Panorama: Are the Net Police Coming for You?

Mr. Gayle

Not really its a music business so from a business point of view, not irrelevant at all. Obviously this arguments spirals into many different segments of the indutstry which you could debate for hours, but fact is producing an album costs money. From videos, ads, etc... & the aim is to recoup and profit.

Not really its a music business so from a business point of view, no irrelevant at all. Obviously this arguments spirals into many different segments of the indutstry which you could debate for hours, but fact is producing an album costs money. From videos, ads, etc... & the aim is to recoup and profit.

Yep

Besides I think its different when we are talking about a unsigned artist as opposed to a independent artist, like I said. The labels tell you that illegal downloading effects the chances of them signing new acts as they have to invest too much money on "risks", but they rarely take a act without some form of finanical investment already invested into them anyway now, and illegal downloads is half the reason all artists are signed to 360 deals. So its a bit rich that after taking from the artist due to consumer changes, that they still wanna dictate to the consumers afterwards.

Not really its a music business so from a business point of view, not irrelevant at all. Obviously this arguments spirals into many different segments of the indutstry which you could debate for hours, but fact is producing an album costs money. From videos, ads, etc... & the aim is to recoup and profit.

Celebrities use the media to make money yet complain when they can't get them to go away. The arguments are the same. It's quite clear I disagree with them on principle, not economics. Please stop acting like you can't see that.

Celebrities use the media to make money yet complain when they can't get them to go away. The arguments are the same. It's quite clear I disagree with them on principle, not economics. Please stop acting like you can't see that.

The arguments aren't the same. Nor is the principle imo. Celebrities invite people into their private lives, i.e weddings, child birth, reality programmes, and are PAID to do so, then think they can switch that interest off when they arent controlling it. The trade for their private life was your money.

An artist giving away his material to attain a buzz, then expecting you to pay for the album/come to the show inreturn is the trade, thats why they gave you the music in the first place. They are giving you something for free in the first instance, a celebrity isn't, they taking.

The arguments aren't the same. Nor is the principle. Celebrities invite people into their private lives, i.e weddings, child birth, reality programmes, and are PAID to do so, then think they can switch that interest off.

An artist giving away his material to attain a buzz, then expecting you to pay for the album, come to the show, inreturn is the trade. They are giving you something for free in the first instance, a celebrity isn't.

Yeah coz the artist is putting the music online out of the goodness of their heart aren't they! Just because they're not getting cash in hand doesn't mean it's not a money-making scheme. They want everyone buying their albums and coming to their shows. Either you're trying to oversimplify for the benefit of your argument or you really can't see it. I find it hard to believe you really can't see it.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that they can't be upset when they're music gets bootlegged. Everybody is entitled to their own emotions... They just need to know they're part of the reason it's happening. When the people that listen to you are the kind of people that found your music to download from a forum or blogspot then they're going to continue to download your music from these sources... Even when you don't want them to anymore. But the artists don't think like this. They act as if they're just innocent victims.

Who tells you to find artist X on so and so forum? Not the artist.

Most artists produce a mixtape and dont get paid from it, yet still consider it a product intended for sale. Do they mind as much when said product gets them into homes around the World, I guess not, because the DJ or their team arent able to distribute it worldwide and they resigned themselves from the off that they wasnt going to get paid, and thats just technology in 2010. The difference is with a album the label can distribute it worldwide, your success hangs on sales, and you make a album to get paid...

Personally this free download thing from the off is a UK artist mentality more than a US one tbh.

I just realised your making me argue way too much for the other side.

If a chick sells sex, your wouldnt say, she is part of the reason she gets raped would you?

She was selling first. If a chick was sleeping with a guy for free and one day told him he had to pay her to f*ck her then tbh I probably would say it's a bit her fault.

In the post above you're saying that artists don't hand out the free downloads they want to get paid for them. I'm talking about mixtapes that they don't expect to get paid from. I'm also talking mainly about established artists letting build-up mixtapes get put out and then complaining when the album isn't purchased.

Guest Esquilax

yh i know lol

labels see these naive money-hungry 1s comin a mile off

then proceed 2 mash and dash 'em

They'll only drop the act if there's nothing more to be made of them, if they can't make any more money out of them, or if the amount they spend on promotion and marketing vastly outweights the net profit they're making with album sales and such

yh i know lol

labels see these naive money-hungry 1s comin a mile off

then proceed 2 mash and dash 'em

They'll only drop the act if there's nothing more to be made of them, if they can't make any more money out of them, or if the amount they spend on promotion and marketing vastly outweights the net profit they're making with album sales and such

Obviously lol

dnt know why u dropped that as if you were telling me something profound and insightful

dunno why you think Chipmunk and Tinchy aren't making decent amounts

im sure the percentage they get is pitiful

so in comparson to the money they are generating they will be getting peanuts

i'm sure TF can tell u that the deals alot of these guys sign are just ridiculous

I just realised your making me argue way too much for the other side.

If a chick sells sex, your wouldnt say, she is part of the reason she gets raped would you?

She was selling first. If a chick was sleeping with a guy for free and one day told him he had to pay her to f*ck her then tbh I probably would say it's a bit her fault.

In the post above you're saying that artists don't hand out the free downloads they want to get paid for them. I'm talking about mixtapes that they don't expect to get paid from. I'm also talking mainly about established artists letting build-up mixtapes get put out and then complaining when the album isn't purchased.

Lol, your f*cked.

dunno why you think Chipmunk and Tinchy aren't making decent amounts

im sure the percentage they get is pitiful

so in comparson to the money they are generating they will be getting peanuts

i'm sure TF can tell u that the deals alot of these guys sign are just ridiculous

In the bigger picture. Basically yeah.

But then when you think about it 100g isn't peanuts, but then you think someone might have made 600g for you to get your 100, then yeah.