Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MetaFives

We officially have 3 centre backs and Nordveit

19 posts in this topic

We need 2 centre backs!!!!!

Newcastle United have finalised the signing of veteran defender Sol Campbell on a one-year contract. Campbell's short-term deal at Arsenal expired at the end of last season and he had been attracting interest from several clubs.He held talks with Newcastle's fierce rivals Sunderland and was also considering a move to Old Firm giants Celtic.However, Campbell has opted to link up with the promoted Magpies and the 35-year-old has expressed his delight at securing a move to St James' Park.Tremendous"At this stage of my career I couldn't have wished for a better move," Campbell told the club's official website. "To join a club such as Newcastle United, with its proud tradition, heritage and magnificent support, is absolutely tremendous for me."I'd like to thank Chris Hughton for putting his faith in me and aim to repay him and the supporters by giving everything I possibly can to help re-establish this great club in the top tier of English football."There's a real buzz about the place and that's great. I've played at St James' Park numerous times and always found it a fantastic place to play, there's always a tremendous atmosphere."Magpies boss Hughton added: "I have known Sol since he was a lad at Tottenham and am fully aware of what he has to offer. That is experience, quality, calm assurance and leadership."He's a dedicated professional, a terrific addition to the squad, and I look forward to working with him again."

Only need 1 and a keeper.

So you are happy challenging on all fronts with:1 reliable player who has had 1 season in the Premiership1 player who missed the vast majority of last season with an injury (and has previously been injured a lot)1 new player who has only had 1 season in the top flight (albeit in France) and does not look suited to the English game at all1 new player who will only have 3 weeks max to gel with the teamYou know what we are like with injuries, it wouldn't surprise me if we started the season with 2 fit centre backs

Are you happy starting the season with Almunia or Fabianski in goal.?Tbh the goalkeeper situation needs to be sorted first. From when your number 1 on the teamsheet is a laughing stock it doesnt bode well for the team.

If we got a sick cb like jagielka n a keeper id be confident u know. Vermalen n Jagielka would hold it down. french boy would have time 2 learn. djourou is sik wen hes fit then a younger or song can b 5th choice.

Apart of me is glad Campbell didnt sign as he would have caused a ranking system.Dunno why people are acting like Koscielny is some any guy tbh.

Apart of me is glad Campbell didnt sign as he would have caused a ranking system.Dunno why people are acting like Koscielny is some any guy tbh.
This.Tommy V and Koscielny aren't injured. They can cope for 3 weeks while we sign someone. Other than a GK (I'm hearing that Marchetti guy is coming in? TF?) I'm not eve concerned.

Marchetti apparently is a no. Schwarzer is still our target with the Ajax keeper the back-up, but he might get Champions League cup-tied tonight, which would kill that IMO.I was told Wenger targets at the end of the season was Chamakh, 1 if not 2 centre-backs and a goalkeeper in that order of priority. Wenger will happily start the season with one of our current 4 keepers. :D

almunia needs to f*ck off to spain and accept his fatewenger f*cked up giving him a half decent contracthe should be paid on commission for saves made

almunia needs to f*ck off to spain and accept his fatewenger f*cked up giving him a half decent contracthe should be paid on commission for saves made
:D

Stekelenburg started for Ajax, as did Suarez, not sure on the other 2 of there players that we've been linked with.

Arsène Wenger is considering “plenty of names” as he bids to bring in another centre back before the start of the season.Sol Campbell, William Gallas and Mikael Silvestre have departed since May with the manager adding only Laurent Koscielny from Lorient. Johan Djourou has returned after sitting out almost the entire 2009/10 campaign with injury. But, with Thomas Vermaelen, that makes only three established, experienced centre backs on the books.Wenger admits that last season he needed five central defenders so he is looking to add one more at least before the transfer window shuts. But, for now, the Frenchman is remaining tight-lipped as to his targets."I wouldn’t like to give you any names,” he said. “There are plenty of names that we consider and we analyse. We look at the financial possibilities and the technical potential. But it is impossible for me to come out with a name."We are still on the search because at the moment we only have three centre backs and we have seen last season you needed five. I believe we need at least four because we have some other players who can fill in this position but overall we are still on the search."However SMHArsène Wenger is playing Havard Nordtveit at right back so the defender can add to his experience. The 20-year-old joined Arsenal as a centre back and captained the Reserves from that position two seasons ago. However he played in central midfield while on loan at Nurnberg last term and has operated at right back for much of pre-season. That's because Wenger doesn't believe Nordtveit is the finished product yet and is hoping the Norwegian can improve his game by playing in different roles."He can play centre half," confirmed the manager. "I still believe he needs some more experience and that is why I try to use him in a different position at the moment."

Nothing wrong with asking Nordveidt to play RB IMO.

Yeah but we don't need a RB.Surely it would be better in these pre-season friendlies to play him at CB.

NORDVIET PLAYIN RIGHT BACK IN PRE-SEASON WHY YOU WETTING YOUR AFGAN GENESSETTLE YOURSELF p*ssy

Well, I doubt he's playing him there RIGHT NOW with a view to play to use him there long-term.I think it's moreso about giving him playing time & I'm sure he played CB during our last friendly,

glad he's sayin we looking at a new cb.gotta b expeirienced tho. that Nordveit guy got bare potential.

glad he's sayin we looking at a new cb.gotta b expeirienced tho. that Nordveit guy got bare potential.
STFU, U SCRAMBLED EGG