Underground Urban to Brit-Pop??

Tirunih

I'm not talking about S.A.S in this thread again. So I'll ignore that comment.I dont rap, so what door exactly am I trying to knock?Your giving those consumers way too much credit, you know you jump from so many things when debating that I think you foget your own and other peoples points...You speak to ANY artist and they will tell you one of the biggest problems in the UK is that you have to fight to GET to the consumers. The fight to get them to like you is less than the fight to get others to believe they will like you.... So to that extent they do dictate as again they have the marketing spend.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about S.A.S in this thread again. So I'll ignore that comment.I dont rap, so what door exactly am I trying to knock?Your giving those consumers way too much credit, you know you jump from so many things when debating that I think you foget your own and other peoples points...You speak to ANY artist and they will tell you one of the biggest problems in the UK is that you have to fight to GET to the consumers. The fight to get them to like you is less than the fight to get others to believe they will like you.... So to that extent they do dictate as again they have the marketing spend.
SAS were an example of your warped opinionI obviously wasnt talking about you, I used you looselyN-Dubz got signed, dropped, picked up by AATW and moved 300k albums in a month, sold out tour without a top 40 single or radio 1 play list (from what I remember). Thats the power of consumers. Ironik went top 5 without Radio 1 play list. Thats the power of consumers. Both got their deals from knocking on the door with assistance of consumers. And what topics have I jumped to and from here? Its you hopping about, deflectingIts never gonna be easy to get them interested. Theres a whole world wide web there at their fingertips, its easier than its been in a while for urban music. I'd tell them make better pop songs or find something better to do. Simple tings. Ask Tinchy, ask Wiley about how long theyve been grinding and why theyve had success now after so long. Ask Chipmunk how much easier it was for him to get signed because there are others about.What you are doing is regurgitating/ sticking up for those who cant make crossover songs and go on like its other peoples fault for their failure. The reason you keep deflecting into trying to throw cusses and asking dumb questions like "I'm not a rapper, whos you?" is because your points dont really have much strength. The fact you never answered the questions prove that. You'll come back and deflect or say you havent got time to address thisAgain I ask youWhat percentage of the acts doing it big urban UK now were signed without prior knowledge they have an underground following? About age is a big factor. In an ideal world they may like someone young yes, but are you telling me if a couple of the older acts started making them hits they wouldnt be interested? Its a business mate. Money talksWhich reminds me, Jammer got signed to Big Dada the other day. That should show you the market right now

Oh and just so you know Numero the great prophet, when N-Dubz got dropped they got picked up by the dude from Channel U who has picked up several acts, now with U and Fizz, he makes sure they hit the consumers to do alll of those things without a major. In another market they would call it insider trading...

and the Channel U part is relevant cos if he has invested in you and stands to gain vastly, do you not think your music isn't going to play every half hour at least on TWO music channels. The fact you are trying to school ME on how N-Dubz was broken when I've already told you I speak to the people who broke them and know how they did it I find laughable, but hey your the prophet.

With Tinchy Stryder's current single borrowing the hook of Olive's You're Not Alone, and Dizzee's Dirtee Cash making hay with a reworked sample from Bedfordshire rave titan Stevie V, Britain's grime crossover shock troops are ransacking their cheesy raver heritage with the same gleeful abandon that early US rappers recycled James Brown and George Clinton. "One of the reasons European-sounding tracks work so well with UK rappers on," Taio Cruz explains, "is that it doesn't feel like they're trying to be American."
I think this is a very good point.

Numero you chat sh*t.and while you ask where your answers, again I'll ask, whats a safe act?
A safe act = not intimidating. Generally white people/mainstream are wary of black people, have an inoffensive one in both presence and music and you are likely to find that safe.Oh look more deflecting from the point with word throwing no answers
and the Channel U part is relevant cos if he has invested in you and stands to gain vastly, do you not think your music isn't going to play every half hour at least on TWO music channels. The fact you are trying to school ME on how N-Dubz was broken when I've already told you I speak to the people who broke them and know how they did it I find laughable, but hey your the prophet.
Many acts have their music played regularly and flop. If the song doesnt connect, chances are it wont matter. You'll flick over to another channel as soon as its on.I'm not schooling you, I'm illustrating my point whilst drawing for examples to prove it. This may be a me and you conversation, but there are other people reading. I'm not only making a point to you, I'm showing the others. And oh look more word throwing but no answers lol Thats 3 timesYour problem is youve been marching around here thinking you know it all. If it aint gossip/exclusive ***/Dipset/Rocafella info, you arent untouchable around here. Oh I just clocked, thats why you are trying to bring all this "I know more than you because I speak to the people/ I know about Channel U guy even though it isnt relevant to the conversation" talk, thats your comfort zone. Its getting a bit on top alie?@ Brisco, one breh called Steve Long is the dude I'm told about

Fact is you wouldnt be able to tell me whether or not I've been paid by music industry, I wouldnt tell you if I had, but at the end of the day what does that have to do with this? Deflecting attention again with your supposed superiority?You've dodged the questions all convo. Proof is in the pudding people. By the way, I think youre a cool, knowledgable guy. I did this for he who tried to tell me you end me all the time (as incorrect as that is). Just a pawn in the game, I apologise for the public display. I would have stopped a long time ago, but I found it funny seeing you dodge the questions, saying you wont reply yet replying, but still not answering the questions, instead choosing to deflect or distract with irrelevance than deal with the matter.Even down to the post above you have done the two things I've showed; childish cussin and showing you supposed "power". Still no answers.I've had my fun for the day. Safe

