Im buyin it...

Reggie

Amazon - The God Dillusion {Richard Dawkins}510hipPrYyL._AA240_.jpg
Religions developed in times when human life was incredibly difficult - usually very short and full of disease, violence, hunger and poverty. Life is still like this for many people in the world -and the function of religion is to provide some consolation for this suffering, and the illusion that a `higher power' has control over the random chaos of our lives. There is a very enlightening view of the psychological origins of religion in a great book called The Fall by Steve Taylor. It has a chapter called `The Origins of God' which is one of the most convincing explanations of religion I have read.
Richard Dawkins offers his argument against religion from a scientific perspective. It's a superb read regardless of what you believe. Agnostics and atheists will discover much to help qualify their positions, theists can put their faith to the test against Mr. Dawkins' calmly argued logic. There aren't enough books that articulately question faith in this way (which is a real shame for everyone). It's well written and stuffed full of great quotes and anecdotes, and the science is pretty easy to follow, even if (like me) you're not well versed in the subject. Personally I found his arguments compelling and convincing - you might not - but hopefully you'll appreciate the challenge.
ive read the bible ... is about time i read the anti-biblesfe biggrin.gif

On topic however this is taken from a blog where some idiot was tryna slew religion and I was defending it, he is all capitals."MANY BELIEVE IN GOD TO ANSWER WHY THE WORLD EXSISTS....WE CANNOT BE HERE UNLESS SOMETHING CREATED US RIGHT?.....OK FAIR ENOUGH SO WHAT ABOUT "THE QUESTION THAT SHOULD NOT BE ASKED"?.... WHAT CREATED GOD?...AND WHAT CREATED THE THING THAT CREATED GOD?......ETC..WHEN EVER I ASK THAT QUESTION I AM TOLD SIMPLY "NOT TO ASK THAT FOR I HAVE NO RIGHT TO ASK THE LORD SUCH A QUESTION"..ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WOULD LIKE TO TACKLE THIS QUERY WITHOUT FOBBING IT OFF THROUGH RELIGIOUS TALKS?..FEEL FREE"If you read the bible you'd know that God is described as the alpha and omega, the beginning and end. Nothing created God, rather God created everything including time. He exists outside the parameters of time and space as we know it which is why further explanation of this would be pointless because the whole idea of "time being created" is simply beyond comprehension. I don't know who you asked because no self respecting Christian would say you "have no right to ask the lord such a question". Then again I donât really know a lot of self respecting Christians."RELIGION IS BASED ON FEAR AND FAITH. FOR EXAMPLE....I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT MANY PEOPLE SAY THEY ARE RELIGIOUS AND BELIEVE IN GOD BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO "BURN IN HELLS FIRES"..NOT BECUASE THEY LOVE GOD OR KNOW THAT SUCH A THING EXISTS...MANY PEOPLE GET THEIR CHILDREN BAPTISED BECUASE THEY DO NOT WANT THIER CHILD STUCK IN "LIMBO" BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL...NOT BECUASE THEY LOVE GOD OR KNOW THAT SUCH A THING EXISTS. RELIGION BULLIES PEOPLE INTO FAITH BECUASE IT CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. SO MANY VERSES IN THE BIBLE AND QURAN STATE THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FAITH OR YOU SIN YOU WILL GO TO HELL.....ISNT IT FUNNY THAT WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNTIL WE ARE DEAD IF THIS IS CORRECT....NO...ITS STUPIDNESS AND I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE FALLING FOR IT."Religion is not based on fear and faith; stop generalising. Have you heard of something called Buddhism? In Buddhism the main goal is to achieve enlightenment or nirvana through the pursuit of knowledge in doing this you are liberated from the Buddhist "equivalent" of hell "Samsara". The main goal is not to have your spirit migrated into a realm of internal happiness with the creator (Heaven) which is usually the principle similarity of most religions. Also, The Bible and Qurâan do not state that if you sin you will go to hell because no man is without sin, if Christianity and Islam stated that a man who has sinned will go to hell then heaven would be about as empty as the original ideas your trying to put forth in this blog.It is true that a lot of evangelists these days attempt to scare a person into belief.It is better to draw people in with acts of unbelievable love and mercy rather than vengance and death. Blame the scare tactics on the evangelists, but not all churches use them."Isn't it funny that we will never know until we are dead if this is correct, no, it's stupidness and I can't believe people are falling for it"Have you got any gems of knowledge you'd like to impart on where the soul goes after death? Or do you not believe in the soul and think that death is death. There is no escape and then when you die you fall into nothingness. Can you even fathom how depressing that notion of death is? You simply become no more. You have no thought process; you don't even have a mind to have a thought. Youâre gone. ? IS IT NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE "VIRGIN MARY" LIED ABOUT SLEEPING WITH ANOTHER MAN?....I MEAN FEMALES HAVE BEEN LIYING AND GIVING BIRTH TO OTHER MENS BABIES WITHOUT NEITHER PARTIES EVER FINDING OUT FOR GENERATIONS...AND IMMACULATE CONCEPTION JUST MAKES NO SENSE..OH WAIT...LIKE MOST SCRIPTURES RIGHT (WHY ARE THEY FILLED WITH RIDDLES ANYWAY)?This is rich. How can you state at the start of this blog to be open-minded, and then flat out refuse to believe the Immaculate Conception? Because it makes no sense it must not be true right? That's not being opened minded, thatâs just believing in scientific truth only. And scientists aren't exactly the cornerstone of receptiveness to new ideas are they. Yes it is possible that the Virgin Mary lied. It's also possible that she didn't and that she was indeed impregnated by Immaculate Conception. "Why are they filled with riddles anyway"... I can't believe I'm reading some of this honestly.? WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE BELIEVE JESUS PERFORMED "MIRACLES" WHEN AT THAT TIME THE JEWS WERE KNOW FOR THIER ARTS IN MAGIC AND ILLUSIONS?....IS IT NOT POSSIBLE JESUS WAS JUST ANOTHER MAGICIAN.A magician who was subjected to extreme internal wounds through torture, was whipped and flogged with barbed scourges, crucified, and as the coup de grace speared in the ribs (So if by chance the crucifixion and starvation didnât kill him the blood loss would). Then rose from the