Work Rage

Incumbent

6 hours ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Do you man think class trumps this sort of thing more than race in England? 

Class massively trumps Race in England. I always thought this but my few years in the ‘adult’ world are confirming it more... even though some black people seem to wanna try so hard to make all the other black people as paranoid about and obsessed with race as they are ??‍♂️

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Do you man think class trumps this sort of thing more than race in England? 

In terms of work place promotions etc I'm not sure it does. I see more white people from working class backgrounds in my sector in senior management positions than black or brown folk. The whole IT thing people have talked about here I've seen it a few times.

People might hold secret/quiet disdain for these working class people but they still get into these positions easier imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grafter said:

In terms of work place promotions etc I'm not sure it does. I see more white people from working class backgrounds in my sector in senior management positions than black or brown folk. The whole IT thing people have talked about here I've seen it a few times.

People might hold secret/quiet disdain for these working class people but they still get into these positions easier imo

Exactly.

Now if we’re talking about getting your foot in the door, class and wealth plays an essential part. Having Eton, Oxford or Cambridge on your CV will push you right to the front. And we already know the barriers there are into getting into those universities/colleges.

If you’re not studying at those schools on a scholarship, then your parents will more than likely have connections. I’ve worked with guys who simply had to tell the company who their dad was and they got the job. So yes, nepotism and class definitely a huge part initially.

And as you said, when it comes to promotion and pay, race takes precedence over class. They even did a study on it. Who do you really think they’re gonna promote: a white working class man or a middle class black man?

It really isn’t up for debate.  

21 minutes ago, ag. said:

Some of u have a losers mentality. It's bait to see why you think race is such a massive factor.

i got discriminated against, i fought and won :/

ain't no "looser mentality" here, just real ppl navigating fuckery dished out by whites

fucking hate ignorant cunts like you talking about other ppl's experiences when u ain't lived it

you question everything race related as if black ppl are living mythical lives

/

you could easily be cliff & bobbi laughing in the background during the glenfell effigy bonfire

• Upvote 2

Police are definitely only looking at class when they stop and search right. I guess those statistics about which groups are more likely to be stopped are made up. Including the disproportionate force used. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44214748

I laugh how you tell the people who are on the receiving end on racism not to focus on race, like it’s our fault there’s  discrimination.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheOneGameBaller said:

And as you said, when it comes to promotion and pay, race takes precedence over class. They even did a study on it. Who do you really think they’re gonna promote: a white working class man or a middle class black man?

It really isn’t up for debate.  

What study are you referring to brah?

I disagree. I have only anecdotal evidence to look to If I'm honest, but from what ive seen a black middle class person is the dream for big corporates wanting to fill senior management and even board positions.  

I'd say that a black middle class person in some instances may even be preferred to a white middle class person who is equally qualified. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Martinez said:

What study are you referring to brah?

I disagree. I have only anecdotal evidence to look to If I'm honest, but from what ive seen a black middle class person is the dream for big corporates wanting to fill senior management and even board positions.  

I'd say that a black middle class person in some instances may even be preferred to a white middle class person who is equally qualified. 

I’ll give you a few examples.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/04/white-nhs-doctors-more-likely-to-be-promoted-than-minorities

Racism within the NHS is headline news once again, as Royal College of Physicians (RCP) research shows that white doctors are significantly more likely than black and minority ethnic (BAME) doctors to be promoted to consultant level.

This news comes just a few weeks after the discovery that black doctors are paid, on average, £10,000 less than their white colleagues.

The study found that, although white British doctors are, in fact, applying for fewer posts when attempting to become consultants, they are still more likely to be shortlisted and offered a job.

Also:

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news/articles/one-in-four-employees-witnessed-racist-bullying

More than half of BAME employees (52 per cent) believe they will have to leave their current organisation to progress in their career, compared to 38 per cent of white British employees. 

“Progress is being made, and the recent government consultation on mandatory ethnicity pay gap reporting shows employers need to take this seriously, but much more needs to be done,” she said. 

“We know that we do not have enough ethnic minority people represented in our senior leadership positions and, in order to drive real change, action plans need to directly address the underlying reasons for this.” 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, Incumbent said:

i wanted to walk out too after the incident tbh but coz of the evidence i had against them i couldn't

had to make them pay, maybe they'll think twice about it next time

i heard that "mark" c*nt lost his house coz he couldn't pay the mortgage as he couldn't find a new job in time

the manager is claiming benefits

fuck them

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clapp

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Incumbent said:

i got discriminated against, i fought and won :/

ain't no "looser mentality" here, just real ppl navigating fuckery dished out by whites

fucking hate ignorant cunts like you talking about other ppl's experiences when u ain't lived it

you question everything race related as if black ppl are living mythical lives

/

you could easily be cliff & bobbi laughing in the background during the glenfell effigy bonfire

Already getting emotional before you engage logic. I can’t even grasp how you thought the Grenfell thing was relevant. 

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Martinez said:

I'm talking about the role class plays when these decisions are made in the context of big corporations with diversity quotas to fill. 

Tell them again, some of these guys are so committed to the ‘woe is me’/‘black people are victims forever’ angle they won’t even consider the alternative... 

• Downvote 1

Most modern work places are smart enough not to tread the race line. They know that's the Holy grail not to touch anymore. 

Instead is other creative narratives Eg he /she was "aggressive", nit pick on finer aspects of employment policy or pay rise performance reviews. Hired maximum ethnic quota to fulfil Gov stats of diversity and inclusion policies. 

Eg just like using class to get round the semantics.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vtec said:

"We've ticked our diversity box by hiring gays and lesbians and couple of trans."

Couple of tokens for "BAME" tick box. And they set. 

Lol my work place is all about  tick box culture.

We have trans week. Disable toilets sings gets changed with all inclusive signs 

Gay week. Zebra crossing in the building gets painted with rainbow colors ffs. 

BAME association.  They have regular meetings, but the color contrast is still evident within the level of hierarchy  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Drift said:

Not working in IT/Systems*

Couldnt agree more. Just to reiterate this point. 

I've experienced proper fucked discrimination before based on my background and have seen others fall victim to it too. 

But since I've worked in the technology industry for 5, 6 years. I've never seen it. It's always been about how smart you are and how good you are at your job. Regardless of what you loook like. Sound like. Dress like. Etc etc. None of that shit matters in the development world. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Afroman said:

Lol my work place is all about  tick box culture.

We have trans week. Disable toilets sings gets changed with all inclusive signs 

Gay week. Zebra crossing in the building gets painted with rainbow colors ffs. 

BAME association.  They have regular meetings, but the color contrast is still evident within the level of hierarchy  

Yeah its nuts.. The other week my workplace had a women's week. And all attendees are white women and the now very focused drive by the company to get more women on the board. And of course that will still mirror the white male domainated structure model. No black females attended this. 

There is also a black professionals network. 

A separate BAME group, a trans group and so on. 

All overseen under one umbrella directive called diversity strategy. Headed up by a white woman. 

The emails that fly around are nauseating. Eg black professionals group organises an event. The trans and bi and other sexual group (all white) keep trying to hijack it suggesting to do CO-OPT events to promote diversity. 

I just laugh at my other co black workers in that group as they vent frustrations offline about the intersectional hijack trying to blend sexual confusion with skin colour. 

But nothing they can do, as the diversity director (white woman calls the shots ultimately). 

HR will be on their ass if they complain about it too. 

• Like 2