Forbes 2011

Supermalt

Guest Lemons

wot happened to u gettin me tht job brah?

/lemonspromises

I have since parted ways with that company.

Also, I gave your deets to the right people and gave you some shpeel, not my fault bro.

no josiah

he was talking about nigeria being in the same category as china, brazil or india when it comes to developed or developing countries. it may have a similar RATE of devlopment as nemesis points out but the LEVEL of development it has reached is NOWHERE near that of the countries he mentioned.

look, lets say my hypothetical country suddenly found a huge reserve of oil which would run out in 5 months but enabled me to sell 100m barrels. my RATE of growth would be huge but my actual LEVEL of growth would be tiny in comparison to consistent producers with sustainable output.

admitedly i went a bit over the top but this is a forum and i enjoy to debate

no josiah

he was talking about nigeria being in the same category as china, brazil or india when it comes to developed or developing countries. it may have a similar RATE of devlopment as nemesis points out but the LEVEL of development it has reached is NOWHERE near that of the countries he mentioned.

look, lets say my hypothetical country suddenly found a huge reserve of oil which would run out in 5 months but enabled me to sell 100m barrels. my RATE of growth would be huge but my actual LEVEL of growth would be tiny in comparison to consistent producers with sustainable output.

admitedly i went a bit over the top but this is a forum and i enjoy to debate

you're just posting stats from a distance. My dad does business in Nigeria and has been for a while now

have you been to nigeria or are familiar with people who have done business there? they will be the best people to speak about the economy, the last i knew nigeria has paid off its major debts. you are correct its nowhere near china or UK, and brasil, but the stats you're quoting dont reflect the total picture and growth in all industries. i said it has huge similarities to brasil.. because for decades Brasil was a mish mash of corruption and business on a level that has its own unique scale, investors shying away based on the ease of doing business, but all it takes is good management and certain infrastructure in place, but at the same time there are certain industries such as telecoms, the service industry, agriculture, utilities, and technology that are huge growth areas for investors comparable with many OECD countries.

if someone sits on the net looking at stats about investing in nigeria , that person would stay at home. looking at a CIA fact file or a google search about business in nigeria is not going to give you proper facts.

but this is how Singaporean businessmen discribed Nigeria at a recent investment seminar

One of the fastest growing in the world, it is classified under the "Next Eleven" economies, and there is high potential of becoming one of the world's largest economies in the 21st century.

this is probably the main reason why its the emerging markets doing better investing in each other than the older economies. for example vodafone was invited to tender about 8 yrs ago and refused saying it wasnt worth their while, a south african company MTN didnt bother with 'stats' about investing in nigeria and went in, and in 4 years reported a $10bn profit, 70% of which is accounted to Nigeria.

Vodafone UK's recent profit was #1.5bn........ unlucky. Thats the similarity with Brasil, cos it was under the radar of the "traditional" business markets but every market is unique and has their own circumstances and challenges. an investor looks at what CAN be, not what is.

its a case of ttkk really, not looking at stats that dont really apply right now.

• Upvote 2

its true, unless ur in that sphere in naija ur view will be highly distorted

trust me Its development is UP there, its not however, regulated. If it was rid of this tarnish of corruption which to be frank would apply to any other landmass with much people and that much wealth, and also had higher tourist influx it would rival Dubai. No one tell me im chatting rubbish unless they have been to Abuja.

nigeria has 30bn debt

the uk gdp is so much higher than that of nigeria

we have an mpc which sets the interest rate in order to control inflation and keep growth at a sustainable level. if the interest rate was not controlled and the ecnomoy not manipulated so that growth was allowed to occur at a natural level we would be in serious trouble

nigeria has no such policy in place because it's gdp is so low that it aims for the fastest level of growth possible in order for its economy to grow at the fastest rate possible. everything is relative, what is not relative is the cold hard truth of gdp

GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports − imports)

your argument about populations is invalid because a population double the size of the uk should lead to an economy double the size of the uk

it does not and the nigerian economy is in a worse state than that of Poland.

firstly the 30bn debt.....i dont know where you got that figure from because i can remember in august the president wrote to the house of representatives saying nigerias debt was 4billion dollars which he wanted to be increased in 2011 to just over 9 billion and was asking for house approval .....so as far as i am aware of our debt is between 4 - 9 billion

secondly please dont patronize me LOL, just because we may disagree on certain points does not mean I have forgotten my A level economics as to the formula for GDP

Thirdly your last point is wrong......

The Nigerian economy is in a better state than the polish economy because it has a higher growth rate....just like it is in a better state than the US or UK economies

If you were to say that Polish economy was bigger then of course you would be correct..

I have not been to India so but I do agree with you that you cannot compare in terms of size as their GDP dwarfs ours....However in terms of our current growth as long as the government doesnt f*ck up all commentators agree that within 20 years nigeria will be in the top ten biggest economies.....

Nigeria is looking like crane city in Dubai right now.... development is everywhere and remember this is during a time of worldwide recession, we too had our own banking crises

The big "IF" is of course the government.......thankfully the few remaining sectors they are in charge of are on the way to becoming privatised because they dont know how to run sh*t......... if we can have a stable and halfway decent government then we will get there