Production Techniques in Grime

Guest BD1982

Guest BD1982

i know a lot of if not close to all producers are using software (fruity loops, reason, ableton, etc) but does anybody use MPC's? obviously more hip hop oriented stuff this is on the top list but how about grime/dubstep?

Guest BD1982

i hear ya...if you can bang out a track on one machine you can do it on another one. its interesting which platforms are more naturally used for diff. styles of music tho without a doubt

Guest Durrty Boi

dont HAVE to use anythingjust what the producers are comfortable withnothing to do with the threadbut i hate it when inexperienced idiots start talking about macs being better than PCshow exactly?

Personally I find that it's not the tools you use, but the way you use 'em. I'm workin on getting some hardware, because I've always liked big desks, modules, samplers and synths, but what I'm working with right now suits me (and my budget) pretty well, for the time being at least.On the subject of Macs and PCs, I'm a PC head (and have been for over a decade now), but Macs are generally more stable with less crashes and tougher security (which is ideal if you're prone to sitting for hours working on that big track and then your screen freezes). That said tho, I don't like the Mac's OS and much prefer PCs. It really just boils down to preference.t.

Guest BD1982
I'm fine doing things with software but I would like to at least try some hardware like an MPC for example. For those who have used an MPC, does it make the whole beat creation process any faster?
i think it does...once you get all your samples loaded and set how u want em you can start bangin away gettin some sequences together. i haven't really delved into making a bunch of well thought out tracks with only software, but i think the hands-on approach is def. quicker for gettin some fast and dirty down to tweak about with

Normally ur beats sound better if u play them in, rather than just sequencing them, say if u got a MIDI controller, use each key to trigger a different drum sound, or een better get one that has actual drum pads

the guy who invented the MPC was on the radio the other day sayin how he is broke as f*ck cos Akai "pressured" him into selling them the rights/patents
pissed for that guytbh i dunno why mpc is so popular spose its just the one evry saysi thought more people wud get Boss/Roland machines like neptunes usethers bare of these kind of tings on the market shud just try suttin out that aint used by evry1 - u'll come with more unique soundbut yer mpc is or right

Macs are generally more stable with less crashes and tougher security (which is ideal if you're prone to sitting for hours working on that big track and then your screen freezes). That said tho, I don't like the Mac's OS and much prefer PCs. It really just boils down to preference.
See this is what durrty is chatting about..I used macs (G5, OSX) for 2 years at college for making beats and they crashed/locked up way more than my pc...

dont HAVE to use anythingjust what the producers are comfortable withnothing to do with the threadbut i hate it when inexperienced idiots start talking about macs being better than PCshow exactly?
Hype...Cos everyone uses Logic in Hip Hop....However it is true that big companies use Macs for there media work and Windows PCs for there administration work.