FAO: Football Manager 08 Server hosting needing people

Guest Swiftie

Guest Swiftie

This whole FM server ting.....Discuss quickly in here. Got a 2K3 server goin live 2moz (crossing fingers) on a 2.5 meg ^Set out the fundamentals and we'll see what's good. Even if you get half.. 1.3meg out of it.. That good enough for you or you needing more?

Basically, we just need a remote computer thats on all the time to host the game.Not sure on the speeds needed, but 10mb+ seems to be fast enough to host the game, which is like 100kb/s upload speed so 1.3mb/s should be enough.The thing is though, the host usually needs to actually press something to host the game, or set rules (such as time limits) could that be done externally?

BasicallyFM is run where by a person from VIP2 loads up the game data etc and becomes the host for other people to joinThe game has to be run via a computer so the other players can connectIt cant play directly off the serverSo the server owner will have to keep FM loaded on their own computer so the game can process

Guest Swiftie
Basically, we just need a remote computer thats on all the time to host the game.Not sure on the speeds needed, but 10mb+ seems to be fast enough to host the game, which is like 100kb/s upload speed so 1.3mb/s should be enough.The thing is though, the host usually needs to actually press something to host the game, or set rules (such as time limits) could that be done externally?
Possible *minor*
BasicallyFM is run where by a person from VIP2 loads up the game data etc and becomes the host for other people to joinThe game has to be run via a computer so the other players can connectIt cant play directly off the serverSo the server owner will have to keep FM loaded on their own computer so the game can process
And possible.. (actually I knew this part) just wondered wether the speed will be sufficient.

Guest David Braund

it cant run on server software tho, i dnt think XP n Vista n i think OSXso my plan was makin a comp from bits i dnt use due to upgrades n playin that online through the hardware firewall n thatthen get JJ to access it through remote desktop so he can setup the matchesthen all users connect normally, ill have to get an separate IP address for the box itselfn then BANGwasnt as hard as i thoughti shud kick start doin this IT consultation for a living tbh

Guest Swiftie
it cant run on server software tho, i dnt think XP n Vista n i think OSXso my plan was makin a comp from bits i dnt use due to upgrades n playin that online through the hardware firewall n thatthen get JJ to access it through remote desktop so he can setup the matchesthen all users connect normally, ill have to get an separate IP address for the box itselfn then BANGwasnt as hard as i thoughti shud kick start doin this IT consultation for a living tbh
But XP, Vista and OSX are not Server OS's.... :blink: Oh did you mean it can't run on server OS's but will run on "Blah Blah Blah"Also havent tested the install on a server enviroment so wouldn't know.. But has anyone?& JJ as for maintance it depends.. Let me get my side sorted 1st.. Then see if it will play ball. (no pun)

Guest David Braund

yea what i mean itll work on the "home" versions kinda thing, XP, Vista OSX. but not Server 2003 onwards, OS Server or any of the linux flavourscoz what we need to do is install the game on the computer that will act as the server for the game, n jus have that live on the net (firewalled of course)then JJ links into it with remote desktop sets up the match n then everyone eles connectsi checked the server optionbut it wnt install on server OSso we need sutin like XP or Vistaalso, y aint u gettin server 2008? meant 2 b some nice improvements

Guest Swiftie
yea what i mean itll work on the "home" versions kinda thing, XP, Vista OSX. but not Server 2003 onwards, OS Server or any of the linux flavourscoz what we need to do is install the game on the computer that will act as the server for the game, n jus have that live on the net (firewalled of course)then JJ links into it with remote desktop sets up the match n then everyone eles connectsi checked the server optionbut it wnt install on server OSso we need sutin like XP or Vistaalso, y aint u gettin server 2008? meant 2 b some nice improvements
Got plenty of 64bit 08's flying around with silly amounts of ram... This 03 is simply for something else... So I thought why not add this... (hopefully)Also durts, installing it with compatibility mode set to "Windows XP" ;)

Guest Swiftie
u can only run server specific programs on servers init?like a program written for XP wont work on server 2008 or some sh*t will it?
Not necessarily. It depends on the app. As I'm thinking of sticking it on a 03 box.In this case, all one will need to do is set the .EXE to install in "Windows XP" compatibility mode and it will install and run with no issues.

Guest David Braund
u can only run server specific programs on servers init?like a program written for XP wont work on server 2008 or some sh*t will it?
Not necessarily. It depends on the app. As I'm thinking of sticking it on a 03 box.In this case, all one will need to do is set the .EXE to install in "Windows XP" compatibility mode and it will install and run with no issues.
yea that shud work still, didnt know about compatibility mode.what about the remote desktop side of things, coz the way the program is.. is u gotta start up the game, the start a network game at the serverso the host will need to more or less hav full functionality on that with RDwhats y i was suggesting an empty box thats dedicated to FM without anyweb stuff which obv u dnt want us accessing.unless u can virtualise a part of or sutin like we discussed b4 then make that part the FM link n setup RD for that n sh*t

Guest Swiftie
yea that shud work still, didnt know about compatibility mode.what about the remote desktop side of things, coz the way the program is.. is u gotta start up the game, the start a network game at the serverso the host will need to more or less hav full functionality on that with RDwhats y i was suggesting an empty box thats dedicated to FM without anyweb stuff which obv u dnt want us accessing.unless u can virtualise a part of or sutin like we discussed b4 then make that part the FM link n setup RD for that n sh*t
Separate box can do.. or what I was thinking about setting up an account with limitations of access of certain dir's.So when some one either VPN's or RDP's they only see what that user is allowed to see."if someone wants to dedicate a tower however feel free" So then its your own BOX and you have full access to do whatever.

Guest David Braund
Separate box can do.. or what I was thinking about setting up an account with limitations of access of certain dir's.So when some one either VPN's or RDP's they only see what that user is allowed to see."if someone wants to dedicate a tower however feel free" So then its your own BOX and you have full access to do whatever.
u doin it at home or rentin a ded. server?anyone (well not anyone, but anyone we choose) will hostso far at the mo it JJ, he's get RDP access tot he system then run the game n set the serverthen everyone else joins