Practically Cut off from the World

Mr. Gayle

well for starters non air breathing propulsion which wouldnt get damaged by the ash in the air?

they could easily develop rocket based propulsion from commercial use, its just that it probably wouldnt be economically viable.

then theres all the stuff thats still in research which could sway to atmospheric propulsive use, i.e. electromagnetic propulsion, etc

then theres all the kind of stuff thats on the front of modern physics and hasnt/cant be implemented to engineering applications. (nuclear, antimatter, superconducter associated propulsion).

Since I'm almost a qualified Aerospace Engineer, Nuclear power isn't a good thing when it comes to flying, antimatter is basically thermonuclear energy and crack (but they are super hard to collect) and super conducter isn't plausible for flying at the moment. Using electroomagnetism propulsion is in initial development, but it will be a very, VERY long time where it could be useful, but I'm talking hundreds of years.

i dont reckon it will take that long tbh. all we need is to find more efficient ways of extracting the electric power and equipment that can provide more power. a flexible enough superconductor would change the way electricity and magnetism is generated dramatically. electro magnetic propulsion today is only really viable in space because of the vacuum like conditions required, but it just takes someone with a bit of inginuity to make it more appropriate for atmospheric flight. its all a bit speculative at the moment so its all just ideas and research for now, but i reckon theres a lot of untapped potential there.

/

on a different note, are you doing a BEng or an MEng? and whats your plans after graduation, where you looking to/going to work?

/

the reason why i mentioned advanced prop in the first place is cos thats one of my modules that i got an exam on next week. im doing aero aswell. :Y:

on a side note, if you really wanna get onto some of the borderline science fantasy/fiction of propulsion, whether to just consider the limits of possibility or to stir your imagination, watch this clip. this guy trys to present some kind of advanced physics arguement about gravitational-magnetic coupling forces with a few other things thrown in.

disclaimer: im not in anyway saying whether this video is factual or not (i dont know tbh), just take it with a pinch of salt.

well for starters non air breathing propulsion which wouldnt get damaged by the ash in the air?

they could easily develop rocket based propulsion from commercial use, its just that it probably wouldnt be economically viable.

then theres all the stuff thats still in research which could sway to atmospheric propulsive use, i.e. electromagnetic propulsion, etc

then theres all the kind of stuff thats on the front of modern physics and hasnt/cant be implemented to engineering applications. (nuclear, antimatter, superconducter associated propulsion).

Since I'm almost a qualified Aerospace Engineer, Nuclear power isn't a good thing when it comes to flying, antimatter is basically thermonuclear energy and crack (but they are super hard to collect) and super conducter isn't plausible for flying at the moment. Using electroomagnetism propulsion is in initial development, but it will be a very, VERY long time where it could be useful, but I'm talking hundreds of years.

i dont reckon it will take that long tbh. all we need is to find more efficient ways of extracting the electric power and equipment that can provide more power. a flexible enough superconductor would change the way electricity and magnetism is generated dramatically. electro magnetic propulsion today is only really viable in space because of the vacuum like conditions required, but it just takes someone with a bit of inginuity to make it more appropriate for atmospheric flight. its all a bit speculative at the moment so its all just ideas and research for now, but i reckon theres a lot of untapped potential there.

/

on a different note, are you doing a BEng or an MEng? and whats your plans after graduation, where you looking to/going to work?

/

the reason why i mentioned advanced prop in the first place is cos thats one of my modules that i got an exam on next week. im doing aero aswell. :Y:

BEng, f*ck doing a MEng, it's not recognised by quite a lot of countries. Might do an Msc afterwards so I can have two degrees with the same aerospace engineering title, but that's if I'm bothered or not.

/

I have no idea. I would like something where I get to use a certain engineering design software or windtunnel testing because they are fun compared to everything else tbh.

What year you in and where you doing it at? You get ratings for not being and average Joel from here tbh.

If you are doing BEng & want to do MEng masters, it's up to you but I would recommend doing a MSc as it is recognised everywhere + you technically have 2 degrees.

