Sony offers cut-price PlayStation

Doom

It's official. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has just announced a new 40GB PS3 which will launch in Europe for the price of â¬399. It will be available starting October 10th. As predicted, the new model features two USB 2.0 ports rather than four and no longer includes the multi memory card port. Strangely, the model also loses backwards compatibility support for PS2 games.The existing 60GB Starter Pack will be reduced in price to â¬499. It will be on sale "while stocks last."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7030164.stm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony has also slashed the price of the 60GB model from £425 to £349, as it hopes to ignite sales.The entry-level PS3 is now the same price as an Xbox 360 Elite, which has a 120GB hard drive.However, the PS3 has built-in wi-fi connectivity and a high definition Blu-ray DVD player. An add-on HD-DVD drive and wi-fi peripheral are available to Xbox 360 owners at extra expense. The Nintendo Wii costs £179 but does not have high definition graphics or DVD playback, and relies instead on an innovative motion-sensitive control system.
lol i was just reading this as well..I'm tempted to get one. Maybe soon.

an plus that deal aint worth itllow not having back compatibility, 2 usb ports, no mem card ting, 40 gb..im struggling with 60gb
what have you filled your harddrive with?can u watch xvid files on your ps3? not via orb but directly?
music/videos/demos/full gamesgot like 15gb left after deleting nuff demoserm im not sure what files i'll find out for you

an plus that deal aint worth itllow not having back compatibility, 2 usb ports, no mem card ting, 40 gb..im struggling with 60gb
what have you filled your harddrive with?can u watch xvid files on your ps3? not via orb but directly?
cant find the list with what files you can playi dont think you can play avi's

Nobody buy this unless Backward Compatabilty gets added on.Something they can put in the console so easily without cost, and they choose to not put it in,
ermmmbluray (which the games are stored on) uses a different laser which is more expensive which is prob why its cheaper with no compatibility, as far as im away the bluray laser cnt read DVD'sthey need to put 2 different lasers in the drive or sutinas far as i know

Nobody buy this unless Backward Compatabilty gets added on.Something they can put in the console so easily without cost, and they choose to not put it in,
ermmmbluray (which the games are stored on) uses a different laser which is more expensive which is prob why its cheaper with no compatibility, as far as im away the bluray laser cnt read DVD'sthey need to put 2 different lasers in the drive or sutinas far as i know
No , the ps3 can read dvd's and it can also upscale the picture for full hd 1080p tv sets (movies & games)Plus i didnt mean it in that way.The ps3 has a software emulator that plays ps2 games on your ps3. thats what the 60gb ps3's in europe have now.they used to have the ps2 chip (emotion engine) and use that and put in the ps3 to make ps2 games work on ps3 , but that cost too much for sony. which is why they stopped it and the only ones that have this are in america.so they invested in an emulator that plays ps2 games without having to put ps2 hardware inside the ps3 since it cost alot of money to make that happen.and since everyone in europe with 60gb ps3 has this,they should have still put it indside the 40gb because it doesnt cost alot of moneyjust to put an emulator inside a ps3 as opposed to having real ps2 chips inside the ps3.thats why nobody should buy this , until they understand that people in europe still play thier ps2 games on thier ps3 and dont want to play ps2 games on thier ps2's because people now have HDTV's and would like to see thier ps2 games in HD like since sony have promised and bragged about high defintion since the console came out.