dead. I'm guessing things like the above were common place with the Jews right. For arguments sake letâs say Jesus was a magician. What did the government of the time have to gain from making an example of him? During the events leading up to the death of Christ, Pontius Pilate the Roman governor of the time condemned the crucifixion of Christ and famously washed his hands declaring the blood of Jesus would not be on his conscious. Although King Herod and Caiaphas publicly mocked him it was the public who wanted him crucified and it was the public who decided his sentence. In the time period of the old and new testaments there were numerous false prophets which is why so many scriptures focus on warnings and state such ominous things as âbeware of the false prophetâ and decree that the false prophet will be comparable with a skilled magician. There are no other documented crucifixions of false prophets (Which is what the Roman government and Jewish / Roman public thought Jesus was) so why did the government make an example out of this âMagicianâ? Conspiracy theory maybe? What was the conspiracy?? THE TEN COMMANDMENTS/ TORAH WERE GIVEN BY MOSES...A MAN WHO WENT TO THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN AND CLAIMED GOD GAVE HIM 2 STONE TABLETS 1 OF WHICH QUOTES " I AM A JEALOUS GOD AND WILL PUNISH CHILDREN FOR THE INIQUITY OF THIER PARENTS"...SO BASICALLY GOD WILL PUNISH CHILDREN FOR CRIMES THEY HAD NO CONTROL OVER....(WHY DO YOU WORSHIP SOMETHING LIKE THAT?) ANYWAYS BACK TO MOSES....IS IT NOT COINCIDENTIAL THAT HE WAS ALONE IN RECIEVEING THESE..MAYBE HE WROTE THEM HIMSELF....WHO REALLY KNOWS...NOT YOU...NOT I.In reference with The Bible; there is a reason it's divided into two parts, an Old and New Testament. The New Testament pretty much cancelled out the harsher teachings of the Old Testament though that does not necessarily mean you can disregard the Old Testament. It just means that the punishments and rules effectively changed, such as punishing children for the sins of their parents. Things are labelled B.C. (Before Christ) and A.C. (After Christ) for a reason you know. Yes, maybe Moses did carve those Ten Commandmentsâ¦. Through the entire width of those rock hard stone tablets, while maintaining perfectly legible hand writing. With the help of what exactly? Was Moses another magician? â....IS IT NOT COINCIDENTIAL THAT HE WAS ALONE IN RECIEVEING THESE..âMoses received the Ten Commandments orally in Mount Sinai awhile before they were put on stone tablets. Of course it wasnât coincidental that Moses was alone. The relationship between Moses and God is described as a very personal one; taking the whole village up or even the âholiestâ of high priests was not an option. âWHO REALLY KNOWS...NOT YOU...NOT I.âNo sh*t Einstein.? WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THE ILLOGICAL?...WHY BELIEVE AN ETERNAL ENTITY WATCHES OVER YOU WHEN YOU SLEEP OR JESUS WAS BORN WITHOUT SEMEN AND NOT THAT JESUS HAD A CHILD OR WAS MARRIED?Why do people believe in the illogical? Do you even know what being open minded is? Why believe an eternal entity watches over you when you sleep? You act like the cornerstone of the entire religion is the knowledge of God watching people sleep. His not a voyeur. Christâs life from the age of eighteen to about thirty or thirty three was not heavily documented or even featured in The Bible I donât think. The suggestion is that after the incident in the temple Jesus practiced carpentry with his father Joseph. There is a reason a synonym for religion is faith. Faith in the things about their chosen deity which are beyond belief or illogical as you put it. It may be wistful thinking, but. If itâs true, the believers will end up going to Paradise or Heaven or achieving Nirvana or [insert religion goal here]. Where will you be going, To your eternal nothingness??PEOPLE FORGET RELIGION WAS MADE IN A TIME THAT THERE WAS NO UNDERSTANDING OF GERMS OR THE WEATHER SYSTEM SO DISEASES AND STORMS WERE BLAMED ON "HIGHER POWERS". So because of their limited knowledge everything that they believed in was just an excuse or false. Well. The greatest minds / scientists of their respective time on earth were convinced the world was flat. Sounds ludicrous now. Sounded like gospel then. Technology proved it incorrect. The idea of immaculate conceptions and eternal entities sounds ludicrous now. Do you know what the future yields?? IS IT NOT A COINCIDENCE THAT THE LAST PROPHET WAS STATED SO MANY YEARS AGO SO NO ONE WILL EVER EXPECT ANYONE/THING WHILE THEY LIVE?....WAS THIS THE END OF THE LIES OR JUST ANOTHER COINCIDENCE?I canât even understand this paragraph to be honest. Itâs pretty incoherent.?REMEMBER ACCORDING TO BELIEF GOD CREATED EVERYTHING!!! SO GOD CREATED EVIL...DEATH..FAMINE...DRUGS....THE DEVIL...ETC (WHAT A CRAZY MIND GOD MUST HAVE EH)Yup, God created everything, crack cocaine, mars bars, Nokiaâs, etc. In the Old Testament God gave man free will. Free will to do what they want. The effects are still being felt today. Godâs original intention was for man to live forever. However because of what took place in the Garden of Eden this had to change. God did not f*cking create famine. Please explain to me how God created famine. This is f*cking stupid. f*ckingâ¦. God created famine. How the f*ck did you come up with that gem?? DID YOU KNOW THE BIBLE / TORAH / QURAN ARE ALL MEANT TO BE TRUE?....AND YET THEY ALL CONTRADICT EACH OTHER, ARE DIFFERENT AND ALL HAVE FACTUAL FALSETIES IN THEM?...BUT THEY ARE THE WORD OF GOD SO DOES THAT MEAN GOD IS WRONG....WELL IT MUST DO BECAUSE 1 IF NOT ALL ARE INCORRECT! ? DID YOU KNOW THE BIBLE / TORAH / QURAN ARE ALL MEANT TO BE TRUE?....I had no idea. I thought they were all meant to be false. The Bible is not supposed to agree with the Torah which is not supposed to agree with the Qurâan. They believe in different Gods. The God of Islam and The God of Christianity = NOT THE SAME GOD. They have their similarities and they have their differences. Moses is referenced in almost every religion. Thereâs a similarity. Not one religion describes him in a way which 100% agrees with the description put forth of him in another religion. Thereâs a difference. Why do you think people looking for a religion have trouble choosing one? Why do you think holy wars exist? âTHEY ARE THE WORD OF GOD SO DOES THAT MEAN GOD IS WRONG....WELL IT MUST DO BECAUSE 1 IF NOT ALL ARE INCORRECT!â THEY ARE NOT THE SAME GODDo me a favour please, close down Wikipedia and google. Go out and purchase the Qurâan and The Bible. Read them yourself and stop recycling the views of others. Open your mind just a bit.