Nah the advanced prop is basically an unducted turbofan.

on a side note, if you really wanna get onto some of the borderline science fantasy/fiction of propulsion, whether to just consider the limits of possibility or to stir your imagination, watch this clip. this guy trys to present some kind of advanced physics arguement about gravitational-magnetic coupling forces with a few other things thrown in.

disclaimer: im not in anyway saying whether this video is factual or not (i dont know tbh), just take it with a pinch of salt.

Probably true. I do feel they have technology like this, or even taken from alien crafts.

BEng, f*ck doing a MEng, it's not recognised by quite a lot of countries. Might do an Msc afterwards so I can have two degrees with the same aerospace engineering title, but that's if I'm bothered or not.

/

I have no idea. I would like something where I get to use a certain engineering design software or windtunnel testing because they are fun compared to everything else tbh.

What year you in and where you doing it at? You get ratings for not being and average Joel from here tbh.

If you are doing BEng & want to do MEng masters, it's up to you but I would recommend doing a MSc as it is recognised everywhere + you technically have 2 degrees.

Nah the advanced prop is basically an unducted turbofan.

im doin an MEng in my 3rd year at imperial. i could have opted to change to a BEng and finish this year, but not much point if im gonna do an MSc, would only be worth it if i wanted to do a masters in something else like finance etc. besides the MSc guys in my department do a lot of the same stuff as me, they just had to work harder to get to that position.

so your in your final year? have you not been applying for graduate schemes? did you get any intern or work experience while you was at uni?

who told you MEng isn't as recognised?

Lectures. It's only in this country mostly, most other countries don't care about that. But MSc is.

im not looking to make a start in another country though, im gonna work in this country first (if i go into the industry). if i decide to work in a different country it will be after some good experience and im sure that would count for much more than the difference between an MEng and an MSc.

right now though im more leaning towards getting into investment banking. its mad competitive and the banking sector is still recovering but if i can land a decent position im sure i could work up to where i wanna get to over time. the prospects are good.

who told you MEng isn't as recognised?

Lectures. It's only in this country mostly, most other countries don't care about that. But MSc is.

im not looking to make a start in another country though, im gonna work in this country first (if i go into the industry). if i decide to work in a different country it will be after some good experience and im sure that would count for much more than the difference between an MEng and an MSc.

right now though im more leaning towards getting into investment banking. its mad competitive and the banking sector is still recovering but if i can land a decent position im sure i could work up to where i wanna get to over time. the prospects are good.

Banking sector love engineers due to maths.

Dubby, a lot of countries wont recognise the MEng, weird though! Yeah the MSc's dohalf the same as the MEng. I don't know,

/

Yeah in final year, this year & previous year were made hard tbh, this year only due to time keeping and the amount of work (we had a group project, to design a water bomber, I done the performance & propulsion, which took SO MUCH calculations to do and sh*t) & Final year project. Nah I didn't do placement or anything.

Seen bare heads on my course get merked by lecturers in presentations on some next level, I back up my sh*t B)

Did you have to do fourier series in your second year? What's your final year project on?

i did fourier series last year ye.

i got a group project this year after exams; theres 3 different projects (large airliner, human powered aircraft and a "green" race car), ive got to hand in my selection sheet on monday to decide what im going to do. im leaning towards propulsion or maybe flight mechanics and stability because i did that in a aero vehicle design module group cwk earlier this year.

as for final year project, im not sure yet. ive got to see the full list of projects available in autumn term. i was thinking of doing my own project on morphing wings because that sounds like an interesting topic but it sounds like a hell of a lot of work and making your own project means there may not be any limits on whats possible to do. ive got the choice to do the project in my department, in industry or abroad; im probably gonna choose to work in the department because theres a wider area of project work and generally more projects available and more support generally etc. its just less hassle basically.

lol 6 months, ive got 4 weeks. they work us like dogs.

engineering degrees are hard work and time consuming, gotta have the drive and the work ethic to preform well. part of the reason why investment banks like engineering grads is because they are conditioned for large and intense work loads and get used to the environment quicker.