Work Rage

Incumbent

12 minutes ago, Afroman said:

That changing job to get a pay rise is very real.

If you want a serious pay rise you need to be cutting every 2/3 years, i'd argue the same with progression. Get you experience and move on, too many people are married to their jobs.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Couldnt agree more. Just to reiterate this point. 

I've experienced proper fucked discrimination before based on my background and have seen others fall victim to it too. 

But since I've worked in the technology industry for 5, 6 years. I've never seen it. It's always been about how smart you are and how good you are at your job. Regardless of what you loook like. Sound like. Dress like. Etc etc. None of that shit matters in the development world. 

c/s both you and Drift

37 minutes ago, Vtec said:

Yeah its nuts.. The other week my workplace had a women's week. And all attendees are white women and the now very focused drive by the company to get more women on the board. And of course that will still mirror the white male domainated structure model. No black females attended this. 

There is also a black professionals network. 

A separate BAME group, a trans group and so on. 

All overseen under one umbrella directive called diversity strategy. Headed up by a white woman. 

The emails that fly around are nauseating. Eg black professionals group organises an event. The trans and bi and other sexual group (all white) keep trying to hijack it suggesting to do CO-OPT events to promote diversity. 

I just laugh at my other co black workers in that group as they vent frustrations offline about the intersectional hijack trying to blend sexual confusion with skin colour. 

But nothing they can do, as the diversity director (white woman calls the shots ultimately). 

HR will be on their ass if they complain about it too. 

Happened in my old work

They are tryin here

Never been an never will be involved

Box tickin crap

11 hours ago, Afroman said:

Lol my work place is all about  tick box culture.

We have trans week. Disable toilets sings gets changed with all inclusive signs 

Gay week. Zebra crossing in the building gets painted with rainbow colors ffs. 

BAME association.  They have regular meetings, but the color contrast is still evident within the level of hierarchy  

11 hours ago, Vtec said:

Yeah its nuts.. The other week my workplace had a women's week. And all attendees are white women and the now very focused drive by the company to get more women on the board. And of course that will still mirror the white male domainated structure model. No black females attended this. 

There is also a black professionals network. 

A separate BAME group, a trans group and so on. 

All overseen under one umbrella directive called diversity strategy. Headed up by a white woman. 

The emails that fly around are nauseating. Eg black professionals group organises an event. The trans and bi and other sexual group (all white) keep trying to hijack it suggesting to do CO-OPT events to promote diversity. 

I just laugh at my other co black workers in that group as they vent frustrations offline about the intersectional hijack trying to blend sexual confusion with skin colour. 

But nothing they can do, as the diversity director (white woman calls the shots ultimately). 

HR will be on their ass if they complain about it too. 

You both broke it down perfectly. That’s why I was never with the whole BAME title. It’s just a way to tick boxes and still discriminate. The amount of co-opting has made it obvious. No one has benefitted more from positive discrimination than white women and the LGBT community.

To be fair, the current team I work with is a good mix and we all get along. But the bottom line is we know that we’ll have to leave for another company as we don’t fit the “profile” for any meaningful progression.

@Heero Yuy is right. Get experience where you work for a few years, move to another job and do the same. That’s what I and others have done because loyalty will not benefit you at a company, especially  if you’re black.

49 minutes ago, Seydou said:

Everybody writing their work experiences except Ag

chuckle.gif

Boy... the elephant in the room that we know won’t be addressed. 

11 hours ago, Drift said:

Not working in IT/Systems*

11 hours ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Couldnt agree more. Just to reiterate this point. 

I've experienced proper fucked discrimination before based on my background and have seen others fall victim to it too. 

But since I've worked in the technology industry for 5, 6 years. I've never seen it. It's always been about how smart you are and how good you are at your job. Regardless of what you loook like. Sound like. Dress like. Etc etc. None of that shit matters in the development world. 

Well you’re working in an industry where you’re judged on different metrics. It would be hard to discriminate against someone who is clearly smart and good at their job in your field of work.

You can’t pay the next man less if he’s statistically banging in goals compared to his counterparts.   

I work in finance where nepotism is rife and the biggest idiots get senior positions. I’m not mad because that’s just how politics work.  I’m just acknowledging how people are going to move up others they “identify” more with.

I just don’t get why people are trying to bring up “class” and other non sequiturs when people are discussing their own personal experiences with discrimination. It’s just being dismissive. “Are you sure it’s racism and not something else?” 