religion is mind control
But I bet you still go church though init?!I stopped in October.I really tried to believe in God, I really really did try. But around October I started thinking outside of the box and realised that I wasted alot of time with that bullshit. Now I'm seriously depressed about it.
Just because u go church it doesn't mean ur religiousi jus go church once in a while buss a quick prayer then kick outf*ck this sh*t about no sex till marriage n sh4it

religion is mind control
But I bet you still go church though init?!I stopped in October.I really tried to believe in God, I really really did try. But around October I started thinking outside of the box and realised that I wasted alot of time with that bullshit. Now I'm seriously depressed about it.
Just because u go church it doesn't mean ur religiousi jus go church once in a while buss a quick prayer then kick outf*ck this sh*t about no sex till marriage n sh4it
I actually went with that thing for a bit LOL, I was propa on this religious ting. Refusing to steal at times, turning the other cheek (not literally) when people tried. But one day I just thought, ''f*ck it'' then I went back to normal, still going to church, but what's the point in going to church when you're not paying attention?! Then October came and I stopped altogether. Now I'm depressed about it.WHY DIDNT I SEE THIS EARLIER biggrin.gif And f*ck prayers too, one thing Christianity encourages is ARROGANCE.For example, people praying in sports. I can understand if you pray for the safety of EVERYONE competing, not just your team, and for a good game, but for you to win? Come on fam

nah i cant stand churchi cant even lieits mainly full of hypocrites
Exactly.Many people forget that preachers ARE f*ckING HUMAN.Especially the Vatican, just full of kiddyfiddlers and mobsters. f*ck the Pope too, put a gun to his head nuffin long
is thsat b4 or after you take his card details?