Title Celebration Thread

Guest Sergio Agüero

raasclart bumpwe aint finished celebrating yet, i still got a f*ck*ng hangover

Michael Carrick says that his second Premier League title was more difficult to win than the first – but he has already set his sights on a hat-trick of league championships.Two titles in two years with the Reds, it’s been a success-filled start to the midfielder’s Old Trafford career. And now he’s got the trophy bug.“Being champions last year, we wanted to prove that it wasn’t a one-off,” he told MUTV.“This season wasn’t as straightforward as last season. We didn’t start too well and being behind Arsenal like we were, people were saying it was over. But to come out on top like we have done is very satisfying, we have really earned it.“It was great winning it on the day. Last year, even though it was a fantastic feeling that we were champions, I was sat in the front room in my house when we won it."It’s not quite the same as winning your game to win the title. It was a terrific feeling, and once you get it you want more of it. We’re driving on for the third in row already.”Such was Carrick’s focus on the job in hand at the JJB Stadium that he completely forgot about Chelsea’s game against Bolton Wanderers.“I didn’t know until well after the final whistle what had happened at Stamford Bridge,” he admitted. “It was a good ten minutes after the final whistle when Mick Phelan [first-team coach] told me it was 1-1. Up until then I had forgotten all about it, I was so focused on the job we had to do.“We knew that if we won the Chelsea result didn’t matter. That’s all I was interested in, but I think it’s better that we won it on points rather than goal difference. It shows we’re true champions.”This title may have been more difficult to win, but Carrick says it wouldn’t have been possible had the squad not been strengthened in the summer. There is no doubt that the additions of Carlos Tevez, Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani significantly boosted United’s stock.“Determination and discipline within the squad was important,” he adds. “I think the lads that have come in have really strengthened the squad as whole."Everyone has played their part. If it wasn’t for the numbers and quality that we have, we might not be league champions right now.”
Wayne Rooney raised a toast to Sir Alex Ferguson after helping the Reds to retain the Barclays Premier League trophy.The United striker, now savouring his second championship, has nothing but admiration for the man who has won ten titles during his Old Trafford tenure."He’s brilliant. It’s a privilege to play for him every week," said Wayne."He’s been in the game for so long but his determination to win is stronger than ever. All credit to him for staying with the club for so long."Reflecting on a long, hard league campaign, Rooney admitted the final furlong had been difficult. In the past month, United dropped points at Chelsea and Blackburn and Wayne was injured in the process, to the point that he was only expected to be on the bench at best against Wigan."We were under a little bit of pressure towards the end of the season," said Wayne, "but we hung in there."We knew that coming into the last two games, if we got six points we’d be champions. We could see the finish line. It was in our hands and we weren’t going to let it slip. We were so determined to retain the title."
United630.jpg14.jpgth_8.jpgth_4.jpg5.jpgU1155P6T12D3656473F44DT200805120744.jpg87866_man11_123_153lo.jpg87718_man8_123_1141lo.jpg87706_man6_123_624lo.jpg87705_man5_123_470lo.jpg07211_man2_123_159lo.jpg07205_man1_123_252lo.jpg
Ryan Giggs couldn’t contain his delight having scored the goal that sealed United’s tenth Premier League crown.But the Reds’ winger, who was a second-half substitute for Ji-sung Park, says doing it in a game where he equalled Sir Bobby Charton’s appearance record is a mere aside.“It feels great,” he said of his record-extending tenth title. “I’m not bothered about individual records, this is what it’s all about – championships.“We knew it would be a tough game, and it was. We did well in the first half and got that first goal. Then it was a case of holding on.”Giggs’ goal nine minutes from time ended any hopes of a late Wigan intervention, and it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving player.“It was a great goal just to settle us down,” added the Welshman. “We felt a little more comfortable after that.”The 34-year-old is now targeting a double in Moscow on 21 May. The Reds travel to Russia to take on Chelsea in the Champions League final, and Giggs says: “Winning the league feels great, and hopefully we can win another trophy in ten days’ time.”Rio Ferdinand, thrice a title winner himself, spoke of the players' admiration for Ryan."This is my third title but it’s Giggsy’s tenth and that puts it into perspective," said Rio. "He keeps driving on every season and that’s an inspiration to all the lads.”
Cristiano Ronaldo believes United are worthy winners of the Premier League title, and says he knew when his spot-kick nestled in the back of the net that the Reds would clinch the trophy.It may not have been so clear-cut for every United fan watching events unfold at the JJB Stadium but Ronny, as usual, took the ever-confident approach.“The pressure was high, but we believed in ourselves and we deserved to win the title, definitely,” he said.Some players may have been nervous stepping up to take the spot-kick midway through the first-half. Not Ronaldo.“I was confident because I felt that if I scored we would win the match. I am very happy to help my team.”Ronaldo’s 31 league goals in the 34 games played a huge part in delivering United’s 17th league championship crown, but he says praise cannot be heaped on one player.“This was a team effort and I think we deserved it because we are the best team in the Premier League.”
Manchester United are to request champions' medals for Gerard Pique and Tomasz Kuszczak, who each made nine appearances this season rather than the medal-earning mark of 10. (Daily Mail)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic