Technique vs Athleticism

Guest M12

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the_truth_hurts
I regard technique as how you control and strike the ball.
yeah pretty much - its just the way you do things and how succesful you are when doing them for Example Ronaldinho hasn't got the textbook technique but its definately effective so you'd have to say he's got good technique. I would say Adebayor has a bad technique though his first touch is debateable but his dribbling, shooting and passing is way off but thats another topic.Football needs a mixture of both and both can succeed thats why you have a player like Essien who's a midfield monster but also a player like Iniesta who plays a similar role but much different both can do the job because they're good players. Its also why Veron can flop despite having net level technique yet A.Johnson can do well despite havig basic ability but good speed. Premiership football favours the athlete but most other league favour the technical player.dynamat gerrard would be an example of a player who's both an athlete and a good technical player but theres quite a few around these days the most obvious one that people forgets are Seedorf,Davids,Cafu and yes Ronaldo was the ultimate combination of both.

hmm i think we have different ideas of what technique actually is.if you were to define technique what would you say it was
Technique i see as everything basically.From the way you bring a ball down from the air, Shooting, passing. Agree with Muderous, Lampard has very good technique, wouldn't say he's technically gifted but hes very good.Huddlestone has good technique(Laugh now, but real guys know)At this moment, Pirlo is one of the most technically gifted player in the world right now.Skills can fall down to a certain extent, most technical guys can do all that, but most people don't need it.
Said it from day.In 4 years he will be one of the worlds best center midfielders.
If huddlestone had the mobility/athleticism of someone like Jenas....he would be the complete player.

technique >>>athleticismplayers like drogba if he was 5'9 nd small build would be sh*t he wouldnt be any where near the premiershipplayers like robin van persie if he was 5'9 would still be bigthats why i rate man like zolafootball is about football not about athletics, technique is doing stuff with the ball, being strong and running fast aint what i wanna see but it can be effective

technique >>>athleticismplayers like drogba if he was 5'9 nd small build would be sh*t he wouldnt be any where near the premiershipplayers like robin van persie if he was 5'9 would still be bigthats why i rate man like zolafootball is about football not about athletics, technique is doing stuff with the ball, being strong and running fast aint what i wanna see but it can be effective
Rio Ferdinand is athletic, so is Nesta, so was Viera the list is endless of players who would not be half as good if they didnt have the athleticism also.

Rio Ferdinand is athletic, so is Nesta, so was Viera the list is endless of players who would not be half as good if they didnt have the athleticism also.
i meant like players who r purely jus athletes basically very little level of techniquethose players are athtletes but with thechnique

The standard of footballers in the last 10 years has dropped, its getting quite scary & its because of the huge emphasis on the "Athlete".Agbonlahoor & Walcott are just two examplesBoth two young roadrunners (strikers by trade) Walcott doesnt know how to beat players, control a ball (sometimes) and his final ball & decsison making are very hit & miss.Gabby had to go onto the wing to quote "learn the game" in the words of O'Neil, his final ball, decision making, finishing were hit & miss.Garry O'Neil is a much better footballer than both of them but they get touted as future England starts & coaches would prefer to work with Wally & Gabby coz they have the raw materials (pace) and try to mould them into footballers.Gareth Barry is a another player with no great pace but is a good footballer, yet got overlooked for years for England.You have to be fit but you must possess football skills

i meant like players who r purely jus athletes basically very little level of techniquethose players are athtletes but with thechnique
Of course players with low level of technique are sh*t.But in this day and age you cant be all technique and no athleticism, the game is too powerful, man like Seedorf will gobble you up out here.Look at Mark Gonzales for example, he used to get eaten by pure man, got a lot of skill but he is weak as sh*t, not the most athletic either.