Whatever pal. Still no answers but its a new day, forget about itAnyway, how comes no one speaks of Rita Ora signing to Roc Nation? You know the girl who was in that Craig David feat Tinchy song. She's been down with them from at least April/May times.And how the hell did she manage to pull that one off? I've never heard anything from her, ever. Is that my ignorance or has she never had a song out that people will know

Numero you chat sh*t.and while you ask where your answers, again I'll ask, whats a safe act?
A safe act = not intimidating. Generally white people/mainstream are wary of black people, have an inoffensive one in both presence and music and you are likely to find that safe.
How do Wiley and Dizzee fit into this seen as they've both done well?And How does Master Shortie because he's probably the safest you can get from the 'Urban' scene and he flopped hard.That ting about Wretch and Scorcher is deep, I had to google the younger acts that were being mentioned. TF do you think it has anything to do with them not just being a bit older but a bit more clued up on how it works financially, makes sense for the labels to catch the artists at a young age when they're more impressionable and easily impressed by the idea of being signed.

A safe act = not intimidating. Generally white people/mainstream are wary of black people, have an inoffensive one in both presence and music and you are likely to find that safe.
How do Wiley and Dizzee fit into this seen as they've both done well?And How does Master Shortie because he's probably the safest you can get from the 'Urban' scene and he flopped hard.That ting about Wretch and Scorcher is deep, I had to google the younger acts that were being mentioned. TF do you think it has anything to do with them not just being a bit older but a bit more clued up on how it works financially, makes sense for the labels to catch the artists at a young age when they're more impressionable and easily impressed by the idea of being signed.
It depends on what you call flop. He's fully independent from what I know, so you cant compare him to others in terms of sales, chart etc. Seems to be performing a lot and I'm sure he's got his tour coming. How big the tour is I dont know but still...Wiley was signed on the strength of WMR iirc. Same way he's been signed based on Take That imo. As I've pointed out in the past, people like the beat more than Wiley. That was my point about Wretch and Scorcher, if they made an irresistable banger, they could get signed. f*ck it, that song was so little of Wiley, it could have been Wretch, Scorcher, Sincere, SAS, even lego boy! Dizzee is currently independent. Got signed at a time when he was the sh*t underground, in a different time to now anyway. Someone took a relative risk and it paid off. Supposedly they werent interested in Dance With Me so he kicked out.
N-Dubz....sold out tour without a top 40 single or radio 1 play list (from what I remember). Thats the power of consumers. Ironik went top 5 without Radio 1 play list.
:lol:
That was rude of me. Big up 1Xtra! I did mention 1Xtra in an earlier post though. My point was there are other avenues than Radio 1 play list. 1Xtra being one of the biggest alternatives shouldve got mentioned. That enough grovelling lol

Whatever pal. Still no answers but its a new day, forget about itAnyway, how comes no one speaks of Rita Ora signing to Roc Nation? You know the girl who was in that Craig David feat Tinchy song. She's been down with them from at least April/May times.And how the hell did she manage to pull that one off? I've never heard anything from her, ever. Is that my ignorance or has she never had a song out that people will know
Understand I'm never going to answer your points like I said you caht sh*t.Moving on... Nobody cares about Rita Ora yet. She was suppose to do Eurovision with Lloyd Webber. People still make demos...

That ting about Wretch and Scorcher is deep, I had to google the younger acts that were being mentioned. TF do you think it has anything to do with them not just being a bit older but a bit more clued up on how it works financially, makes sense for the labels to catch the artists at a young age when they're more impressionable and easily impressed by the idea of being signed.
Of course it is.When I'm meeting a guy who handles publishing at Stryder's label and he telling me "that contract Stryder signed is the worst I've ever seen he got d*cked down", I'm hardly suprised.

Understand I'm never going to answer your points like I said you caht sh*t.Moving on... Nobody cares about Rita Ora yet. She was suppose to do Eurovision with Lloyd Webber. People still make demos...
Kool, like I said its a new day, forget about it.Funny how you reply to me now with an answer even though it was rhetorical, nor was it aimed at you! Contradicton no? The real question was the "I've never heard anything from her, ever. Is that my ignorance or has she never had a song out that people will know" bit.Llow it now, youre embarrassing yourself

Kool, like I said its a new day, forget about it.Funny how you reply to me now with an answer even though it was rhetorical, nor was it aimed at you! Contradicton no? The real question was the "I've never heard anything from her, ever. Is that my ignorance or has she never had a song out that people will know" bit.Llow it now, youre embarrassing yourself
Thus the moving on... No contradiction at all, what you dont sem to get here is this is a topic regarding a subject matter, in your determination to "deaded me" you sway from point to point and then go back to previous points which are based on something completely different, so much so even I forget what the f*ck we talking about and end up arguing for the same thing.If you made a new thread, stuck to a CLEAR point. Thing would be so much easier. Cos your keyboard fraffle just confuses my head and I'm sure it does for others too.