97-02 RnB Appreciation Topic

Numero001

When RnB wasnt generic and had the effortless club bangers without having to try to be too HipHop and it was just nice vibey records. Bunch of creatve artists came out, a lot of one-hit-wonders but damn the one-hits were near-classics not here-today-gone-tomorrow.Donell Jones feat. Styles P - Put Me DownNext - WifeyRuff Endz - No MoreSlow Jams were kicking, quite possibly, as hard as ever. Usher - Nice and SlowMale and Female groups were about in abundance. Girl power was in full-effect with ladies not being submissive and female-empowerment 702 - Where My Girls AtDestiny's Child - Get On The BusOr situations that were commonly accepted for men but a still taboo for women such as one-night-stands, talking about cheating on their menXscape - My Little SecretCouldnt get the official vid for this, but tune had to be mentionedDisclaimer: Just a few examples. Dont get it twisted though, Donell was used as effortless club banger. Could have chosen more obvious songs but I chose to avoid them in favour of maybe forgotten ones in most cases. Plus, I have to leave the obvious ones for othersProceed to reminisce. If any songs remind you of a certain time, place or somebody, share that

Lucy Pearl- Don't mess with my manDe La Soul- All GoodAaliyah- One in a millionCase- Touch me tease meTevin Campbell- Can we talk (i'm aware it came out in 1993 but still)Dru Hill- How deep is your loveDru Hill- I should BeSunshine Anderson- Heard it all beforeKandi- Dont think im not702- SteeloJon B- They dont know (BIG, BIG, BIG, BIG, BIG TUNE)

Guest mattthernbsinger
lol @ no boyz 2 men, 112, shai, silk or jodeci.
Boyz II Men, Shai, Silk & Jodeci in 1997?
ofcourse.you want me to name every song they recorded in them years fam?

Guest Mickey Kane
lol @ no boyz 2 men, 112, shai, silk or jodeci.
Boyz II Men, Shai, Silk & Jodeci in 1997?
ofcourse.you want me to name every song they recorded in them years fam?
What bangers they drop from 1997 onwards?

Guest mattthernbsinger

loooooooooooooool112 : anywhere, peaches and cream, its over now, dance with meboyz 2 men : 4 Seasons of Loneliness, pass you by, roll wit meshai : if i spend the night, destinysilk : Tonight, More, We're Callin' You, Secret Garden.jodeci : get on up

Disclaimer: Just a few examples. Dont get it twisted though, Donell was used as effortless club banger. Could have chosen more obvious songs but I chose to avoid them in favour of maybe forgotten ones in most cases. Plus, I have to leave the obvious ones for othersProceed to reminisce. If any songs remind you of a certain time, place or somebody, share that
In case you never saw it the first time aroundOnly TLC songs that would have made the time is No Scrubs and/ or Unpretty. Dont go on like they ran that period. CSC came out in about '94 Fanmail was the only album to come out in that periodEveryone popped down apart from 112 before '97. K-Ci and JoJo released All My Life in '97 I think so I know Jodeci werent about. Silk were arounnd 94-96 times if I remember correctly. Boyz II Men had label problems and their last smash was One Sweet Day which I think was actually Mariah's song. These times was about Dru Hill, 112, JE and Blackstreet were still about in the early days.You man need to check your dates 'cause your chatting sh*t like its factual. If your gonna try and find faults 1. Read the opening post2. Check your facts before you speak. Remember that from Primary School?

Guest mattthernbsinger

wikipedia fam.and jodeci were finished early 97. but still its still tunes that popped even if they were good or bad.boyz 2 men still survived there label problems.they only thing i got wrong was secret garden from silk.

Brejin, f*ck off outta the thread, beg yuh do!They may have been around but did they drop any songs that people knew in that time? And why you only say Jodeci? You realised you was wrong about the rest? Jodeci's last big tune dropped in '95 or 96

Guest mattthernbsinger

GO ON WIKPEDIA trying to tell me i dont know about rnb.tut tut.its an apprecation thread of songs that remind of of them years and everytime themgroups dropped a single i was on it.WIKPEDIA is you fam.

