File server

L

I'm quickly building a server coz i'm annoyed at having my files on 3 different computers and its long streaming to my 360..Specs are pretty basic, 1gb, around 1TB storage over 3 hard drives, athlon 64 3200 processor.. I'm just using an old pc i've got because it's pratically silentBUt i'm unsure what OS to use, i'm thinking just use windows home server in terms of ease of set up, and it seems to do everything i want, SMB sharing, media (upnp) sharing for the 360Only problem is i might want to use this as an actually pc from time to time since i'm putting it in my bedroom and windows home server doesnt really allow that..So what other os is as easy to set up as windows home server for basic file sharing?Also one useful thing windows home server has is that it consolidates all your hard drives into one folder, what other OS's do this?

Thinking of windows server but i'm just wondering how complicated it is to set up, its this feature on home server thats doing it for meWindows Home Server Drive Extender offers the following benefits for storage solutions. Some of the benefits are: • Allows the seamless addition of more hard drivesAs you add more hard drives to your home server, they are treated as a single large pool of available storage space. You no longer need to deal with drive letters (such as E:, F:, and G: ) because you can add more hard drives.

Guest DN Braund
Thinking of windows server but i'm just wondering how complicated it is to set up, its this feature on home server thats doing it for meWindows Home Server Drive Extender offers the following benefits for storage solutions. Some of the benefits are: • Allows the seamless addition of more hard drivesAs you add more hard drives to your home server, they are treated as a single large pool of available storage space. You no longer need to deal with drive letters (such as E:, F:, and G: ) because you can add more hard drives.
server 2008 is basically vista with server capabilitiesn what theyre talkin about is just RAID-0 in less technical termshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_0#RAID_0dunno bout the smallest disc ting doe, but ull prob jus find that in the small print

Guest DN Braund

id say dnt go with the whole raid 0 tingcoz if one of the drives f*cks up, because the entire system files are spread across all discs its hard to recover n the whole thing could b corrupt, that only really works if ur using intensive programs that require a whole heap of disk transfer bandwidth n sh*t so all the weight is taken off one drive n spread onto all of themif anything hav 2 drives of each, in RAID1 n spread sh*t outlike a drive for ur music, films etc then mirror each, so if one corrupts, uve gt a backup, plus it wont f*ck up everything else, bt the whole RAID ting is a worst comes to worst tingits saved me still, coz if my OS becomes corrupt, all my media is on nexx sh*t n isnt touched, that y i recommened the freeNAS ting

Ok I've just abandoned all this server bullshitJust gonna install windows vista... Found out you can create a "spanned volume" which enables you to use multiple drives as one 'volume', set up media sharing, set up smb sharing.. done.. f*ck it