Raaaahhh, We May Not Be Here Now If They Were Successful

Guest Durrty Boi

Guest Durrty Boi
The DNS Backbone DDoS Attacks have been several significant Internet events in which distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) have targeted one or more of the thirteen DNS root servers. These attacks are extremely significant, as the root nameservers function as the Internet backbone, translating text-based Internet hostnames into IP addresses. As the nameservers provide this service for DNS lookups worldwide, attacks against the root nameservers are attempts to disable the Internet itself, rather than specific websites.
October 22, 2002The first attack occurred on October 22, 2002, and lasted for approximately one hour. Of the thirteen servers, nine were disabled but the remaining four were able to cope.This event was the first significant attack directed at trying to disable the Internet itself, instead of specific websites. The largest malfunction of the DNS servers before this event were seven machines in July 1997, due to a technical problem.February 6, 2007A second attack occurred on February 6, 2007. The attack began at 10:30 UTC, and lasted about five hours. Although none of the servers crashed, two of the root servers reportedly "suffered badly", while others saw "heavy traffic". The botnet responsible for the attack has reportedly been traced to South Korea.On February 8, 2007 it was announced by Network World that "If the United States found itself under a major cyberattack aimed at undermining the nationââ¬â¢s critical information infrastructure, the Department of Defense is prepared, based on the authority of the president, to launch a cyber counterattack or an actual bombing of an attack source." This is likely due to one of the DNS root servers being under the control of the United States Department of Defense.

Guest Durrty Boi

couple of the 13 dns servers are owned by the us government, they prob use them for military purposes n sh*t, so if that goes down, its major

I fear the worst for my favourite torrent site.OH MY GOD.It's gone.NOOOOOOOOOOf*cking PRICKS.They've been getting DDoS'd for time now.It's finally happenedthey're gonearghhhhhHOW f*cking WEIRDIt was working yesterdayLooked @ this threadthen went to check my baby was alright in a new tab after I typed the first sentence of this postand it's not workingwtffff