Arsenal Jan Transfer Window

gemma

Another window is closed, not the most exciting one on our end.

Great to see Henry return but didn't address the areas that needed it for the rest of the season. Leftback being that main position, silly by the boss because leaving Tommy V there just leaves us weak in the centre of our back line.

We shall see you next January, the summer window thread will be open as soon as the season is over.

I expect numerous amounts of sh*t with little business done.

Keys are out and locked.

As the January transfer window draws to a close, I thought I’d share the information I’ve received throughout the month to at least try and shed some light on Arsenal’s transfer strategy – a moot point with many Gooners at present.

Firstly, a few points; Arsenal aren’t the only big club that have been very cautious this month, in fact it’s been the trend thus far for more than one reason – mainly due to unavailability of targets prior to a major international tournament (Euro 2012) and also due to the uncertainty of the global economy. Also, with so many ins and outs in the summer, Wenger was not keen on bringing new players in mid-season – he rarely is. He prefers to get them in for a full pre-season – which again emphasises what a catastrophe last summer was in terms of decision making and planning; something that I don’t want to discuss again as it hurts my head.

Here is a shortlist of players that Arsenal have looked closely at, and in some cases made serious enquiries about during the window.

Lukas Podolski

Arsenal made a firm approach for the German international striker at the end of December having watched him on numerous occasions. The 26-year-old who has been in prolific form this season for Cologne, did not want to move from his boyhood club in January as he didn’t want to jeopardise his Euro 2012 spot in the Germany squad. I expect Arsenal to make a fresh bid in the summer, with Podolski’s current contract running out next year.

Mario Götze

A player that Chief Scout Steve Rowley has tracked since he burst into Dortmund’s first team at the backend of 2009. Dortmund were not willing to sell, so expect Arsenal – and a host of other clubs – to tempt Dortmund and Götze in the summer – by which time his valuation could rocket if he has a prosperous Euro 2012.

Saloman Kalou

Chelsea have been looking to offload Kalou as he is out of contract in the summer. Arsenal made an enquiry with a view to making a firm bid, but were put off by the players’ £90k a week salary demands.

Ravel Morrison

Was scouted regularly and reports were very positive. An obvious talent but has personal issues, which is why United are letting him go. Would’ve been a punt by Wenger and no surprise he didn’t bother having been let down by English talent in the past.

Stevan Jovetic

The Fiorentina attacker was watched extensively by scouts, but having recently signed a contract until 2016, would take a substantial fee to prise him away from Florence.

England International

An agent of a full England International contacted Arsenal to say that his player wanted to sign for them. The player was scouted but wage demands deemed too high. Could be revisited in the summer.