World Cup Bids 2018-2022

MrJibbles

Guest TimeBomb

Qatar 11,586 km²

Falkland Islands 12,173 km²

Wales 20,779 km²

England 130,395 km²

Russia 17,098,242 km²

Here's a good fact. Qatar will build nine air-conditioned super stadiums within a 20 mile radius. Think about it. In a distance of Preston to Blackpool nine stadiums. And when the World Cup is over, they will lie there for eternity, unused and uncared for. That's the legacy that won Qatar 13 votes.

qatar will make a great host, the gulf states know how to put on a show, as for the stadiums they will surely go to use after the tournament, regional tournaments, international tournaments, european teams playing exhibitions, plus their own league which im sure they will also pump money into.

Guest TimeBomb

surely they can't stick to that anti-israeli thing?

UAE withdrew from next years ice hockey world championships cos they had a game against israel, still theres a long time till qatar and things in the world can change.

Also I been Eastern Europe, I know blacks willl definitely catch a wicked beating. When I am in Szczecin (Poland) seeing some of the foulest sh*t and man are telling me you think this bad dont you dare go anymore East, I know what it is.

Your right about Poland still i went there on a history trip with students in my class, we got racial abuse but saying that if i took you to certain parts of New Eltham and Welling on a Saturday night you would probably get racial abuse as well, at least i didn't get eggs thrown at me like i did when i last went Bexley.

Russia is an incredibly diverse country, in terms of ethnic groups. Much more so than the UK. Poland is not. The situation isn't the same. But the bottom line is, if you visit Moscow and St. Petersburg and stay in the centre and do the tourist route you are unlikely to have difficulties based on the colour of your skin, except maybe some police hassle or not geting into nightclubs and even that probably won't be happening during the WC. If you decide to go to a smaller city, or a poverty-ridden slum in Moscow then yes, you're going to have a problem. Like I said before, some of you are making far too big a deal out of this "racism" on the basis of wathcing a couple of videos about football hooliganism. Thousands of non-white tourists visit Russia every year, most of them come back alive (joke). Also, Moscow is not a safe city full stop. It's not just black people who might have a bad experience so just if a black English guy gets f*cked about by the police it's just as likely because they know they can extort him because he doesn't know how the system works and can't speak a word of Russian as much as him being black.

I was in Poland, and Russians was telling me this, cos we was gonna go onto Moscow and they not no d*ckhead Russians. Lol, that Police hassle will beat the black of you. Like I said I seen enough. I seen man do nothing and get it, and I seen the reaction when niggas is running around with their blonde chicks. "satan, satan, satan" (Kanye West voice)

Russia's football authorities, who will host the 2018 World Cup, have ignored a surge in race-related incidents around the sport, according to campaigners.

Their warnings come amid a rise in racist murders and neo-Nazi activity in the country that could deter thousands of non-white football fans from attending the tournament.

Rafal Pankowski, who monitors racist activity at Russian football matches with the backing of the European football body Uefa, accused the Russian Football Union of downplaying racist chants and far-right activity in its stadiums.

"There is hardly any acknowledgement of racism either inside or outside the grounds by the government and football authorities in Russia, and there is a pattern of denial when the problem is raised.

"Nazi slogans are common in many Russian stadiums. Matches are often interrupted with racist chants aimed at black players," he said.

"I have been in Moscow this week and seen it for myself. There is racist graffiti in the streets. Major bookshops openly sell racist literature. The hate-crime rate is high. Black people are often beaten up by skinhead gangs," he added.

Two weeks ago, supporters of Spartak Moscow abused black players from Olympique Marseille with so-called monkey chants during a Champions League match.

In August, Russian fans abused the striker Peter Odemwingie days after he left Lokomotiv Moscow to join West Bromwich Albion with a banner bearing a cartoon banana and the words "Thanks West Brom".

Russian officials tried to brush off criticism over the banner. A spokesman for the Russian embassy in London told a British newspaper: "We don't see any reasons to dramatise this, since in Russian student slang 'to get a banana' means to fail a test, and Odemwingie was seen by fans in Moscow as not perhaps the best performer."

What was once seen as largely a problem in club games now also influences international matches. During Russia's Euro 2010 qualifier against Andorra in September, a sizeable section of the Russian fans chanted "A tutti! Avanti! Benito Mussolini!" – widely seen as an endorsement of Italian fascism.

Pankowski, head of the newly launched East European Monitoring Centre, which is funded by Uefa, said the World Cup could be used to foster change among fans in Russia.

"It could be a catalyst for some positive change. I think they will have to respond by building a new culture around football. They have eight years," he said.

Russia has some of the highest hate crime figures in the world. Statistics from the monitoring centre show that 80 people were murdered last year and another 411 wounded. Most of these attacks were racist incidents.

