Two Games Left For Almunia To Convince Wenger

MrJibbles

The suspicion, however, is that Wenger also realises Arsenal possess a goalkeeper in Manuel Almunia who could cost his precocious side the league title.On a day when the intricate passing patterns for which Arsenal are famed were never at their most luminous, Almunia's performance also attracted some criticism.A fatal dash from his line cost Arsenal the second goal, albeit Cristiano Ronaldo's tap-in also coming courtesy of a lightning United move.Several more rushes of blood when Almunia went AWOL from his six-yard box spread confusion in an otherwise robust defence.And while Wenger was not about to send Almunia on a walk of shame just yet he was by no means fully supportive of his goalkeeper, especially for his part in the second goal.Wenger said: "He rushed out to block the cross and he was unhappy with his decision making. Would he have caught the ball? Could he have stayed inside? He left his goal and didn't get the ball so he'll feel as if he made a mistake. I'll have to watch it again."When he does he might rue his decision to stick by Almunia ahead of Jens Lehmann, a player with vastly more experience if one also not unaccustomed to the odd aberration.Wenger explained: "Lehmann was injured and Almunia has done extremely well since, 10 games on the trot. I didn't want to disturb the side."Until now, he has done very well. I believe in sticking with one goalkeeper. You cannot tell him: 'No matter how many mistakes you make, you'll always be my goalkeeper.' But you have to give him at least two games."Not exactly a rousing endorsement although Almunia knows he has the midweek European match against Slavia Prague to redeem himself.

Almunia should of been covering that near post tight for Rooneys goal but he didnt. His left arm should be basically against the post as a near post cross like that is more then likely to end up with a shot there.He also rushed out for no reason for Ronaldos goal. Lehmann would not of conceded both them goals. Fabiansky is also a better keeper then Almunia so I want hiim to be 2nd choice until the end of the season.

Almunia's kicking has always been sh*t.Almunia in big games or when he's tested will lose his cool & his decision making becomes woeful.Almunia cost us 2 points, dont care what anyone says...He's not a Arsenal trophy winning number 1, infact he's not a trophy winning side's keeper period.He's lucky cos he's got Prague & Reading away next, but come them triple away games (Villa, Newcastle & Boro) then Chelsea & Spurs at home he'll be FOUND out.I just hope Wenger see's sense.

lehmann has accurate short passes 4 a goal keeper,never seen that from almuniahis kicking was slack yesterday,remember 1 miskick that we got away withit was a flick from rooney not a header,he shouldve got suttin on ithe did cost us 2 pointshes never been good enough anyway

The problem we have is our 2 main goal keepers are simply not good enough and Fabianski has no experience. I don't know why Wenger has never addressed this goal keeping issue, its the one area where Wenger has never really excelled in. Lehman has only really ever had one season of consitencey 2005-2006 - Champions league run reason. Both goal keepers don't exactly fill you with confidence, and both are likely to produce at least 5-6 clangers per season which could very well cost us a major trophy. Almunia cannot read the game to save his life, good shot stopper but his decision making at times is terrible and he does have a tendancy to get done through his legs in cup finals! I really don't know what the solution is but I can see the goal keeper situation being the difference between us winning things and not.

Don't be fooled Lehmann cant kick FAR, but he can get to one of our players his distribution is WAY better, Almunia on the other hand... Always to the opposition, always! Watch the next Arsenal match and your see...
Its so true iv'e noticed it, it was blatent on Saturday every single time.At least Jens is usually good with the quick long throw, he starts nuff our attacks with his quick distribution.

Real talk from Myles Palmer

Remember this : the Arsenal players are all international players. They all have caps and they're all in their national squads. But Almunia isn't and never has been. That tells you something. That tells you that Almunia is not one of Spain's top four goalkeepers. Arsenal think they are one of Europe's top eight clubs, and since the most important player in any football team is the goalkeeper, Arsenal should have an international keeper. A team that aspires to win the Champions League has to employ an international goalkeeper.