On 11/5/2018 at 10:46 AM, Incumbent said:

work rage is a mad ting, i've experienced it once and proper lost it. what saved me was i didn't touch the bitch

man just dashed chairs and tables about but she try tell senior management & police that i slapped and punched her

lucky for me there was cctv

this bitch never liked me from day dot, she was my manager & tried hard to get rid of me by doing bare fucked up shit like doing the rota. she would ask everyone else what they wanted then just give me the left overs, others would always have certain days off but when i ask for them it's no, she'd leave me out of department meetings then when i ask she'd say oh sorry, i thought i told you. she would always tell me to do jobs that i either wasn't supposed to do or hadn't been taught how to do then when i don't do it or don't it properly she'd e-mail me stating all the wrongs i've done and cc supervisor & colleagues

lots of other things but what got to me was one day i turned up to work, said hello to everyone but nobody said shit, next minute i was bombarded with work which apparently i hadn't done so now the department was due for a audit. my instincts told me something ain't right so between breaks & lunch i left my mobile in the office and left it recording and boom.

caught manager & 4 others planning how they were going to blame everything on me and get me sacked, they called me all sorts of names and what made me loose it was my girl said "...he submitted a holiday form in coz he wanted to spend time with his soon to be dead uncle, i am going to deny it and said you mark already booked a holiday, cath and jenny are on a course" and you can hear all them laughing & giggling

when i heard it, i came out of the toilets and mark & her were in the staff room so i confronted them, they denied it and that's when pure rage came out

investigation took place by hr, i submitted all the madness they'd been doing over the course of 2 years and her and mark lost their jobs, mark used to make racist jokes under the term of "banter"

the others got final warnings

under the term bants, what were the racist jokes.....??? and also what were they saying behind your back under the recordings etc etc...???

4 hours ago, TheOneGameBaller said:

I just don’t get why people are trying to bring up “class” and other non sequiturs when people are discussing their own personal experiences with discrimination. It’s just being dismissive. “Are you sure it’s racism and not something else?” 

You wouldn’t get dismissive responses if you weren’t so inflexible. I agree that Race is a big issue but you shouldn’t ignore ‘classism’ for want of a better word is also a big issue; even more subtle n nuanced sometimes than racism IMO. Problem with some black people, I have noticed it most from Caribeans, they are so loyal to the idea of racism they get offended when other people say things that contradict the persecuted narrative all black people should run with. Your experiences are not objective reality, ppl like u forget that. Same mentality I see from the deranged feminists

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, ag. said:

You wouldn’t get dismissive responses if you weren’t so inflexible. I agree that Race is a big issue but you shouldn’t ignore ‘classism’ for want of a better word is also a big issue; even more subtle n nuanced sometimes than racism IMO. Problem with some black people, I have noticed it most from Caribeans, they are so loyal to the idea of racism they get offended when other people say things that contradict the persecuted narrative all black people should run with. Your experiences are not objective reality, ppl like u forget that. Same mentality I see from the deranged feminists

So you’re going to Rays Charles my post where I said class is a huge factor getting when getting your foot in the door? 

And you’re making it seem as if race and class are mutually exclusive, you can be discriminated on both grounds. 

What is your profession?

On 11/7/2018 at 8:51 AM, TheOneGameBaller said:

Exactly.

Now if we’re talking about getting your foot in the door, class and wealth plays an essential part. Having Eton, Oxford or Cambridge on your CV will push you right to the front. And we already know the barriers there are into getting into those universities/colleges.

If you’re not studying at those schools on a scholarship, then your parents will more than likely have connections. .  

I would say at Cambridge those of us from normal to lower class background numbered around 25-30%,however even amongst these there are elements of family privilege eg people like me from immigrant families who didn't have a lot over here but back in the homeland were essentially top brass and  shot callers etc. So this mindset was instilled in us from early and abetted our entrance into the institution. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheOneGameBaller said:

So you’re going to Rays Charles my post where I said class is a huge factor getting when getting your foot in the door? 

And you’re making it seem as if race and class are mutually exclusive, you can be discriminated on both grounds. 

What is your profession?

You can defintely be discriminated upon based on both, I agree. And in an ideal world we would discuss class as much as race. From my life experiences I have seen class hold people back more than race.

Currently a student again as i have said repeatedly. & I have also worked at various types of places since I left school and am also basing my opinions on what i hear and see from family, friends, etc... 

45 minutes ago, cambridgebanteer said:

I would say at Cambridge those of us from normal to lower class background numbered around 25-30%,however even amongst these there are elements of family privilege eg people like me from immigrant families who didn't have a lot over here but back in the homeland were essentially top brass and  shot callers etc. So this mindset was instilled in us from early and abetted our entrance into the institution. 

Everything you said is facts and more proof that social class can and regularly does trump race in different ways.