[edit] Singles1991: "Gotta Love" (R&B #79) 1991: "Stay" (US #41, R&B #1) 1991: "Forever My Lady" (US #25, R&B #1) 1992: "Come and Talk to Me" (US #11, R&B #1) 1992: "I'm Still Waiting" (Radio Single ONLY) (US #85, R&B #10) 1992: "Let's Go Through The Motions" (US #65, R&B #31) 1993: "Lately" (US #4, R&B #1) 1993: "Cry for You" (US #15, R&B #1) 1994: "Feenin'" (US #25, R&B #2) 1994: "What About Us" (R&B #14) 1995: "Freek'n You" (US #14, R&B #3 1995: "Love U 4 Life" (US #31, R&B #8) 1996: "Get On Up" (US #22, R&B #4) 2001: "Slip N Fall" [ K-Ci and JoJo "X" ] Now which big tunes did they drop in 97-02 please? How can I be using my head, your using wiki and your still wrong? This isnt even my genre

Guest Mickey Kane
Disclaimer: Just a few examples. Dont get it twisted though, Donell was used as effortless club banger. Could have chosen more obvious songs but I chose to avoid them in favour of maybe forgotten ones in most cases. Plus, I have to leave the obvious ones for othersProceed to reminisce. If any songs remind you of a certain time, place or somebody, share that
In case you never saw it the first time aroundOnly TLC songs that would have made the time is No Scrubs and/ or Unpretty. Dont go on like they ran that period. CSC came out in about '94 Fanmail was the only album to come out in that periodEveryone popped down apart from 112 before '97. K-Ci and JoJo released All My Life in '97 I think so I know Jodeci werent about. Silk were arounnd 94-96 times if I remember correctly. Boyz II Men had label problems and their last smash was One Sweet Day which I think was actually Mariah's song. These times was about Dru Hill, 112, JE and Blackstreet were still about in the early days.You man need to check your dates 'cause your chatting sh*t like its factual. If your gonna try and find faults 1. Read the opening post2. Check your facts before you speak. Remember that from Primary School?
Did I say TLC ran tings them times?It's a matter of fact, that they had BEASTS with No Scrubs & Unpretty and if TLC didn't run tings, them 2 songs certainly did...

Did I say TLC ran tings them times?It's a matter of fact, that they had BEASTS with No Scrubs & Unpretty and if TLC didn't run tings, them 2 songs certainly did...
Well the statement "LMAO @ no TLC..." gave the impression of "How can you not mention TLC. Granted them two were monsters but if you'da said LMAO @ no Sisqo/ JE/ 112 etc. then I would have said yeah your right but check the disclaimer

Guest mattthernbsinger

i tld you already get on up was still in the charts in 97.lol u checked the other on wikpedia didnt you and found out i was right lol.but i give u props for researching though thats what u mods gota do.

i tld you already get on up was still in the charts in 97.lol u checked the other on wikpedia didnt you and found out i was right lol.but i give u props for researching though thats what u mods gota do.
Clutching straws there.Checked what others out? I know none of them were about. I think Boyz II Men had one single that went plat, I played it and dont even remember it.The rest were not in 97.Same thing I said to Mickey, you said them like "How could you not mention them" when they were all in decline and best years creatively and commercial success were past them

112 - It's Over Now112 - Sweet loveCarl Thomas - I WishGinuwine - So AnxiousGinuwine - DifferencesMyron - We Can Get DownAmerie - Why don't we fall in loveMarc Nelson - 15 MinutesKelly Price - Love Sets You Free = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BdO_3SZmuA (can't embed)Chico DeBarge - Playa Hater = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm_2Gd5denQ (can't embed)

Shouldve been a 90's + appreciation thread sad.gifbut anywayWas alot of big r'n'b tracks in this periodBrandy Ft Monica - The boy is mineAaliyah - Are You That Somebody? / We need a resolutionAll Saints - Bootie Call [yeah you know this tune was sick]Erykah Badu - On And On / Bag LadyFaith Evans ft Puff Daddy - All Night LongImajin - Flava / Shorty (You Keep Playin' With My Mind)

Shouldve been a 90's + appreciation thread sad.gif
Didnt want it to be confused with the Hip Hop 'n' B stage when Mary buss and SWV and TLC were making tunes. 97-02 was back to RnB again with them groovy club tunes likeIts was just more melodic without the hard-hitting drums. Not knocking that old stuff 'cause it was sick, but my playlist has been dominated by this period. This is the time when Timbaland buss, Rodney Jerkins buss and Neps started to dominate near the end.