January Window

MrJibbles

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein says Arsene Wenger has to make a new signing to stop his side's worrying slide down the table. The Gunners, five points behind Aston Villa in fifth place, are closing in on a multi-million pound move for Zenit St Petersburg forward Andrei Arshavin. "Arsenal desperately need to sign a new player," Dein told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme. "Arsene is the one who can turn water into wine but he needs a bit of help." He added: "Arguably the team has been punching above its weight." Despite suffering a string of injuries to key players like Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott and Eduardo da Silva, Wenger has refused to panic buy in the January transfer window. The Frenchman remains confident a deal for Arshavin can be completed before Monday's midnight deadline. And Dein believes the capture of the Russia international will give Arsenal the impetus required to regain their place in the top four. "They desperately need a little bit of extra creativity, but they are going to have to pay up for him," said Dein. "When I left, I said there was a danger of slippage. That's what's happening at the present moment and that's got to be contained. "This season is one of the most delicate, in that they are fighting for their Champions League place. "The first goal is to get that Champions League place. Five points behind Aston Villa is a mini-mountain to climb but there is talent there and there is resolve. They can do it." Former Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Petit would welcome the addition of Arshavin at the Emirates, but warned the club are lacking seasoned players with experience. "The club needs to spend a little bit of money to bring some experienced players who can hold the dressing room and be a leader on the pitch," said the Frenchman. "When I see Arsenal ready to spend £15m on Arshavin, I don't mind, but I would rather spend that kind of money on bringing back (AC Milan's Mathieu) Flamini. "I would rather spend money buying some defenders and one more goalkeeper. But you need experienced players to win games at the end."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nal/7863576.stm
Swear that guy talks soo much sense
Sorely missed

Adams and Bruce battle it out for Merida loanAuthor: Nigel BrownPosted on: 29 January 2009 - 15:40Category: FootballComments: 1 Go...Sport.co.uk understands that Portmsouth boss Tony Adams, and Wigan gaffer Steve Bruce are leading the race to sign Arsenal midfielder Fran Merida on loan until the end of the season.The former Barcelona trainee joined Arsenal in similar circumstances to cesc Fabergas in September 2005. However Merida was ordered by the Spanish courts to pay Barcelona £2.5 million for breaking his pre-contract with the Catalan club, which Arsenal covered.Merida spent last season on loan at Real Sociedad playing fourteen times and scoring just once, and the creative midfielder has played on a couple of occassions in Arsenal's Carling Cup run this year.However, Arsene Wenger feels Merida needs to develop physically if he is going to progress at Arsenal, and he sees the second half of the season as the perfect opportunity for Merida to gain regular first team experience.Wenger said before Arsenal's trip to Burnley in the Carling Cup:“You see in training and in the first team, he is always an asset. “But at the moment in the Premier League you need power and I feel Fran is a late developer physically, but I do think he will come on.”Steve Bruce has a history of successful Arsenal loanees including Nicklas Bendtner, Sebastian Larsson, Fabrice Muamba and Jermaine Pennant. Bruce was even recommended Wilson Palacios by Arsene Wenger after the player had a trial with the Gunners.On the other hand Tony Adams is desperate to utilise his links with Arsenal and sees the loan signing of Merida as an ideal squad member to deal with the loss of Lassana Diarra and Jermaine Defoe. Adams is also expected to complete the signing of Javier Saviola before the end of the week.
Can do all that with Sky+. You can't go outdoors anyway. Expose your skin to sunlight and you burn like a vampire. You ginger pussyhole.
what was your previous username?