So, you're going to uni?

John Galt

I actually wish I had been on this forum before I hit 16 so at least I could get the kind of advice Durrty or the others are getting. Before Ileft school, my dream career was football or music. What kind of A-Levels am I going to take to get a career out of those? As a result, when it comes to degree subjects, I am partially limited to subjects that some may deem as "mickey mouse" subjects so if that's the case that you should only be allowed to study if you are doing traditional subjects then you have cut off an avenue and aspiration for a large number of school leavers.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my philosophy...study what you love to do, you're more likely to be successful in life when you're doing something you enjoy.
Yeah, I could have just became a doctor or accountant but that is boring and just feels like I was being pushed that way by the school or what people expect you to do. My mum always told me it doesn't matter what job you're doing as long as you love it and you are happy.

my philosophy...study what you love to do, you're more likely to be successful in life when you're doing something you enjoy.
You got a 1st in something like Computer Systems or something liek that didn't you? I was into that. I wanted to study computer science at uni, but A-Level Computing killed all interest in that field of study. What was your course like and what's jobs saying?

Guest the_truth_hurts

A degree is a degree at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether its Forensic science or football studies. a degree increases your chances of employment. True though about media students 'you want fries with thats' too far but theres not enough demand for people in media jobs. I saw something somewhere that theres more people qualified in photography in england than the amount of jobs in the industry across europe.

A degree is a degree at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether its Forensic science or football studies. a degree increases your chances of employment. True though about media students 'you want fries with thats' too far but theres not enough demand for people in media jobs. I saw something somewhere that theres more people qualified in photography in england than the amount of jobs in the industry across europe.
obviously not true at all. not even on that "a car is a car type level" where there's an element of truth because both a sh*t car or a sick one will get you from A to B

Guest the_truth_hurts
obviously not true at all. not even on that "a car is a car type level" where there's an element of truth because both a sh*t car or a sick one will get you from A to B
it is true a degree takes 3 years of hard work, patience, discipline and focus and employees rate that. Obviously if you want to get into engineering a degree is childcare might not do you much good but for a job in the bank or something like that a degree gives you an edge. A degree in media probably won't lead to a job in media but it WILL boost your chances of employment.

why is everyone singling out engineering, im starting civil this year, my dad did the same and believe me it is so hard you don't even get an inch to breathe, cant even compare it to media studies and childcare thats just straight disrespectful
*co-signed*

Guest the_truth_hurts
why is everyone singling out engineering, im starting civil this year, my dad did the same and believe me it is so hard you don't even get an inch to breathe, cant even compare it to media studies and childcare thats just straight disrespectful
my pops does engineering so i know its hard work and unlike other industries theres a lack of qualified engineers. My points saying that Engineering is a skilled job so unless you'e got a degree or experience in engineering you can't do the job and an alternative degree won't be of any use.

Smaddy does civil. Just from listening to what she has to do I know it's hard. Shouldn't come in the same breath as any BA that I can think of.

what worries me most is that I never properly had to apply myself to gcse's or a-levels, just breezed through. Starting uni is going to be a next-level shock but at least im preparing myself for it
Just remember that although you're supposed to be independent, you don't have to be alone. Get help everywhere it's offered. Every opportunity to get help is like gold dust.

what worries me most is that I never properly had to apply myself to gcse's or a-levels, just breezed through. Starting uni is going to be a next-level shock but at least im preparing myself for it
Just remember that although you're supposed to be independent, you don't have to be alone. Get help everywhere it's offered. Every opportunity to get help is like gold dust.
explain

I got my dad, he's a civil engineer for a start. bare .pdf files goin to be sent his way from my room

so wat, do u believe subjects such as media studies and sociology are for the most part a wast of time?
That is not what I was alluding to.
my philosophy...[do] what you love to do, you're more likely to be successful in life when you're doing something you enjoy.
!!!!

