measure takes effect today.

TheOneGameBaller

http://www.theweek.co.uk/92743/sugar-tax-anti-obesity-measure-takes-effect

Levy will add 18p or 24p to a litre of some soft drinks, depending on their sugar content

The price of some soft drinks will rise today as the Government’s long-awaited sugar tax is implemented.

The new measure, designed to tackle the obesity crisis, will apply a levy of 18p a litre to drinks with more than 5g of sugar per 100ml and 24p for those containing more than 8g per 100ml.

This means the cost of a 330ml can of original Coca-Cola, containing around seven teaspoons of sugar, is likely to rise by around 8p plus VAT, according to ITV News.

Campaigners say the move will lead to consumers making healthier choices and help ease the burden on the NHS. It is also expected to raise more than £275m per year for the Treasury.

Several soft drinks companies have already reduced the sugar content of their products to avoid the tax, often opting for artificial sweeteners instead.

But this hasn’t gone down well with some consumers, with reports of shoppers stockpiling Irn Bru ahead of the recipe change.

“I would far rather pay more for a bottle than have an altered recipe version,” Ryan Allan, who launched a petition to stop the change, told the BBC. "I believe that a responsible adult should have the choice as to what poisons they want to put in their body.”

Thoughts?

I dont like being dictated to

I don't like how we are all being forced to live someone elses ideal of healthy. Some shops only sell the sugar free version of a drink. Its not fair

Artificial sweeteners are not the answer, at least one of them is a carcinogen and they make everything taste offkey like soap

Its not just things like this. Why when u go for lunch, they wanna give you small amount or even 0 carbs but think its good enough to give leaves and protein. Its not ok, not everyone can function like this an the cost doesn't seem to be less, it seems to be more

We are all different, its not one size fits all, an we gna see the detriment of sweeteners soon enough

Shouldn’t punish the rest of us because certain individuals responsibility towards their own health is careless. Dunno if you lot have tasted lucozade lately but it’s a piece of shit since they reduced the sugar. As someone who eats healthy say about 85% of the time, i’m well entitled to drounce myself in a sugar shit fest if i want. And that ability shouldn’t be deminished, or cost me more because of others.

also this doesn’t even do anything to address the root cause which is poor nutritional education. Basically just a way to government to generate more tax, which the consumer will inevitably end up paying.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

Shouldn’t punish the rest of us because certain individuals responsibility towards their own health is careless. Dunno if you lot have tasted lucozade lately but it’s a piece of shit since they reduced the sugar. As someone who eats healthy say about 85% of the time, i’m well entitled to drounce myself in a sugar shit fest if i want. And that ability shouldn’t be deminished, or cost me more because of others.

also this doesn’t even do anything to address the root cause which is poor nutritional education. Basically just a way to government to generate more tax, which the consumer will inevitably end up paying.

lucozade is hideous now 

same with strawb ribena even slight blackcurrant ribena has less of a taste 

i swear bigga has sugar removed as well it tastses different 

The hidden sweetners are the ones we should be more worried about.

Its win win for manufscturers. They can re market sugary products as healthier by reducing spending on sugar and still charge more.

Off topic. Makes my skin crawl when I see people guzzling on fizzy soft  drinks in the morning. 

10 hours ago, Grafter said:

U reckon this applies to imports?

Dont wanna anything to happen to ting. Love a ting after a curry

Bought a few from asda the other day

Just opened one, thinking hmm this tasted off...low an behold sweetener. Looked up the ingredients on the web, no sweetener so it must be a new thing

Stress

Im so confused...its a British product?

17 hours ago, Wavant said:

Foreign Fanta still looking after us. 

lol Turkish stores to start winning the public

its a bit of a half effort move tbh, they shouldn't just be making sugary drinks more costly, they should be enticing companies who make healthier options to drop their prices (tax reduction or whatever)

• Like 1

Would never happen. That would cost the taxpayer whereas this does the opposite.

It has had an notable effect on the industry. Almost everything has been reformulated over the past year to be below the sugar content threshold with the very few exceptions. 

Take Coca Cola who produce 

Coca-Cola

Monster 

Innocent

Coke Zero

Diet Coke

Fanta

Sprite

Dr Pepper

Lilt

Oasis

Glaceau Smartwater/Vitamin Water

Capri-Sun

Relentless

Schweppes

Powerade 

and more...

they will contribute more than 60% of the £250m tax, yet it will only apply to the top two brands. The government expected to see several times that amount but its was more cost effective to invest in reformulation than to pay the tax long term. Especially given that the gov have a bottle return scheme on the horizon.

The thing is Coke were reformulating years before the tax was even announced last year and the statistics have already proven that there is no correlation between the amount of sugar consumed through soft drinks and obesity on a national scale. With the sugar content declining whilst obesity rises. The gov just need to be seen to be taking action.

26 minutes ago, Anderson said:

I LOVE ting, bought a few cans the other day each one was disgusting, thought I just got a dead batch...

Weebay gif

Its heart breaking. This is my one fizzy drink after they effed with the 7 up recipe time ago

Which shop?

I did some research and found they have a factory in the UK so i think thats the issue

The ting uk seems to be separate from ting Jamaica, maybe we can get the imported stuff