i also want to do this
what did the trip cost you/where did you stay/how long etc?
i paid to volunteer over there so i was in rio for 6 weeks
stayed in an area called santa teresa, it's not that close to the beach, can walk to flamengo beach in 30 minutes, it's on the mountain/hill and is really hippy/arty/cobbled streets. everyone smokes weed and has dreadlocks and sh*t up there.
i went from like 17th august-30 sep and my flight was 470, but i was just outside of the peak zone. when i was checking prices in july flights at the end of that month/august were over ï¿½800....
i'm going again from around 22 may-13 july and the average flight price is 570, but i've seen some for 470. www.farecompare.com is a good website
Ah you did the paid volunteer thing. I was gonna do that but got put off by the cost. Was it worth it?
Sick, thanks for that.
The volunteering thing I did is now Â£700 but includes accomodation
it's definately worth it, i didnt actually want to leave brazil, i could have easily stayed there for months and months
the good thing with the volunteering is
1) you stay in a house with other volunteers, so you're never alone
2) the volunteering is really fun, and the places/people you can volunteer with is really varied
3) the volunteering i did includes a week of portuguese lessons (20 hours) because people in brazil do not speak english (no one told me this when i arrived, and i was so f*ck*ng unprepared, couldnt even go out by myself because no one could understand me)
4) you dont feel the need to do touristy sh*t everyday. you basically become a brazilian, and just live your life in rio
5) you dont volunteer everyday, everyone did probably 2 afternoons a week lol some just didnt even bother going in to volunteer
6) you get settled and meet loads of other foreigners and local brazilians. everyone is seriously so beyond nice
7) a decent hostel in rio costs $R30-40 a night in the nicer areas (which is where you basically have to stay). Over a month you could spend R$900 (Â£300), which is cheaper than volunteering but then you're in some hostel with a bunch of randoms coming and leaving everyday
been looking to do something like this, lol thought you'd ave to volunteer more time.
what organisation did you use?
Sub Zero : c/s thailand being siick, i spent about 2 months all over the place. went there with very little funds, stayed in hostels Â£2/Â£3 a nite in some cases and food at the local places was just 25/50p no joke, some of the best food ive had tbh. Pictures bring back bare memories, i hated the elephants thou, one tried to chuck me off, while walking on the edge of a cliff.... i jumped stright off