More than 150 far-right groups with an ideology of racial, ethnic and religious intolerance are currently active in Russia, according to the interior ministry.

Attacks against foreigners have increased in recent years and are often committed by skinheads. They usually target people from the Caucasus and ex-Soviet republics in central Asia, as well as Asians and Africans.

One Russian nationalist was sentenced to life in prison in October for committing 15 racist murders.

Vassily Krivets, 22, and an accomplice had organised a group in 2007 to commit racist murders in Moscow and its suburbs. The victims came from Tadjikistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and Turkey, prosecutors said.

Piara Powar, director of football's anti-racism campaign Kick It Out, said racism was still the norm at Russian football matches but predicted that the World Cup would force a radical change on Russia's terraces.

"I think that Russia could change very quickly and eradicate much of its overt racism by 2018. We have to remember that there are many people from different cultures in Russia, including a large Muslim population and a Chinese community, and that most Russians are not racist. The government and the Russian footballing authorities have an opportunity to educate fans," he said.

England missed out on the right to host the 2018 World Cup after football's governing body Fifa picked Russia to stage the event for the first time. Russia beat England, Spain-Portugal and Holland-Belgium yesterday to win a ballot of Fifa's 22 executive members in Zurich.

Russia won 13 of the 22 votes in round two of the voting to achieve an absolute majority.

Alexei Sorokin, the chief executive of Russia's bid team, who enraged England by saying that London had a high crime rate and a problem with youth alcoholism, has conceded that racism is a problem in Russia but plays down how much influence it could have over a World Cup tournament.

"Racism is a general not a Russian problem," he told a newspaper last week. "It is a problem that has arisen in all footballing countries at one time or another, including in England."

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Qatar is located on a peninsula jutting out from Eastern Saudi Arabia.

The country is one of the wealthiest in the world (due to oil reserves mainly) and boasts a great infrastructure, low crime rate, good weather in the spring and winter, and a great hospitable culture.

Overall, Qatar is a great place to visit, though it is generally not open to those on a limited budget.

The main city is Doha, a small but highly contemporary city with great restaurants, hotels, and other amenities.

There are several islands near Qatar that are interesting to take trips to for the day or camp overnight on.

There are great small cities and towns all over the country that need to be explored. Desert camping and 4x4 is also very common and enjoyable.

Weather & Climate

The weather in Qatar is unbearably hot during the summer months, and amazingly pleasant from about October to March. Most people escape the cold weather back home to visit during these times and find 80 degree F weather daily without a cloud in the sky.

There is very little rain throughout the year.

Religion

Religion plays a prominent role in Qatari life and society. Most Qataris are of the Wahabi sect of Islam. The call to prayer is heard five times a day throughout the country and during Ramadan most businesses are closed during the day.

Qatar is somewhat of a liberal country, compared to others in the region, and clothing styles of Westerners usually aren't a problem.

Language

Arabic is the official language though most everyone speaks some amount of English.

Clothing

Dress conservatively, no shorts for men or women and no revealing clothing.

Visas

Visit visas are issued on arrival to passport holders from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. These visas cost a small fee.

Israeli stamps in your passport will result in the denial of your entrance to the country.

Driving

Driving is fairly safe throughout the country. Roads are in great conditions.

Qatari drivers tend to tailgate and flash their lights, this means move over, but it isn't a threatening gesture like it would be in the US.

In the desert or off-roading make sure and carry plenty of supplies and use only a 4 wheel drive. Never rev your wheels if you are stuck in the sand as this will dig you deeper and deeper until you strike oil.

Drugs & Alcohol

Alcohol is available in bars in hotels only. Bar entrances are usually monitored to prevent unwanted guests.

There is a liquor store only for guest workers in the country with proper documentation.

Illegal drug use is dealt with very harshly and should be avoided at all costs.

Money

Qatar's currency is the Rial.

One Rial is about .27 cents US and has been for some time. It is one of the strongest currencies in the world.

ATMS and banks are all over the place in Qatar and you won't have a problem paying with most credit cards. In the souqs you may need to bring a little cash, and don't forget to haggle!

Vaccinations

There are no vaccinations required to enter Qatar.

Annoyances

There are really very little annoyances in Qatar besides the heat in the summer, which many people enjoy.

Gay & Lesbian Travel

Homosexuality and Lesbianism are illegal in Qatar. If you travel with your partner, be discreet, though even heterosexual couples should not engage in public displays of affection either.

so qhat ur sayin is its a baller sonly ting yea?

ite son, i think ill jus head out there next week n jam till the ting starts

SWAG

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

also the whole race thing. we aint all that either, hat with the EDL makin noise atm

http://english.aljazeera.net/photo_galleries/europe/2010112275625847519.html

theres f*ckin issues everywhere man i dont think this sh*t will ever stop

Russia seems worse though, seems uncontrollable, kinda, from what ive seen, IMO, obv i havent been there, but it looks that way

Losing out to Russia on it's own isn't the problem as such. It's the complete obviousness of how corrupt FIFA is... Qatar ffs?

