For those who question the struggle

Grafter

Long article but worth the read. Things arent aaas bad here but they are bad

I've personally been physically mistreated at the drs and I kno it was racism. My nan was given drugs by a dr at the hospital that were in effect killing her and luckily she spoke to one of his juniors and the man said 'i would not be takin this if I were you'. An we kno the dr was racist because he said hello to everyone else in the waitin room who was white except my nan.

An i heard a few other stories from other people recently.

Have any of you or your family experienced bad treatment from medical staff due to race?

Anyway some extracts from the article.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/magazine/black-mothers-babies-death-maternal-mortality.html?smid=fb-share

The reasons for the black-white divide in both infant and maternal mortality have been debated by researchers and doctors for more than two decades. But recently there has been growing acceptance of what has largely been, for the medical establishment, a shocking idea: For black women in America, an inescapable atmosphere of societal and systemic racism can create a kind of toxic physiological stress, resulting in conditions — including hypertension and pre-eclampsia — that lead directly to higher rates of infant and maternal death. And that societal racism is further expressed in a pervasive, longstanding racial bias in health care — including the dismissal of legitimate concerns and symptoms — that can help explain poor birth outcomes even in the case of black women with the most advantages.

“Actual institutional and structural racism has a big bearing on our patients’ lives, and it’s our responsibility to talk about that more than just saying that it’s a problem,” says Dr. Sanithia L. Williams, an African-American OB-GYN in the Bay Area and a fellow with the nonprofit organization Physicians for Reproductive Health. “That has been the missing piece, I think, for a long time in medicine.”

: A 1997 study published by two Chicago neonatologists, Richard David and James Collins, in The New England Journal of Medicine found that babies born to new immigrants from impoverished West African nations weighed more than their black American-born counterparts and were similar in size to white babies. In other words, they were more likely to be born full term, which lowers the risk of death. In 2002, the same researchers made a further discovery: The daughters of African and Caribbean immigrants who grew up in the United States went on to have babies who were smaller than their mothers had been at birth, while the grandchildren of white European women actually weighed more than their mothers had at birth. It took just one generation for the American black-white disparity to manifest.

• Like 1

Is it racism or is the NHS just truley fucked?

Im having to wait nearly 7 months for an op that should of been done in January after they diagnosed me. Shits a disgrace and my issue is only getting worse.

7 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

You should look into going private @FA23.

my boy went into for a groin operation, 2 weeks from consultation to operation. He said the whole service was amazing.

Might have to look in to it because this whole thing is just stress. How expensive is it? 

Not that cost matters when health is at stake.

13 minutes ago, FA23 said:

Is it racism or is the NHS just truley fucked?

Im having to wait nearly 7 months for an op that should of been done in January after they diagnosed me. Shits a disgrace and my issue is only getting worse.

The incidence that my family and I have experienced was racism. My thing, the woman not allowed to treat me again and im still very very angry about it, nothing to do with cuts or bad trainin cos no one else did to me what she did.

Same with my nan.

No doubt the NHS is fucked.

There is definitely unconscious bias affecting people treatment, its just a natural thing and we have had to have unconscious bias training at my work. Theres nothing really different between white health professionals here and in America. If they inherently believe black people are stronger, don't feel pain etc etc thats gna have a bad effect.

This thing is two fold anyhow as highlighted by the extracts

Before u even get to a dr for whatever the hell u need to ur half dead because u been facin racism in so many other aspects of your life.

6 minutes ago, FA23 said:

Might have to look in to it because this whole thing is just stress. How expensive is it? 

Not that cost matters when health is at stake.

I’m not 100% sure, i think it may have been around 4k. I know he got his done using a payment plan option, so it’s definitely affordable.

Ive also heard horror stories about private treatment and sometimes they don't even have the expertise or equipment necessary and u end up back in the NHS so you have to consider all of that. Private is not always the answer @FA23

I wouldn't bring ur waitin time into the racism debate necessarily because we see all races havin to wait

Once again Lewis thinks he knows it all!

What a surprise

Anyway

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-spends-millions-picking-up-7776286

A damning report says around 6,000 patients a year need NHS care after private treatment goes wrong...

Private hospitals ‘are often not equipped to deal with complications from surgery’, a damning report warns.

As many as 6,000 patients a year need NHS care after bungled treatment at a non-NHS hospital.

Almost half of them - around 2,500 - are ‘emergency’ cases who have to be rushed to the nearest NHS hospital.

Before you start givin people health advice why don't you make sure you provide a balanced, caveated 'opinion' first.

This is not what my topic is about so either stick to it or continue not to respond to my posts as you have been so gracious to do of late

Its not a debate the nhs is fucked

Racism can occur whether its fucked or not. Why u repeatin something which has already been addressed?

/

Oh and by the way Lewis, many drs who work in the private sector also work in or have worked in the NHS. Same qualifications...

So when ur sayin the best tend to go private thats another baseless fallacy

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Heero Yuy said:

The private sector, where the worlds best doctors and surgeons tend to work..don’t have the expertise and equipment  ?

This is not true unless you are talking about the worlds best doctors that work on athletes and royals etc....

most private companies take on moonlighters from the nhs

but saying that nhs is a joke not because of the skill level just that they have a certain script and targets to follow and usually ignore your problem unless life threatening 

you're not allowed to work in private practice before going through years in the NHS (is what I've been told)

NHS is a joke because its not funded enough. Factors that mount up to it being called a joke will likely be caused by lack of funding

I know you didnt read the entire article

Topic is for debate, I addressed the UK/US difference initially and I asked an open question to the forum

Thanks for your advice though love yh xx

Im actually not surprised at racism in medical treatment anymore

I was more shocked at the extracts I highlighted which no one here has commented on. Regardless whether u believe we have racist drs and health professionals here (which u would be stupid not to honestly - however cognitively destabilising) we do experience racism in general an by the studies highlighted in the article, its killing us...it won't just apply to mothers will it? We are all goin to be physically affected by it

Food for thought

Please watch this an keep tellin me its only in America. It clearly and distinctly shows the racism within mental health care here, the disproportionate level of aggressive, inappropriate treatments delivered to black men for no other reason but they are black. Also touches on the effects that society specifically has on black men HERE IN THE UK

Burying ur head in the sand doesn't make things better. When u do that at something happens to you, because you weren't mentally prepared (simply by being aware and not in denial) its gna lick off ur head and shatter ur reality.

You shouldn't need "proof" but here it is

• Like 1

i haven't read the article yet @Grafter but i will, i just wanted to say I haven't personally experienced racism in the medical world but my doctor who is a white knows all about racist doctors and he has helped get 2 sacked/moved on and reported others who are walking thin lines that he used to work with in various medical centers. One of the ones he got fired used to refuse to see non white patients and when she did, she'd refuse to give medication. One person died after being misdiagnosed by her, all the person apparently needed was antibiotics or at the very least have a blood test (the center had a blood test service). it was a text book case but when he got to the hospital it was too late, the infection had spread due to having other underlining issues. her lack of help may not have directly killed the guy but it certainly didn't help.

some of u might think nah, it's not racist and the person was just unlucky etc but when it went to an industrial tribunal records were pulled up, on the same day she saw 4 ppl complaining of similar issues according to her own notes, 3 were white, 2 got antibiotics, 1 got a blood test & subsequently sent to the hospital and guess which one got 0 help?

other things were pulled up in the records as well as my doctors statements of her regularly making racist jokes in partner meetings, cancelling or scheduling appointments of non white patients with other doctors at the center.

if you live in west london u may have read the story in the local papers too