So, you're going to uni?

John Galt

Should some university subjects be scrapped?Hundreds of university courses should be abolished to save public money, a group campaigning for lower taxes has said.A report from the Taxpayers' Alliance highlighted 401 courses in the UK which it said cost £40m a year to run.The group said courses such as Golf management and Equestrian psychology, "lend the respectability of scholarly qualifications to non-academic subjects".
http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jsp...paginator
The Graduate with a Science Degree asks: "Why does it work"The Graduate with an Engineering Degree asks: "How does it work"The Graduate with an Accounting Degree asks: "How much will it cost?"The Graduate with an Media Studies Degree asks: "Do you want Fries with that?"
I work in what could loosely be called a "media studies" department in a university. In all honesty, the subject is a waste of time and most of our students are dreamers who want to be journalists or TV presenters but who, in reality, tend to end up in call centres. Media studies is an academic conceit - basically, the new sociology.
The soft, sandal wearing, media study students just need a good hard kick up the backside.I notice we haven't had many comments from them but thats probably because they have all gone and strapped themselves to the terminal at Heathrow.
As you were.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read through 15 pages of that forum (wanted to read more but I'm not in the mood for it). In a way I do see where they are coming from, but shouldn't they be more concerned about what people are doing after, especially when these courses DO NOT affect the people complaining? And at the end of the day, why are people going to study a course they are not interested just because there is a shortage or they are deemed as "elite" subjects?

what courses does one take to become a stock broker??
you dn't need a degree to become a stock broker, however it is becoming increasingly common for a stockbroker to have one, these degrees are most often either economics or law, sumtimes both.

Like everyone taking science, accounting or engineering is gona be successful or wealthy lol
That's not what is was alluding to.
so wat, do u believe subjects such as media studies and sociology are for the most part a wast of time?

Like everyone taking science, accounting or engineering is gona be successful or wealthy lol
If thats the case then theres no point in taking a digg at Media Studies.Who cares where the majority end up or what the statistics say?Life is about where you get, what you achieve.

If thats the case then theres no point in taking a digg at Media Studies.Who cares where the majority end up or what the statistics say?Life is about where you get, what you achieve.
Exactly. It's not about shooting down other people's achievements.

Read through 15 pages of that forum (wanted to read more but I'm not in the mood for it). In a way I do see where they are coming from, but shouldn't they be more concerned about what people are doing after, especially when these courses DO NOT affect the people complaining? And at the end of the day, why are people going to study a course they are not interested just because there is a shortage or they are deemed as "elite" subjects?
IMO thats why you should go uni. to make yourself a professional / elite member of society who can actually contribute in a serious way.It's stupid deluding these poor f*ckers that simply by going uni they will earn 30k even if they do multimedia studies, criminology or some other fool fool subject that doesnt really mean anything.The whole point of getting student loan is that the govt are saying you're gonna be useful to us in the future, so we are gonna help you now. Further Education is not a right for any fool who wants to lash bare gyal or party or move away from home. it should be a privilege for those who show potential that they can make something of their livesMost people who do these foolish subjects do not fare any differently than people who go straight to work after college.

IMO thats why you should go uni. to make yourself a professional / elite member of society who can actually contribute in a serious way.It's stupid deluding these poor f*ckers that simply by going uni they will earn 30k even if they do multimedia studies, criminology or some other fool fool subject that doesnt really mean anything.The whole point of hetting student loan is that the govt are saying you're gonna be useful to us in the future, so we are gonna help you now.Most people who do these foolish subjects do not fare any differently than people who go straight to work after college.
Possibly, but as it's been addressed before..WHAT MAKES YOU ThINK YOU ARE GUARANTEED A JOB IF YOU DO AN ENGINEERING, ACCOUNTANCY, ECONOMICS, MATHS, ENGLISH, OR HISTORY DEGREE?Let people do what they wish. If a person is passionate about something, and feel that it will lead them into a profession they want to go into and will enjoy then why shouldn't they? Doing a course because the government needs people there and solely for that reason can be as stupid as going because your parents told you to.Let people do what they do and don't piss on their achievements.

i done media a level, and then decided to branch out and do my degree in film. I am so glad that i never done media it's very theorectial/socialogical based and i know i would thought it was sh*t. unfortunenately media based courses have become raped out cause a lot of people think it's gonna be fun and that u just get to watch sh*t, but if u have to do a lot of work. It pisses me off cause they are people on my course a small minority mind (including myself) that have a passion for our course and what we wanna do and we get laughed at when we state what course were on.

The whole point of getting student loan is that the govt are saying you're gonna be useful to us in the future, so we are gonna help you now.
That was true of the Grant back in the day.Not the loan tho, they aint taking an L on the loan, you have to pay it back.
cuz your paying back like £10 a week for the rest of your life and interest is set at the rate of inflation so they're not even profitting. The govt/economy would be better off if they just had all this money stacked somewhere or put into something more useful.IMO if you aint doing a traditional/useful course you should have to pay more for it, or show some kinda evidence that you've actually got a plan for the future where the course is a stepping stone. Otherwise you should have to foot the majority of the bill yourself or pay some interest rates, so you're actually motivated to do well.

The whole point of getting student loan is that the govt are saying you're gonna be useful to us in the future, so we are gonna help you now.
That was true of the Grant back in the day.Not the loan tho, they aint taking an L on the loan, you have to pay it back.
IMO if you aint doing a traditional/useful course you should have to pay more for it, or show some kinda evidence that you've actually got a plan for the future where the course is a stepping stone. Otherwise you should have to foot the majority of the bill yourself or pay some interest rates, so you're actually motivated to do well.
That's dumb. Who are you to dictate whether or not a certain type of course is a stepping stone to a career? Fact is, how many 16 year olds go into college actaully knowing a career they want to get into and actually stick to it. Most 16 year olds have an idea or no real clue, and so don't pick subjects which would lead to them being able to study traditional subjects at degree level. So even if they decide to, the chances are they won't be able to becuase they don't have that basic Maths or Physics A-Level.

cuz your paying back like £10 a week for the rest of your life and interest is set at the rate of inflation so they're not even profitting.
From their point of view a person is more employable with a degree, so if they help you get a degree when you find work there will be more taxes to take from wages.Also while you are studying you cant be on the dole, draining the system, which is what alot of young kids would do if they didnt go Uni straight away.The Goverment always profit.The Governent always win.