How can a nation half the size of Wales, who've no pedigree whatsoever in regards to football be selected for a World Cup?

They're just gonna sign loads of promising, athletic foreign kids and nationalise them in time for the World Cup.

It just stinks, it's clearly a commercial thing for them and FIFA have gone with it. It's utterly ridiculous.

/

The Russia thing just burns when you see Abramovic's smug face, you just know England never had a chance.

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could take place in January or February to avoid the 50c-plus temperatures of the summer months in the desert state, according to Fifa executive committee member Franz Beckenbauer.

Beckenbauer, who won the 1974 World Cup as West Germany captain and also coached his nation to the 1990 title, admitted that a switch to a winter World Cup would affect European Leagues but insisted "that would not be a major undertaking".

Qatar, which beat bid rivals Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States, said it would deploy climate-control technology to keep the temperature on the pitch to 27 degrees Celsius while outside it was a scorching 50 degrees.

"One should think about a different solution," Beckenbauer told the Bild newspaper, where he also works as a columnist. "In January or February you have a comfortable 25 degrees there. Plans for the biggest leagues would have to change for 2022 but that would not be a major undertaking."

"It would be an alternative to using climate control at great expense for stadiums and fanzones," added Beckenbauer, who is stepping down from the executive committee in March.

Fifa awarded the 2018 World Cup to Russia on the same day and Beckenbauer had long opposed the double vote, for which football's governing body has been the subject of severe criticism.

"It was a mistake to do both 2018 and 2022 on the same day but now it has happened. I would be happy to leave the 2022 decision to the next generation," Beckenbauer said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/04/franz-beckenbauer-qatar-winter

Also I been Eastern Europe, I know blacks willl definitely catch a wicked beating. When I am in Szczecin (Poland) seeing some of the foulest sh*t and man are telling me you think this bad dont you dare go anymore East, I know what it is.

Your right about Poland still i went there on a history trip with students in my class, we got racial abuse but saying that if i took you to certain parts of New Eltham and Welling on a Saturday night you would probably get racial abuse as well, at least i didn't get eggs thrown at me like i did when i last went Bexley.

Russia is an incredibly diverse country, in terms of ethnic groups. Much more so than the UK. Poland is not. The situation isn't the same. But the bottom line is, if you visit Moscow and St. Petersburg and stay in the centre and do the tourist route you are unlikely to have difficulties based on the colour of your skin, except maybe some police hassle or not geting into nightclubs and even that probably won't be happening during the WC. If you decide to go to a smaller city, or a poverty-ridden slum in Moscow then yes, you're going to have a problem. Like I said before, some of you are making far too big a deal out of this "racism" on the basis of wathcing a couple of videos about football hooliganism. Thousands of non-white tourists visit Russia every year, most of them come back alive (joke). Also, Moscow is not a safe city full stop. It's not just black people who might have a bad experience so just if a black English guy gets f*cked about by the police it's just as likely because they know they can extort him because he doesn't know how the system works and can't speak a word of Russian as much as him being black.

I was in Poland, and Russians was telling me this, cos we was gonna go onto Moscow and they not no d*ckhead Russians. Lol, that Police hassle will beat the black of you. Like I said I seen enough. I seen man do nothing and get it, and I seen the reaction when niggas is running around with their blonde chicks. "satan, satan, satan" (Kanye West voice)

yet 4 weeks ago i was in moscow, went out clubbing, went round town a bit, and never had any problems, i noticed some dodgy stuff (does this mean its all bliss? of course not) but you can be telling the same thing to a tourist thinking about going to brixton or other parts of london.

fact is that there is exaggeration based on some truth, and in any case its truth that is not likely going to be a major factor when the WC goes there. but allow british fans going there acting stupid and then banged up and then start saying "we told you so".

but anyway, its quite evident that england wouldve been in the final with russia if it wasnt for their whole FA/media shenanigans

lmao the way you just said it like it's a minor..id hate to see/experience what happened when said 'police' aren't in the best of moods and you uncontrollably do something to piss them off.

i could tell you exactly what that's like if you want

no because then you'd be backing up the exact reason people don't want to go to russia for the world cup.. you're saying the police won't do anything during the world cup but that's bullshit, they will do anything they know they can get away with.

I thought you moved with rappers and serious gangsters bro, but you're too afraid to go to Moscow?

UAE withdrew from next years ice hockey world championships cos they had a game against israel, still theres a long time till qatar and things in the world can change.

pathetic tbh

uae have no reason to be anti-israel, they've certainly never given a penny to the palestinians

Guest TimeBomb

pathetic tbh

uae have no reason to be anti-israel, they've certainly never given a penny to the palestinians

its an agreement the arab league came to.