what courses does one take to become a stock broker??
you dn't need a degree to become a stock broker, however it is becoming increasingly common for a stockbroker to have one, these degrees are most often either economics or law, sumtimes both.
Law is not "favoured" upon. Any numerate degree will suffice.
Like everyone taking science, accounting or engineering is gona be successful or wealthy lol
Definitely more so than any media/film etc grad
From their point of view a person is more employable with a degree, so if they help you get a degree when you find work there will be more taxes to take from wages.Also while you are studying you cant be on the dole, draining the system, which is what alot of young kids would do if they didnt go Uni straight away.The Goverment always profit.The Governent always win.
Half wrong. You're forgetting that the graduate wins aswell. If s/he wasnt, then s/he wouldnt do a degree. Economic theory also implies that if the agent wasn't going to benefit more than the government was, then s/he also wouldnt do the degree. Won't explain any further...
I actually wish I had been on this forum before I hit 16 so at least I could get the kind of advice Durrty or the others are getting. Before Ileft school, my dream career was football or music. What kind of A-Levels am I going to take to get a career out of those? As a result, when it comes to degree subjects, I am partially limited to subjects that some may deem as "mickey mouse" subjects so if that's the case that you should only be allowed to study if you are doing traditional subjects then you have cut off an avenue and aspiration for a large number of school leavers.
Don't blame the internet on the lack of advice you received. I find it quite hard to believe that only Football and Music were the career choices of your school...
A degree is a degree at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether its Forensic science or football studies. a degree increases your chances of employment.
No, not when you have ridiculous degrees as "David Beckham Studies" or "Planespotting" and the other sh*t that shite unis offer.
Smaddy does civil. Just from listening to what she has to do I know it's hard. Shouldn't come in the same breath as any BA that I can think of.
A Cambridge BA in Maths would give her a run for her money.I agree with the original posts. If we got rid of this shite, worthless degrees, then the government can allocate more funding to the more useful or valued subjects at university.

so wat, do u believe subjects such as media studies and sociology are for the most part a wast of time?
That is not what I was alluding to.
my philosophy...[do] what you love to do, you're more likely to be successful in life when you're doing something you enjoy.
!!!!
ermm.... okay... thats been acknowlegedonce againwat is your opinion, im sure u have one.

what courses does one take to become a stock broker??
you dn't need a degree to become a stock broker, however it is becoming increasingly common for a stockbroker to have one, these degrees are most often either economics or law, sumtimes both.
Law is not "favoured" upon. Any numerate degree will suffice.
Like everyone taking science, accounting or engineering is gona be successful or wealthy lol
Definitely more so than any media/film etc grad
From their point of view a person is more employable with a degree, so if they help you get a degree when you find work there will be more taxes to take from wages.Also while you are studying you cant be on the dole, draining the system, which is what alot of young kids would do if they didnt go Uni straight away.The Goverment always profit.The Governent always win.
Half wrong. You're forgetting that the graduate wins aswell. If s/he wasnt, then s/he wouldnt do a degree. Economic theory also implies that if the agent wasn't going to benefit more than the government was, then s/he also wouldnt do the degree. Won't explain any further...
Don't blame the internet on the lack of advice you received. I find it quite hard to believe that only Football and Music were the career choices of your school...
A degree is a degree at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether its Forensic science or football studies. a degree increases your chances of employment.
No, not when you have ridiculous degrees as "David Beckham Studies" or "Planespotting" and the other sh*t that shite unis offer.
A Cambridge BA in Maths would give her a run for her money.I agree with the original posts. If we got rid of this shite, worthless degrees, then the government can allocate more funding to the more useful or valued subjects at university.
Never heard of a BA in Maths. A BSc yes, but not a BA.

Never heard of a BA in Maths. A BSc yes, but not a BA.
All of Oxbridges 3 year degrees are BA's
I swear to become a stock broker or investment banking the best degree to do is Accounting and Finance... Thas where all the money is but boi you have to be on it...
No, its not. There is no degree that is the best for stock broking. Back in the day you didn't even need a degree to be a stock broker, just an A Level in Maths. Economics is the most relevant (not necessary) degree to go into Finance.

ermm.... okay... thats been acknowlegedonce againwat is your opinion, im sure u have one.
Universities and (potential) students should remember that they are supposed to be higher education institutions.For example, if you want to learn about Northerness, go and live in Sheffield for a few years. You do not need a degree to learn about being Northern. No more than you need a degree to learn about the media.Media pioneers of 60/70 years ago did to achieve media studies (or comparable) degrees.If you take his word to be true, streets is a perfect example.Going to university for the sole purpose of biding some time is a waste of money. It can be argued that there are some life skills gained, people you meet and networks you create whilst at uni.This is true to some extent. If you want to gain life skills, move out once college/A'Level's are over and try to live on £500 a month.You can meet a diverse range of people if you decide to step out of your comfort zone and consciously choose to interact with people of a similar age group that you would not have considered. All university does is in effect force you to take the step.Networks can be created in almost any situation.It can also be argued that Universities are learning institutions and students can choose the university route as a method of learning. I would counter that by saying choosing what can be considered a "mickey mouse" degree for the sole purpose of learning is not efficient and is a waste of funds, which is what the original post was alluding to.

Yeh but like now its essential to have a degree... Unless you can get a job as a apprentice...Hopefully after uni ima try and get the Accenture graduate job... Them man take on one person for an interview a month but its bare hard...
No it's not. Just use common sense.