Anyone doing History at university?

8BALL

for the big 4 accountancy firms, they dont require you to do a specific degree like finance, accountancy etc, but its not easy to get into those firms. the competition is FIERCE, plus when it comes to the psychometric numeracy testing you may fail compared to others who find maths alot easier.then again if you do a degree in history, you're unlikely to have a big interest in accountancy.if u do history and want to go into law, you have to go to law school and do a conversion course which is like 2 years, its all a long process and law is not as interesting as people make it soundthe fact is, alot of the jobs available are not specific to one degree, but its easier for people to prove their enthusiam if they do a degree in that subject. i go to quite a good uni, and loads of people do degrees in marketing, so they find it easy to get marketing jobs in agencies and big companies. i got offered a placement job at 3M and got to final stages for marketing in places like proctor and gamble, l'oreal etc and i dont study any marketing

if u no u wanna do law or finance jus do that degreewhats the point in doin historyalot of people do it then changebut its comptetitive now if ur goin for a job andsomeones got 3 years of studyin that subject more than uits gonna be hardunless u do history at cambridge or somewhere big

really and truly what job prospects do people have if they study History at uni?Serious question. I'm actually intrigued
Finance, accountancy, law, the social services, journalism, local and national government and computer science.Among loads of other things.
In what ways would a person enter law with a history degree?
History degree -> GDL -> LPC (I think) -> Training contract -> Qualified solicitorHistory degree -> Sit the Bar -> Barrister
The first one was right, but you missed the GDL for the second one too.Prospective barristers still have to do the GDL...

History is pretty much as academic as it get, in the terms of usefulness outside of academia. Yes, you will develop excellent analysis, evaluation and essay writing skills. However in terms of gaining skills attributable in the employment sector, you probably will not posses as many skills as someone who has graduated from another degree, bar perhaps Journalism. And when I say another degree, I don't mean http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergra...+and+Technology

if u no u wanna do law or finance jus do that degreewhats the point in doin historyalot of people do it then changebut its comptetitive now if ur goin for a job andsomeones got 3 years of studyin that subject more than uits gonna be hardunless u do history at cambridge or somewhere big
Applying for a banking placement with a non economics/finance degree supposedly gives you a better chance of getting the placement, because the questions are less difficult because you are expected to know less.Employers tend to look for a decent skill set as opposed to purely knowledge.Also I heard something like 3 of the top 10 earners in the U.K have history degrees but to be fair they did probs go Oxford.

Applying for a banking placement with a non economics/finance degree supposedly gives you a better chance of getting the placement, because the questions are less difficult because you are expected to know less.Employers tend to look for a decent skill set as opposed to purely knowledge.Also I heard something like 3 of the top 10 earners in the U.K have history degrees but to be fair they did probs go Oxford.
i done a bankin plcement last summer i hear what ur sayinbut if u have not been studyin finance at degree levelfrom ur first day u will be playin catch upu would struggle understand a balance sheet or income statementu can do it but if u wanna do bankin really nd trully jus do a finance degree it will make it easier for u

i do history at queen mary university.
what you looking to do after you graduate?
i'm thinking of going into journalism...my aunt knows someone who works at a paper so she said she'll ask if i can get work experience there in the summer...like to shadow her or something. if i like it then yeah i'll get into that.otherwise i might do a law conversion course. my brother just got a really good training contract so he might be able to get me work experience as well.