The Official Liverpool FC Thread

The Infamous

Wickham is a good player, very raw, but good prospect, reminds me of Shearer in ways.

Like Afobe he needs to learn the knack of scoring more in pro football, but IMO both have the attributes and the goals will come...

Wickham probably should stay at Ipswich another year tho.

I've seen enough of Wickham and to me he doesn't have anything that makes me think that he could go on to be a world class player, his very limited as a player, and its hard to ignore this when he doesn't have the instinctive finishing the likes of Fowler, Owen had. Obviously i know he is still young but to me if your going to splash out over 10 million on a 17 year old then that said player must be special, right now there is nothing in his game which suggest to me that he is better than the last highly rated prospect to come out of Ipswichs academy in Darren Bent, and how much did he go for 2 3 million?

We've basically got a similar player to Wickham in our academy as well(Adam Morgan), and Ngoo whos all round game is much better. Splashing out 10 million on a 17 year old striker, makes no sense to me, especially considering that our record signing is still only 21, nowadays teams rarely play with more than 1 striker, so i don't see how Wickham will make a breakthrough.

Thats just my two cents anyways, its just funny though that United brought Hernandez for what 7 million? it just goes to show that there is much better value abroad, in my opinion.

He's not world class, but he along with Afobe are probably the best two English strikers in the 1993 group. How much that will go onto prove, I dont know... But you have to remember at 17/18 these two are playing league football, not youth & reserve football. I've never seen Morgan & Ngoo and they could be special but I doubt they are as far along.

Afobe is the new Heskey. Good Touch and great at holding up, awful composure tho. Never gonna be a goal scorer but will make a very good target man.

:lol:

Your crazy about new Heskey.

But your right he is still raw on the composure and positioning side of things, but his youth goal record suggest he will be a goalscorer, again Afobe ain't world class.

Afobe is the new Heskey. Good Touch and great at holding up, awful composure tho. Never gonna be a goal scorer but will make a very good target man.

But your right he is still raw on the composure and positioning side of things, but his youth goal record suggest he will be a goalscorer, again Afobe ain't world class.

So Afobe is basically like Wickham?

For some reason i had some pre conceived notion that he would be some silky 2nd striker with lots of flair, similar to Van Persie, who do you think is the best player coming out your academy, i heard a kid who is from round my parts Zak Ansah is highly rated?

No Afobe for a long time was considered the new Darren Bent by followers of the U16's and U18s, he did very little with the ball in a game except score at youth level.

However Arsenal have brought him on the technical side of things, still far from great, but when the Euro winning England U17 side played a 4-3-3 system, Afobe was the one moved out wide cos he still somehow has a bit more to his game & pace than Wickham, hence why I think Wickham reminds me of Shearer (if you watched that tournament that might be why you think he in the van Persie mould)

Somehow Afobe has become this weird sort of second (dunno if thats the right word) striker at Huddersfield, where he works for the team and hustle and chases, he still makes all the right runs into the right places but he is still very raw and his movement in the box isn't quite good enough. Hence his goal return not being outstanding.

Yes he is, Ansah from what I've seen is very technical, suppose to be going Charlton on loan next season.

Erm I dunno tbh, I try not to get gassed no more on the yutes, Jack Jebb would seem to be the next big one (pause), but then you got Afobe, Aneke, Alban Bunjaku, (I personally rate Freeman), and then Nico Yennaris who always seems to be hyped (Trevor Brooking named him as one of England future talents & he was on the bench for Emirates Cup last year), but I haven't seen him play as he is literally never fit.

Anyway let me stop talking about Arsenal in the Liverpool thread.

Basically I think Wickham is a good signing, I just think he probably would be better served with one final season in the Championship or being carried by a lower Prem team, not 3rd choice at Champions League chasing Liverpool.

never watched him at youth level but from how he is playing in league one i rekon he bagged goals because he was a beast compared to most youth players because these big men in league one struggle to deal with his strength and power, but are more expierenced so they dont get dashed and caught lunging in like i can imagine would happen against him at youth level.

He is Heskeys more talented son.

Kenny Dalglish's £80million Liverpool revolution is set to continue with the capture of Southampton whizzkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The Kop boss has been told by the club's American owners to carry on spending as he looks to build a squad capable of mounting a sustained challenge for the Premier League title next season.

And after missing out to Manchester United in the £16million race to land Phil Jones last week, Dalglish has moved in to beat Arsenal for top teenage winger Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Arsene Wenger was certain that he had secured the 17-year-old winger with a package that could net Southampton up to £12million.

But Liverpool have matched the Gunners' offer and Dalglish believes he has moved into pole position to land the son of former England winger Mark Chamberlain.

Dalglish has been handed the biggest single transfer kitty in Anfield history by owners Fenway Sports.

He is looking to add to the fund by selling £10million-rated centre-back Daniel Agger, while he is also hopeful that a buyer willing to pay the same for £18million misfit Alberto Aquillani can be found in Italy.

Dalglish wants to build his team around predominantly British talent.

He broke the club's transfer record by buying Andy Carroll from Newcastle for £35million in January and has splashed out another £20million to bring in Jordan Henderson from Sunderland.

Stewart Downing is high on Dalglish's wish-list, although Aston Villa's resolve to keep the £15million-rated England winger has been stiffened by Ashley Young's departure to United.

And Liverpool have turned their attentions to Bolton's Gary Cahill after Jones chose Old Trafford ahead of Anfield, with the England centre-back having a £16million release clause in his contract.

The Merseysiders are also ready to go to £9million for young Ipswich striker Connor Wickham after being rebuffed in midweek, and are confident that a renewed bid for Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam will succeed after a winter off was rejected.

Liverpool are also looking to solve a left-back problem.

Newcastle's Jose Enrique remains the club's preferred choice, despite an interest in Arsenal's unsettled Gael Clichy, although they will be reluctant to pay more than £7million with the Spaniard having just 12 months left on his contract.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Kenny-Dalglish-given-80million-budget-for-Anfield-rebuild-article746388.html#ixzz1P0lRv7tR

I swear Chamberlain plays primarily on the right and Stirling on the left?

He's exactly the type of player we've been crying out for, we might as well od and get him as well as Stirling.

He plays on the left as well and i feel he is much better there, he would be an unnecessary signing. Hes the type of player we've been screaming for but he is not yet ready to play in our first team. Remember Ince shone in his short stint at league 1 as well, if he had stayed there the whole season he probably would have been quoted at the same price even though we know he is not worth it.

And we have Suso and Toni Silva (who doesn't get as many plaudits as I think he should)

Just seems pointless tbh and some of these guys must be thinking, wtf?!

Obviously the rumour mill is in over drive so we need to just wait and see.

Whether Ince would have been able to sustain that form for a full season we'll never know. Stirling is still in school so I don't see the problem with Chamberlain who is further on in his development coming in but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

/

Southampton are doing great things there youth setup will continue to produce gems, they're miles ahead of most clubs in terms of how they develop their players.