Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarltonLeach

The freelance footballer

8 posts in this topic

I was just wondering whether there would ever be a time that the freelance footballer came into play.

Imagine a pool of Premier League players who are not assigned to a contract but can be called upon by any manager in the Premier League or Championship on first refusual.

Good idea?

no. if they are good enough they would be tied down to a contract anyway.

Good concept.

But , I can never see it happening.

Hmm interesting.

It would be more like the Carlos Tevez situation, like a season long loan, don't see it working for the short term but if a player is at the end of his contract I guess there is nothing to stop him doing that now.

Not alot of job security though, would need a lot of clauses incase of injury etc...

Also a player gains real value when they have been part of a setup for a while, constantly hopping wouldn't give them time to settle and gel.

Carlos Tevez was basically working of this sort of system,

It could never really happen properly though, due to that ruling about how many different clubs a player can be "signed to" in a certain amount of time.

I was thinking about it after reading about Ledley King.

You know manager who have severe injury problems or suspensions, rather than having to wait to January to spend millions on players they could fill in the holes with the draft pool of freelancers.

This could mean someone playing upto 30 different clubs in a season.

Surely it would be cheaper for a manager to hire a player for the day than tied down in wages, agent fees and transfer costs?

Defeats the point of building a strong squad imo, when you can just fill holes.

Also will hinder chances of other players such as youth, when you know there's a seasoned guy out there why would you risk a young'n?