She did it!

Pop Music these days is clearly not about the music. Its about the record labels marketing ability that's judged by these charts really

tbh Adele's success has probably got a lot of marketing moguls scratching their heads, in many ways she's the opposite of the modern pop star in a lot of ways but she appeals to every age group.

She's an anomaly but it's still good to see.

Lol like this hasn't become marketing in itself, how many singers nowdays are getting marketed as 'real working class people, with real problems\' etc, it ain't no anomaly, singers like her are fast becoming the prototype.

Tell me another couple of artists similar to Adele who have been marketed like she has and appeal to every age group.

The whole rap scene for one, artists like The Streets, Winehouse, its becoming something that is more apparent.

Maybe i've been reading too much Daily Mail, but i'm tired of hearing ' So and so artist came from a tough council estate in South London'

Bro how the fuck does the whole rap scene have a broader appeal than Adele?

She's a classic singer, no frills, personable etc

Her Brits performance was evidence of that, stripped back, people like that sort of thing

She has a market in the older generation that other pop stars don't have also

Mums and daughters

Then why ain't the other singers in this mode selling records?

What others?

DiffusionOfInnovation.png

sick

What you mean what others?

If you don't know then it just shows how little you know about the genre of Neo Soul/Soul i'm tire of naming artists.

I dunno shit about "Neo Soul" mate, I doubt the people who buy Adele records do either. Your spiel about other "neo soul" singers being overlooked is air. It's not about genre it's about appeal and markets, understand?

She's a classic singer, no frills, personable etc

Her Brits performance was evidence of that, stripped back, people like that sort of thing

Mums and daughters

Then why ain't the other singers in this mode selling records?

What others?

DiffusionOfInnovation.png

sick

What you mean what others?

If you don't know then it just shows how little you know about the genre of Neo Soul/Soul i'm tire of naming artists.

I dunno shit about "Neo Soul" mate, I doubt the people who buy Adele records do either. Your spiel about other "neo soul" singers being overlooked is air. It's not about genre it's about appeal and markets, understand?

What do you mean by your last point?

You mean its about labels giving a fat white girl a bigger push than other soul singers?

"She's a classic singer, no frills, personable etc"

This is what you said, i replied there is plenty of singers who are 'classic singers' no frills and are personable.

Pop Music these days is clearly not about the music. Its about the record labels marketing ability that's judged by these charts really

tbh Adele's success has probably got a lot of marketing moguls scratching their heads, in many ways she's the opposite of the modern pop star in a lot of ways but she appeals to every age group.

Lol like this hasn't become marketing in itself, how many singers nowdays are getting marketed as 'real working class people, with real problems\' etc, it ain't no anomaly, singers like her are fast becoming the prototype.

Tell me another couple of artists similar to Adele who have been marketed like she has and appeal to every age group.

The whole rap scene for one, artists like The Streets, Winehouse, its becoming something that is more apparent.

Maybe i've been reading too much Daily Mail, but i'm tired of hearing ' So and so artist came from a tough council estate in South London'

The mainstream rap scene, artists like Plan B, Example, Tinie Tempah, N Dubz, The Streets, the media is always banging on about how they are just normal working class people who grew up in a rough estate, its a part of their appeal, labels understand that thats what a lot of people want to hear, whether it be in sports music or celebrity culture in general, knowing that your just a normal person with a normal background endears people to you as a star.

What do you mean by your last point?

You mean its about labels giving a fat white girl a bigger push than other soul singers?

"She's a classic singer, no frills, personable etc"

This is what you said, i replied there is plenty of singers who are 'classic singers' no frills and are personable.

That's one factor but it's not the only one yet it's clearly the only one you're interested in discussing.

I didn't say that Esq did, he also said

Mums and daughters

I don't think he means working class people, most stars today have rags to riches stories anyway.

He talking about a fat, frumpy, pasty girl as opposed to your usual J.Lo/Cassie/Beyonce being given a chance and being successful.

It is cynical to think she is the new marketing prototype but you may have a point.

Either way it is better than the system we had before, ie no talent and just looks.

I'll take this new marketing strategy over the last one, anyday.

The mainstream rap scene, artists like Plan B, Example, Tinie Tempah, N Dubz, The Streets, the media is always banging on about how they are just normal working class people who grew up in a rough estate, its a part of their appeal, labels understand that thats what a lot of people want to hear, whether it be in sports music or celebrity culture in general, knowing that your just a normal person with a normal background endears people to you as a star.

Yes - but the music is just as integral to your appeal

Norma from Newark-on-Trent isn't going to listen to N Dubz is she? That's just noise to her

i hate when people over analyse shit

adele was not marketed in any other way apart from her voice and her soulful songs

there was nothing pushed about her background...those are the useless shit media go and research and shove in at people later on

and i doubt it had any impact on her sales,

lilly allen came from posh upbringing it had ntohign to do with her initial success..the posh shit came later on.

any marketing mogul scratching his/her over adele's success should be fired...or should remember that Music was once about the talent....not the marketing gimmick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

rah im pos'in venom.

adele was not marketed in any other way apart from her voice and her soulful songs

there was nothing pushed about her background...those are the useless shit media go and research and shove in at people later on

lilly allen came from posh upbringing it had ntohign to do with her initial success..the posh shit came later on.

any marketing mogul scratching his/her over adele's success should be fired...or should remember that Music was once about the talent....not the marketing gimmick

You're so worked up you seem to have missed that was exactly the point I was making.

• Downvote 1

u were not making any point, she is not an anomaly

we get people like her every few years who have massive success despite their non typical image the industry is used to pushing.

ur problem is memory

Yes I was making a point and yes she is an anomaly.

You might put Lily Allen and Adele in the same bracket because they're both females but to males who look at them on a very basic level they're miles apart. I'm not sure if you see or care for what I'm getting at?

The Adelles of this world are becoming the prototype in the music industry. Labels are realizing that a lot of the times people don't want over polished groomed pop acts, thats marketing in itself, and music is about the talent when it comes to certain people, theres hundreds of talented soul singers who are decent songwriters who never get the push. The fact Adelle is some overweight average looking white girl definitely works in her advantage, she has talent, but has the music industry has shown many a time talent isn't enough.

u were not making any point, she is not an anomaly

we get people like her every few years who have massive success despite their non typical image the industry is used to pushing.

ur problem is memory

Yes I was making a point and yes she is an anomaly.

You might put Lily Allen and Adele in the same bracket because they're both females but to males who look at them on a very basic level they're miles apart. I'm not sure if you see or care for what I'm getting at?

Adelle is an anomaly, but at the same time she isn't if you get what i mean.

In the past few years the industry has been oversaturated with blue eyed soul singers with major success.

• 4 weeks later...

On another note, I stumbled across JME's wiki today.

Saw he self released Blam and it said he sold 20k.

screenhunter01sep161606.jpg

That is a VERY decent number.

He woulda made over 100k if the figures are right, there are man doing this independently and living.

for sure

JmeBBK JME / Jamie Adenuga

The whips parked off #BoyBetterKnow http://twitpic.com/6znt6i

422694522.jpg

and thats legit

ratings.