/

they do give quite a bit to palestine, i read in those wikileaks the US government were against it but UAE continued to send money, big amounts aswell like 100 million.

pathetic tbh

its an agreement the arab league came to.

/

they do give quite a bit to palestine, i read in those wikileaks the US government were against it but UAE continued to send money, big amounts aswell like 100 million.

yeah i know, i was just exaggerating

i think they've actually now said that if israel qualify there will not be an issue about letting them play

Employing that Anelka strategy I see

'hmm he's got a point...I'll talk about him being a hip hopper and people will laugh'

I'm not employing any strategy bro

I'm just surprised that somebody who's friends/colleagues make songs about making money from crime, hurting people and having no respect for the law is afraid to go to Moscow because he's heard the police are violent there.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Losing out to Russia on it's own isn't the problem as such. It's the complete obviousness of how corrupt FIFA is... Qatar ffs?

How can a nation half the size of Wales, who've no pedigree whatsoever in regards to football be selected for a World Cup?

They're just gonna sign loads of promising, athletic foreign kids and nationalise them in time for the World Cup.

]It just stinks, it's clearly a commercial thing for them and FIFA have gone with it. It's utterly ridiculous.

/

The Russia thing just burns when you see Abramovic's smug face, you just know England never had a chance.

HA they go hard with this, saw bare Kenyans runnin for Bahrain like 2 years ago (nt sure if they still do only watched the marathon cos i was bored, yea i know Bahrain is a diff country)

one dude did a marathon in Israel n gt his nationality revoked, n cos Kenya doesnt allow dual nationality he was stateless, PISSED

but tbh thats the way to do it, jus sign bare guys from outside, if u gt the P why nt n ull prob b improve some dudes lives if there like some poor teens from Africa

yet 4 weeks ago i was in moscow, went out clubbing, went round town a bit, and never had any problems, i noticed some dodgy stuff (does this mean its all bliss? of course not) but you can be telling the same thing to a tourist thinking about going to brixton or other parts of london.

fact is that there is exaggeration based on some truth, and in any case its truth that is not likely going to be a major factor when the WC goes there. but allow british fans going there acting stupid and then banged up and then start saying "we told you so".

but anyway, its quite evident that england wouldve been in the final with russia if it wasnt for their whole FA/media shenanigans

Are you forgeting the part where I'm talking to actual Russian citizens.

I thought you moved with rappers and serious gangsters bro, but you're too afraid to go to Moscow?

The rappers was Russian, and like I said not no d*ckheads, and we wasnt scared, thats the point, they was scared for us and being with us, and they are from there and speak the language... Which basically told me, your on our watch and tbh when the police come to beat the black of you, dont look at us cos we cant save you.

The rappers was Russian, and like I said not no d*ckheads, and we wasnt scared, thats the point, they was scared for us and being with us, and they are from there and speak the language... Which basically told me, your on our watch and tbh when the police come to beat the black of you, dont look at us cos we cant save you.

What do you mean they're not d*ckheads? Do you think that Russian rappers are regarded as serious people in Moscow/Petersburg? There's a reason they couldn't save you if they wanted to, cos they're not people that police can't bully. I dunno if that was what you were getting at, ignore it if not

If a black friend of mine wanted to visit Russia I would tell them to be careful, and not just because of racism, but that it's unlikely that anything bad is going to happen to them. No offence, but I think the people you were with eagerrated, or were overly nervous or something.

Guest TimeBomb

]It just stinks, it's clearly a commercial thing for them and FIFA have gone with it. It's utterly ridiculous.

/

HA they go hard with this, saw bare Kenyans runnin for Bahrain like 2 years ago (nt sure if they still do only watched the marathon cos i was bored, yea i know Bahrain is a diff country)

one dude did a marathon in Israel n gt his nationality revoked, n cos Kenya doesnt allow dual nationality he was stateless, PISSED

but tbh thats the way to do it, jus sign bare guys from outside, if u gt the P why nt n ull prob b improve some dudes lives if there like some poor teens from Africa

when i played in the arab cup in UAE, kuwait had 5 Czech players and UAE had 3 russians, was chilling with one at the pool he told me he gets a grand a day.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

/

when i played in the arab cup in UAE, kuwait had 5 Czech players and UAE had 3 russians, was chilling with one at the pool he told me he gets a grand a day.

them states are gonna be sooooooooo pissed when the oil runs out

Had a dream last night that my football team went on tour to russia..we got kidnapped by the russian mafia and everyone was put in gas chambers..i was the last to be put in and they gave me 30 seconds to send a text to loved 1s... it was 1 of them 1s when it seemed soo real..

I now do not trust russians at all (not that i did before anyway)

• Downvote 1